Have Modern VST Instruments Replaced Your Hardware Synths ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 am I see my threads alive...that's more than to be said of me in real life atm... :-(
Well that doesn't sound very good, I hope youre taking care of yourself there, and on your
way to being well.

ScrLk wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:55 am Massive X is one of the most underrated new synths out right now.
Is it underrated? I thought the general consensus was that it was great. I think so.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Cinebient wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:18 pm I wonder if Beepstreet Dagger is the only one which offers the Steiner Parker filter (together with some others filter types) in software land? Indeed Dagger is my favourite mono software synth. It cuts trough everything and lives up to the name. It just has cojones.
Must be the closest to a Brute in software land.
Its however nice that its so easy in software land to make it polyphonic if needed plus MPE if you want.
Dagger has indeed in general my second favourite sounding filters in software land.
I’ve never heard of it, but I’m listening to demos now and I must say that they’re blowing me away. It’s a bit light on features, but wow. The sound is definitely solid.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

But the filters are low-pass only, which is a bit restrictive. Still, there are definitely a couple of nice sounds in the demos, although most of it is full of sounds I left behind 40 years ago.
Cro-magnon wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:39 pmThe difference between you and me is that I talk from what I read and my experience but you from your convictions.
Well, that's a problem for you, then, because most of what I read is absolute garbage and goes against much of my own 40 years of experience.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Impressive,I am a newbie,I started 1 week ago!
You and your friend ANx are making free assumptions without any evidence since a handful 30 pages with your superior attitude.
Every thread I read you are in conflict with another member.

You don't help yourself with your ridiculous statements and your dismissive attitude towards softsynths, which flies in the face of every other person in this thread, in case you hadn't noticed. You spent a huge amount of money on a hardware synth and you feel you need to justify your purchase by trashing everything else. That's a very immature attitude. The only justification you need is that you got what you wanted. So what if software is as good or better, if what you have makes you happy? I have hardware because I like having hardware. My hardware set-up is probably worth two or three times as much as my software but I know that it is nowhere near as good, overall. So what? It makes me happy having it and that's enough. Why that can't be enough for you or zerocrossing, why you feel the need to convince yourself that you actually got something better, is something I do not understand.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Beepstreet dagger is amazing , to bad the developer now only does ios stuff
Beepstreet Drambo also sounds bloody great
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 am I see my threads alive...that's more than to be said of me in real life atm... :-(
Wait what , it only took you 52 pages to remind us it's YOUR thread :lol:
Thank you for creating this thread Intrancer , it's just missing some 3d mock-ups :hihi:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am Beepstreet dagger is amazing , to bad the developer now only does ios stuff
Stop spreading secrets! Let them use the consumer stuff and keep the secrets for the pros!! 😭

Once at it, anyone knows if it works on M1?

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:55 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am Beepstreet dagger is amazing , to bad the developer now only does ios stuff
Stop spreading secrets! Let them use the consumer stuff and keep the secrets for the pros!! 😭

Once at it, anyone knows if it works on M1?
Yes it does. But only the standalone version (which can host other AUv3 but this does not work on Mac yet really). The AUv3 also opens in Logic but as soon as you need to scroll anything it crash. Same for some other AUv3.
Drambo will get also analog filters and so I hope he adds the Dagger and Zeeon filters to the modular. Drambo is amazing indeed.
The standalone version is also great and seamless resizable. At least I could create presets in the standalone version and could load them as AUv3 inside Logic.
I hope he sorts it out one day and the AUv3 runs perfect inside Logic as well.
Drambo is still way better to use on iOS devices (same for most other iOS ports yet too).

It does, but in the spirit of this thread, it won’t replace either of my analog hardware monos. Not because of the sound quality, which may be equal, but it plain and simply lacks a lot of the features that I have come to rely on. Both my monos have 3 EGs, two LFOs, ring and cross mod, aftertouch and velocity, etc. The third EG is especially useful, and I’m not quite sure why software developers seem to leave it out on software that does a great job of analog modeling. I get that the classics didn’t have it, but a number of new synths do, and the only way to get good modeling at this level and the modulation abilities that I often use is with Reaktor, and I still feel like it’s not quite there, and the CPU load is often massive when run at 96 kHz.
Zerocrossing Media

For the record, I picked up a Behringer Pro-1, and kind of did a shootout between it and Repro-1. I'd say they are damn close, but the filter sounds much better on the Behringer to me than the Repro-1, and the Repro-1 is still great filter-wise. I think the difference between software and hardware is more apparent in "moving" sounds, where you have more modulation going on or filter movement, but yeah, is the difference in sound quality worth the price difference? Hard to say.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm
It does, but in the spirit of this thread, it won’t replace either of my analog hardware monos. Not because of the sound quality, which may be equal, but it plain and simply lacks a lot of the features that I have come to rely on. Both my monos have 3 EGs, two LFOs, ring and cross mod, aftertouch and velocity, etc. The third EG is especially useful, and I’m not quite sure why software developers seem to leave it out on software that does a great job of analog modeling. I get that the classics didn’t have it, but a number of new synths do, and the only way to get good modeling at this level and the modulation abilities that I often use is with Reaktor, and I still feel like it’s not quite there, and the CPU load is often massive when run at 96 kHz.
I read and appreciate your posts on geRslutz and it seems you have a good understanding/been using real analogs. The purpose of modelling an analog instrument accurately (as in not implementing additional features even though the digital domain allows you to do it) is authenticity. If you know how to use a real analog mono you will be able to program the plugin much better than someone who never used it.

For instance I can replicate so many things on Daggar that I do on my Grandma even though it’s different (filter type enevelope etc) but still. I don’t need additional EG and mods and stuff cos my analog hasn’t got it either.

If I need that I don’t need analog model ITB. I then use something like Massive X OR Alchemy. There I can model analog with all the additional options it’s just not as tactical (but sometimes very creative).

Anyway this is the e reason why I never recommend anyone investing in UAD if they never worked in analog studio. You will give nothing by using a plugin SSL G if you never used the original, frankly. It never goes the other way around. You might tweak good sounds of it but IMHO these tools are for people who knows how to use the real processors or synthesisers and then you won’t need additional options (as long as it’s component modelled well).

To simply put. Software nowadays CAN replace hardware, but ONLY if you used and KNOW how to use the HARDWARE.

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm
I read and appreciate your posts on geRslutz and it seems you have a good understanding/been using real analogs. The purpose of modelling an analog instrument accurately (as in not implementing additional features even though the digital domain allows you to do it) is authenticity. If you know how to use a real analog mono you will be able to program the plugin much better than someone who never used it.

For instance I can replicate so many things on Daggerthat I do on my Grandma even though it’s different (filter type enevelope etc) but still. I don’t need additional EG and mods and stuff cos my analog hasn’t got it either.

If I needed that then I wouldn’t use analog model ITB. I then use something like Massive X OR Alchemy. There I can model analog with all the additional options it’s just not as tactical (but sometimes very creative).

Anyway this is the e reason why I never recommend anyone investing in UAD if they never worked in analog studio. You will give nothing by using a plugin SSL G if you never used the original, frankly. It never goes the other way around. You might tweak good sounds of it but IMHO these tools are for people who knows how to use the real processors or synthesisers and then you won’t need additional options (as long as it’s component modelled well).

To simply put. Software nowadays CAN replace hardware, but ONLY if you used and KNOW how to use the HARDWARE.

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:30 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm

For instance I can replicate so many things on Dagger that I do on my Grandma even though it’s different (filter type enevelope etc) but still. I don’t need additional EG and mods and stuff cos my analog hasn’t got it either.

If I needed that then I wouldn’t use analog model ITB. I then use something like Massive X OR Alchemy. There I can model analog with all the additional options it’s just not as tactical (but sometimes very creative).

Return to “Instruments”