vst guitar vs real thing

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so im learning how to produce on a couple
of songs i can play the keyboard a bit have a basic understanding of theroy
and i can strum an acoustic
i want some guitar strumming chugging etc and i also like the shoegazey chorusey washed out guitar sound and clean 80s sound.

now the question should i get a vst to do this do you think ? like ujam or reason a list guitarist ( reason user)
or should i pull out the cheap guitar i bought a week ago i mean im 41 how long will it take before i can record some chugging or chords in my music like i said i can strum open chords on an acoustic
whats your advice time is against me
because i still have dreams...

dreams.

depends what the dreams are.
personally if the dream is to have people who you don't know, who love for example shoe gaze, to listen to your music and want to listen again...
hire someone who can do it.

if your dream is to learn...
then just try it all, see which works.

how important is authentic sounding guitar to the dream?

im no maestro on guitar or synth, my only goal/dream is to have fun. so i do.
and im happy.
others are more focused on the outcome, and they are happy.

if you know your chords, chugging on 5ths should be no issue really, look on pootube for some palm muting tutorials :)

Why not both? Layer the software version with your strumming to get a more organic sound.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:36 pm dreams.

personally if the dream is to have people who you don't know, who love for example shoe gaze, to listen to your music and want to listen again...

and im happy.

if you know your chords, chugging on 5ths should be no issue really, look on pootube for some palm muting tutorials :)
ive always been a singer recorded a few acoustic things
but getting my head around the production thing a bit more

pop is my thing but i guess more indie pop so guitars aint everything
im really thinking about getting better at guitar or piano like go full throttle into it not virtuoso like rhythm guitar or a slow competent pianist
or just use it all fake and produce it
im thinking what way to go
as my plan is to go sing it all when its done which will be later this year hopefully

If your goal is to take the easy way out.....than just relax and do it all in the box.
Plenty of hip-hop and edm is made by kiddies on i-phones that think they're now producers.
And surprisingly enough, some of them actually get other people that don't know or care about quality music made by musicians to not only listen to it but buy it as well. Kanye comes to mind. Whatever makes you happy. Just don't expect respect from actual musicians.

There's a saying amongst computer coders.......G.I.G.O.....garbage in garbage out. :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm should i pull out the cheap guitar i bought a week ago
What else were you planning do with it?
vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pmi mean im 41 how long will it take before i can record some chugging or chords in my music like i said i can strum open chords on an acoustic
Takes most people around 1000 hours practise to become competent ...
vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm whats your advice time is against me
The time is now ... time to start practising ;)

or use samples

If you need to ask this question you should probably stick with a vsti. I use 'em, and I've been playing guitar since I was 14.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 pm Takes most people around 1000 hours practise to become competent ...

Still much music to be made whilst being incompetent though. Why else would the digital gods have given us multiple takes and punch-in recording? :hihi:

vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm so im learning how to produce on a couple
of songs i can play the keyboard a bit have a basic understanding of theroy
and i can strum an acoustic
i want some guitar strumming chugging etc and i also like the shoegazey chorusey washed out guitar sound and clean 80s sound.

now the question should i get a vst to do this do you think ? like ujam or reason a list guitarist ( reason user)
or should i pull out the cheap guitar i bought a week ago i mean im 41 how long will it take before i can record some chugging or chords in my music like i said i can strum open chords on an acoustic
whats your advice time is against me
Follow your dreams and learn the guitar and don't stress if it takes you a fair amount of time to get confident.
41 is a young age still.

However, fwiw, there are many good options for guitar vsti libraries out there.
I can't play guitar to save my life, so I often use the excellent guitar (and other instrument) libraries from this developer within some of my compositions:

https://insessionaudio.com/

and im happy.

Last night I dreamed that I had to poop and the only bathroom around didn’t have any stalls, just out in the open toilets and people kept walking by. What should I do?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:51 am

and im happy.

Last night I dreamed that I had to poop and the only bathroom around didn’t have any stalls, just out in the open toilets and people kept walking by. What should I do?
my poop dreams, i too need to drop the anchor, but every toilet i find looks like the one in trainspotting! :o
and i don't fancy sitting in a pool of shit :shrug:

unlike piss dreams though, i tend not to wake up in dire need of a shit after a poop dream..
piss dream it's like defcon 1!

you should buy a fuzz pedal of course.
that's the answer to all questions :)

hope this helps :tu:

CapnLockheed wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:25 pm If your goal is to take the easy way out.....than just relax and do it all in the box.
Plenty of hip-hop and edm is made by kiddies on i-phones that think they're now producers.
And surprisingly enough, some of them actually get other people that don't know or care about quality music made by musicians to not only listen to it but buy it as well. Kanye comes to mind. Whatever makes you happy. Just don't expect respect from actual musicians.

There's a saying amongst computer coders.......G.I.G.O.....garbage in garbage out. :D
Why so sneering? Why target only certain genres of music with your wrath? What have you done that's equivalent of Kanye West's output? I'll defer to you on your knowledge of 'garbage', I'll leave that to the experts.

OP: I'm older than you and got from zero to not bad on the bass in quite a short time. Keep practicing and as others have suggested, layer too.

Unrelated, KVR needs to get a younger audience or its doomed to be the domain of the 'get off my old lawn' brigade. Are there similar places to KVR with a less old giffer vibe? I say that as an old giffer myself who simply rejects that vibe.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:38 am
CapnLockheed wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:25 pm If your goal is to take the easy way out.....than just relax and do it all in the box.

Why so sneering? Why target only certain genres of music with your wrath? What have you done that's equivalent of Kanye West's output? I'll defer to you on your knowledge of 'garbage', I'll leave that to the experts.

OP: I'm older than you and got from zero to not bad on the bass in quite a short time. Keep practicing and as others have suggested, layer too.

Unrelated, KVR needs to get a younger audience or its doomed to be the domain of the 'get off my old lawn' brigade. Are there similar places to KVR with a less old giffer vibe? I say that as an old giffer myself who simply rejects that vibe.
tbh i like electrinic indie pop stuff so im gonna mix guitar with electronic beats and synths antway so your right
Last edited by vunn on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

thabks a lot if these answers are a big help

vunn wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:44 am
revvy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:38 am

tbh i like electrinic indie pop stufg so im gonna mix guitar with electronic beats and sytnths antway so your right

..and expanding upon that, some widdlers will say that you have to be some manner of virtuoso before you ever press record. I say (as I often do..) bollocks. Pick it up as you go along and learn as you do it. Lots of fun to be had even with just a few chords and some effects. Plus, the technology these days makes it easy to cobble together something presentable out of a right assortment of shite..been doing it for years. :hihi:

It's supposed to be fun!

Return to “Guitars”