DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: After several weeks, this post attracted some attention to my private messages, where we discussed the possibility of making a DSP563xx emulator
Knowing that all synths below all share the same Motorola 563xx DSP, would be interesting making some kind of megaemu:

TC Electronics PowerCore - 4x Freescale DSP 56367
Waldorf MW2/XT — Motorola 56303
Waldorf Q — Motorola 56303
Clavia Micro Modular — Motorola 56303
Clavia Nord Modular — Motorola 56303
Nord Lead 3 — 6 Motorola 56362
Nord Modular — 4 Motorola 56303
Novation SuperNova — Motorola 56303
Novation Nova — 5 Motorola 56362 (synth engine), and 1 Motorola 56303 (fx unit)
Korg MS2000 — Motorola 56362
Korg Microkorg — Motorola 56362
Access Virus A — Motorola 56303
Access Virus B — Motorola 56311
Access Virus C - Motorola 56362
Access Virus TI - 2x Freescale DSP 56367
Access Virus TI2 - 2x Freescale DSP 56367. Later models used DSP56321

(More info here)
Some progress was made and now we have an emulator that is able to run some demos correctly. Keep in mind that getting different ROMs would be up to you

Link on github: https://github.com/Lyve1981/dsp56300

We've set up a Discord server in case anyone wants to join the discussion/development, so feel free to enter:

Link to the server: https://discord.gg/mveFUNbNCK
Last edited by numerouno on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

563xx is only a part of the story because other hardware needs to be emulated as well ... CPU, MIDI I/O, audio I/O, etc. I was thinking about making Waldorf Q emulator for a long time, since I decoded BOOT/OS files and developed my Machine Monitor for Waldorf Q/Q+.

The time is always a problem but during this year I think I'll finish everything what I planned, so maybe now is the time to start thinking about it more seriously ...

Holy shit. All those ROM dumps!! :o
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:33 am Holy shit. All those ROM dumps!! :o
I know right! :love:

Update: We have a team assembled now and its actively being worked on daily, just thought I would let anybody whos interested know

https://github.com/Lyve1981/dsp56300/tr ... /dsp56kEmu

If you want to jump into our Discord private group let me know
Last edited by numerouno on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Github page 404 for me. Is there an IP (intellectual property not Internet protocol) issue here?

resynthesis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 pm Github page 404 for me. Is there an IP (intellectual property not Internet protocol) issue here?
My mistake, I copied the link wrong :) all sorted now

Is this the same DSP chip used by the TC PoweCore card?

HrastProgrammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 am 563xx is only a part of the story because other hardware needs to be emulated as well ... CPU, MIDI I/O, audio I/O, etc. I was thinking about making Waldorf Q emulator for a long time, since I decoded BOOT/OS files and developed my Machine Monitor for Waldorf Q/Q+.

The time is always a problem but during this year I think I'll finish everything what I planned, so maybe now is the time to start thinking about it more seriously ...
Just wanted to say that this is absolutely fantastic, if you have the time and motivation for this. Highly appreciated if you do. :)

numerouno wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:00 pm
resynthesis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 pm Github page 404 for me. Is there an IP (intellectual property not Internet protocol) issue here?
My mistake, I copied the link wrong :) all sorted now
:tu:

Sahul wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 pm Is this the same DSP chip used by the TC PoweCore card?
Yes. TC PowerCore uses a few DSP56367

Sahul wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 pm Is this the same DSP chip used by the TC PoweCore card?
Yes, the Powercore was actually the initial motivation for this project. The problem with getting it working is the licenses, we wasn’t sure how they would work with the TC server being shut down so just moved onto the Virus C :)

Thanks. Indeed, having a virtual emulation of our PowerCore cards would be killer, even more considering that it's being increasingly difficult to make the cards work with newer operating systems, especially on Mac. I'll follow this project with interest.

Sahul wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 am Thanks. Indeed, having a virtual emulation of our PowerCore cards would be killer, even more considering that it's being increasingly difficult to make the cards work with newer operating systems, especially on Mac. I'll follow this project with interest.
Yes it seems more and more people seem to be having problems with them, especially now that they are getting older

Access Virus A, B, C, Rack, Rack XL, and Classic needs SAB 80C535 and 80C515 cores (i8051-based SoC), TMS56303, 56311, 56362 DSPs depending on model.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”