What's the best apple iPad software for making music (besides GarageBand)?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting my first iPad soon, and was wondering if any of you guys could point me to some great music making software for the iPad besides Apple's GarageBand (which I obviously love) that I should look into? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Borderlands
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins

Hi pinbot - make sure that you check out the Audiobus forum as it is the best place to get the news and discussion regarding iOS music production.

If you’re looking at DAWs/hosts then there are many preferred over GarageBand including AUM, Cubasis 3, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, Audio Evolution, etc.

Regarding apps (plugins) - it is good to know the difference between AUv3 format apps, and the older and soon to be deprecated IAA format apps. Many of us now only buy AUv3 format apps because you can run multiple instances, save the state in a session, and automate the parameters within a DAW. AUv3’s also tend to be more stable as well.

My personal favourite apps today are the Bram Bos apps, Kai Aras synths, IK MixBox, VirSyn synths, IceWorks synths and FX, Poison, GR-16 Groovebox, Skiiid, Koala, FAC FX apps, Toneboosters, FabFilter, Eventide, Nembrini...

Whoa there’s so many now! Have fun!!

Oh, and yes, Drambo is amazing as well.

If you are trying out Drambo, MiRack (VCV fork), and Mozaic then they all have patches on Patchstorage that really expand them as apps.

GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 am Hi pinbot - make sure that you check out the Audiobus forum as it is the best place to get the news and discussion regarding iOS music production.

If you’re looking at DAWs/hosts then there are many preferred over GarageBand including AUM, Cubasis 3, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, Audio Evolution, etc.

Regarding apps (plugins) - it is good to know the difference between AUv3 format apps, and the older and soon to be deprecated IAA format apps. Many of us now only buy AUv3 format apps because you can run multiple instances, save the state in a session, and automate the parameters within a DAW. AUv3’s also tend to be more stable as well.

My personal favourite apps today are the Bram Bos apps, Kai Aras synths, IK MixBox, VirSyn synths, IceWorks synths and FX, Poison, GR-16 Groovebox, Skiiid, Koala, FAC FX apps, Toneboosters, FabFilter, Eventide, Nembrini...

So how can I tell which apps are AUv3 format and which ones are IAA format?

I know Yamaha possibly has some stuff, but does Yamaha's synthesizer software for the iPad work alone or do I actually have to have an actual synthesizer from Yamaha to use the iPad software that Yamaha has? I know Roland has ZenBeats, but is there anything else by Roland that I should look into? I know Arturia's got a few synthesizers for the iPad.

IMO The most musical sequencer is Fugue Machine, favourite instrument is Moog Model 15 and drum machine is Patterning 2 though the new iOS version of Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer is really good value too. Also take a look at the Korg versions like the ARP Odyssei.
I don’t like any of the DAWs though they’re a bit weak.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

pinbot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 pm
GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 am Hi pinbot - make sure that you check out the Audiobus forum as it is the best place to get the news and discussion regarding iOS music production.

So how can I tell which apps are AUv3 format and which ones are IAA format?
Well, if you really want to dive in there’s this Google Sheet that a guy called Bill Sherry keeps up to date on the iOS Audiounits Facebook group https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... A/htmlview

Everything goes on sale at some point which you can track here https://appsliced.co/apps?sort=latest&t ... 5B%5D=6011

Or just watch the sales threads on the Audiobus forum.

Thanks for all the info so far! That spreadsheet and the link for the sale tracker is going to be very handy in the near future!

GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 amIf you’re looking at DAWs/hosts then there are many preferred over GarageBand including AUM, Cubasis 3, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, Audio Evolution, etc.
After buying all the various hosts, I find I like Garageband the best and ended up back using it... not the most feature capable obviously, but it works really well using touch on the iPad. Auria Pro is imo the most all around feature full, but it feels like someone took a desktop app and just brought it to the iPad. It is not designed well for the iPad touch workflow.

Garageband also supports MPE which matters to me.

Aum is also excellent. Really fluid and fun to use. No midi piano roll so not good for that. But a great design suited to the iPad.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm
GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 amIf you’re looking at DAWs/hosts then there are many preferred over GarageBand including AUM, Cubasis 3, BM3, NS2, Auria Pro, Audio Evolution, etc.
After buying all the various hosts, I find I like Garageband the best and ended up back using it... not the most feature capable obviously, but it works really well using touch on the iPad. Auria Pro is imo the most all around feature full, but it feels like someone took a desktop app and just brought it to the iPad. It is not designed well for the iPad touch workflow.

Aum is also excellent. Really fluid and fun to use. No midi piano roll so not good for that. But a great design suited to the iPad.
Yes. You can do a lot in GarageBand. I live in AUM for loops and BM3 for sampling/MPC workflow.

There’s an update coming to the Atom midi sequencer/piano roll that is really going to open things up in AUM.

GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm

Yes. You can do a lot in GarageBand. I live in AUM for loops and BM3 for sampling/MPC workflow.

There’s an update coming to the Atom midi sequencer/piano roll that is really going to open things up in AUM.
When will that come out? Is Atom as actual piano roll? or just a sequencer?

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:03 pm
GusGranite wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm

When will that come out? Is Atom as actual piano roll? or just a sequencer?
I think it’s actually going to be a new app: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4026 ... g-soon/p35

There is only one true professional DAW for iPad Pro - Auria Pro

Cubasis 3 is a great runner up and it is starting to catch up with updates but it’s not auria Pro killer yet....

Man I hope they get auria to work with Rosetta 2 on m1 macs as I would drop Cubase and logic for auria

Also - audiobus is a great tool for linking VSTs to auria Pro

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”