Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

To everyone on the team: great work on the new features and the new skins. This superb synth is getting better and better.

This synth is so feature-deep... That's quite impressive for a 15 years old synth! :o :love:

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm Actually, can anyone of you kind people see if the Vel>Gain and Gain sliders in Amp section are in that specific order? By default Vel>Gain should be all the way up and is unipolar (and is on the left), and Gain is bipolar and by default it's in the middle.

The code at head says it should be just fine, which means the internal bug report we had is a false alarm. But 1.8.1 might still happen :)
Yes, Vel>Gain is on the left and unipolar (0 to -48dB) and Gain is on the right and bipolar (+-48dB). Using the Dark skin.

And thanks for the update, you've really outdone yourselves :)

sinkmusic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 pm This synth is so feature-deep... That's quite impressive for a 15 years old synth! :o :love:
Well, a great great number of features were added only in the last 2 years!

baconpaul wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm @Teksonik - The skin manual is linked on the surge skins menu and explains how it works.
Thanks but let me rephrase my questions if anyone knows. Why does editing the actual background .png for the 125% zoom level as noted in the .xml file:

<image zoom-level="125" resource="assets/background@125.png"/>

To this have no effect on the background at the 125% zoom level ?

Surge 011721-1.png
Also why does making a copy of a skin, renaming it and also changing the name in the .xml file on the line <surge-skin name="Royal Surge" not work ? The new skin doesn't show up in the list even after doing "Rescan Skins".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

On Windows the situation is a bit tricky. We don't have HiDPI support implemented proper yet, so we have a double-sized pixel store when converting SVGs to pixels before shooting them on the screen. This also means that 2x sized asset is used in Royal Surge skin case. So if your zoom is set to 150%, 300% PNG is used actually, so that's the one you should edit. We hope to improve this in 1.9, if all goes well (but no promises - but HiDPI on Windows is a very complicated subject).

As for the skin copy, you need to make sure the folder name absolutely ends in .surge-skin because that's how they're recognized. I just tried it by copying and naming the folder Royal Surge 2.surge-skin and tweaking the XML appropriately, and refresh skins and it showed up.

Is anybody successfully using the new version on Harrison Mixbus on Mac?

I can only insert the 1.8.0 version by first creating a track with a different synth, then adding Surge, then turning off the other one. Removing the other one doesn't work. Directly creating a track with Surge as the Midi instrument creates a track with no synth.

Surge 1.7.x worked normally.

ETA: Works fine on Linux with 1.8.0 and Mixbus.
Last edited by uOpt on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 pm On Windows the situation is a bit tricky. We don't have HiDPI support implemented proper yet, so we have a double-sized pixel store when converting SVGs to pixels before shooting them on the screen. This also means that 2x sized asset is used in Royal Surge skin case. So if your zoom is set to 150%, 300% PNG is used actually, so that's the one you should edit. We hope to improve this in 1.9, if all goes well (but no promises - but HiDPI on Windows is a very complicated subject).

As for the skin copy, you need to make sure the folder name absolutely ends in .surge-skin because that's how they're recognized. I just tried it by copying and naming the folder Royal Surge 2.surge-skin and tweaking the XML appropriately, and refresh skins and it showed up.
Ahh that did it thanks. Making sure it ends in .surge.skin and editing the background that's twice the size of the desired zoom worked. :tu:

Here's the results. No offense to the original artist. I was just mucking about while watching the football games. The forum is making it look really fuzzy.

Surge 011721-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm Actually, can anyone of you kind people see if the Vel>Gain and Gain sliders in Amp section are in that specific order? By default Vel>Gain should be all the way up and is unipolar (and is on the left), and Gain is bipolar and by default it's in the middle.

The code at head says it should be just fine, which means the internal bug report we had is a false alarm. But 1.8.1 might still happen :)
Seems fine here as well, on Windows 10 in Reaper. Love the new version with all sorts of stuff I hadn't even dreamed to see in Surge. :clap:

Could a couple of modulators ever be added to the effects bank plugin sometime in the future? Or is there any sort of technicalities or priorities preventing this?

One little thing: whenever I chose Window osc and "Load wavetable from file" the osc type is changed to Wt. Is this intentional? I can't remember this happening with older versions. I load Serum format 32-bit wav files made with Serum.

Gone soft wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:55 am One little thing: whenever I chose Window osc and "Load wavetable from file" the osc type is changed to Wt. Is this intentional? I can't remember this happening with older versions. I load Serum format 32-bit wav files made with Serum.
This code didn't change in a long while, so it was likely like that all along. Good report, we have it tracked as issue #3657!

I assume the zooming behaviour of the Royal skin should be different to the other skins?

As in, I don't get the grow and shrink options and (for me on Reaper) the 125% option just makes the window bigger, the actual gui stays the same top left of the window?

Besides that, great work guys, your efforts are much appreciated.

Royal Surge window has fixed zoom levels due to PNG backgrounds used. You cannot get, for example, 135% zoom.

We've tested zoom pretty thoroughly and actually had some zooming fixes for various hosts, so it should work fine. Over here in Reaper it seems good, so we'd need more info about your particular configuration. Perhaps also a video?

One thing I noticed with the Royal Surge skin is that the text is smaller (on some parts) and it has less contrast, so I understand that for this reason also, some users feel that the zooming is different (I am using the dark skin at 125%, but ROyal needs to be scaled to 150% to be as readable as the others).

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:32 am
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 pm On Windows the situation is a bit tricky. We don't have HiDPI support implemented proper yet, so we have a double-sized pixel store when converting SVGs to pixels before shooting them on the screen. This also means that 2x sized asset is used in Royal Surge skin case. So if your zoom is set to 150%, 300% PNG is used actually, so that's the one you should edit. We hope to improve this in 1.9, if all goes well (but no promises - but HiDPI on Windows is a very complicated subject).

Ahh that did it thanks. Making sure it ends in .surge.skin and editing the background that's twice the size of the desired zoom worked. :tu:

Here's the results. No offense to the original artist. I was just mucking about while watching the football games. The forum is making it look really fuzzy.

Surge 011721-2.png
Looks great! will this be available for download?

Anyone knows is Venus Theory skin version is available for download?

Return to “Instruments”