PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
121 posts since 26 May, 2020 from Norway

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 am

I'm having problems figuring out how to load Sysex files as it appears only one sound is loaded into PG-8X (the manual says (under the "Loading banks" section it says "*.SYX JX-8P (or Super-JX) sysex file, see SYSEX section", but I can't find any sysex section).

I've used "Sysex librarian" (Mac) to dump a full bank (32 tones) and save it as a .SYX file. I've simply pressed each of the 32 tone buttons on the JX-8P, one after the other while Sysex Librarian is set to receive, so the files should be OK.

Does PG-8X expect only a single tone from each .SYX file? It'll take me forever to create all those sysex files from my JX-8P if that's the case.

Another question: can PG-8X save sysex files which can then be used (i.e. with "Sysex Librarian" or similar Sysex-dumping software) to load those tones into an MKS-70? I have loads of tones from my JX-8P, but will be replacing it with an MKS-70 and want to use my old sounds.

KVRer
2 posts since 9 Dec, 2019

Post Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am

E-crooner - Teksonic. Thanks for the assistance!! Now then, do either of you have the sysex data for the JX8P Factory Presets?

If so, can you publish them? Virgin or not - I am a user of this Vsti, and with a full life at my disposal, can only get on here every now and then!

KVRAF
2875 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am

KVRist
83 posts since 5 Nov, 2003 from Netherlands

Post Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:04 am

Hi,

Is it possible to load Roland MKS-70 (JX-10) and/or J8-XP soundbanks into the PG-8X vst, adjust them (or create your own soundbank) and send them via sysex to the MKS-70 or JX-10 hardware synth?

This functionality plus using the VST as a controller for the hardware synth would be really great.

KVRist

Post Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 am

Good question as I'm wondering about the same thing. I'm not sure if JX-8P tones are 100% compatible with the JX-10/MKS-70 (and vice versa) but need to somehow be converted. Perhaps someone else reading knows the details of this?

Maybe PG-8X can do these things or have this functionality added?

Adding all this would sort of be like what the Dexed plugin can do with a real hardware DX-7 :tu:

KVRist

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:30 pm

dynamo wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 am

Another question: can PG-8X save sysex files which can then be used (i.e. with "Sysex Librarian" or similar Sysex-dumping software) to load those tones into an MKS-70? I have loads of tones from my JX-8P, but will be replacing it with an MKS-70 and want to use my old sounds.
This does not seem to work unfortunately...

KVRist

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:58 pm

pixie42 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm
Ok.. problem solved, (not the mystery of EvilDragon true nature, sorry about that).
My JX 10 is now reading PGX8 file like a champ !
I have simply asked Mr. Frederic Vecoven, the coding genius who wrote the new JX10 firmware.
He has sent me in return a new release of the firmware featuring a JX8P-PG8X import menu.
It's working great , the JX 10 is really an analog beast, for those who wonder, the JX10 is actually 2 JX8P in 1 board; It behaves like a 12 voice JX8P or a 6 voice bitimbral JX8P
Which Vecoven chip did you install? Or is this purely a software update?

KVRian

Topic Starter

949 posts since 27 Jun, 2009 from Germany

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am

Hi All. First of all, Thanks to all who are using the plugin and in particular those who offered support to other users here in the forum.

Sorry that I completely disappeared from this forum for so long. A lot of things happened in the past years. I changed my job, moved back to Germany, got involved in (and for a time obsessed by) VCV Rack, and recently also have much more to do in my real-life job. Furthermore, I do not have an up-to-date Mac anymore to continue the Mac support. Due to all this, I now decided to release the code as open source, hoping that somebody will be able continue what I planned:

* proper port to IPlug2
* port to new Mac Silicon
* resizable GUI
* "doubling up" the plugin to create a 'MLS-70'. In fact, I bought a MKS-70 a few years back to work on that, but then never really got started...

I am currently going through some code cleaning and will open a new thread, once the code is public. I will try to help as much as I can, but definitely I need help from the community to push this through, in particular for anything Mac related.

For a possibly MLS-70 update, we also would need some more feedback from people who own an MKS-70, as mine seems to have some issues with the filter, and is most likely not typical for the sound.

Maybe, in an community effort, we can still pull it off, and get the PG-8X ready for another lease.

Cheers,
Martin

KVRAF
3199 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am

Awesome!
A well-behaved signature.

KVRist

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks Martin! Much appreciated.
I also have an MKS-70, so if I get the time I might be able to do some testing.
Hopefully there will also be an updated AU (Audio Units) plugin version of PG-8X.

KVRian
985 posts since 19 Apr, 2004

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 am

8) been playing PG8X for the past couple days, lol must have known something was coming.
Been running on Linux using WINE and LinVst works perfect. Maybe there can now be a native Linux VST?

KVRAF
21243 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:08 am

martin_l wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am
Hi All. First of all, Thanks to all who are using the plugin and in particular those who offered support to other users here in the forum.

Sorry that I completely disappeared from this forum for so long. A lot of things happened in the past years. I changed my job, moved back to Germany, got involved in (and for a time obsessed by) VCV Rack, and recently also have much more to do in my real-life job. Furthermore, I do not have an up-to-date Mac anymore to continue the Mac support. Due to all this, I now decided to release the code as open source, hoping that somebody will be able continue what I planned:

* proper port to IPlug2
* resizable GUI
* "doubling up" the plugin to create a 'MLS-70'. In fact, I bought a MKS-70 a few years back to work on that, but then never really got started...

I am currently going through some code cleaning and will open a new thread, once the code is public. I will try to help as much as I can, but definitely I need help from the community to push this through, in particular for anything Mac related.

For a possibly MLS-70 update, we also would need some more feedback from people who own an MKS-70, as mine seems to have some issues with the filter, and is most likely not typical for the sound.

Maybe, in an community effort, we can still pull it off, and get the PG-8X ready for another lease.

Cheers,
Martin
You got the Surge Synth Team interested, that's for sure! :)

(And I own an MKS-70, and am one cogwheel in the above mentioned team ;))

We'd probably rather want to port it to JUCE, though...

At any rate, if you want to discuss anything and everything regarding open-sourcing and more, you will always be welcome to join our Discord server!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRist
365 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am

Yeah neat stuff. Thanks for chosing to do this rather than abandon the synth!

I got involved with Surge to get the mac port going. Happy to look at your code once it is OpenSource (presume you will pick GPL3?). And if you want to chat about the experience we had with surge (and since then stochas and others) as they made their journey to open source, happy to chat on the surge discord or here.

KVRist

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Awesome! I’m on OSX Mojave and also own a MKS-70 so hook me up if you need any help

KVRer
26 posts since 18 Aug, 2020

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:46 pm

martin_l wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am

* proper port to IPlug2
* resizable GUI

Cheers,
Martin
Huge news Martin! Good to hear the PG-8X is a wonderful project

Return to “Instruments”