Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 am
trusampler wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 am How about a better browser Presonus??? :roll:
Very annoying the search bar is not persistent. Takes up no space so I dont understand why they dont just have a setting to leave it visible
I don't mind that, but it always breaks my flow that I can bring up & focus the search with Ctrl+F, but I can't hide it the same way. Instead I need to click that small "magnifying glass" icon.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

wuworld wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:34 am Anyone notice the amount of users switching from Studio One to Ableton? I've seen a guy who produces who took over studio ones instagram switch to Live. One youtube I see is doing videos making music with Live. I guess I could say more modern producers.
Pretty much what I did. There's so many things studio one gets right but some of the bugs are really annoying. Not to say that every daw doesn't have its own share of bugs and weird issues but s1 got to the point where I just didn't open it. I even stopped making music for a little bit because I was so frustrated. Fast forward, I decided to give live another go and it's really been the only daw I can get work done in. Live definitely has some wonky shit going on and some things I'm used to (like an actual mixer, bounce in place, audio transform, track disable, etc) I'll miss, but it's far less of a headache.
Yo.

Skandiluz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:34 am Anyone notice the amount of users switching from Studio One to Ableton? I've seen a guy who produces who took over studio ones instagram switch to Live. One youtube I see is doing videos making music with Live. I guess I could say more modern producers.
Pretty much what I did. There's so many things studio one gets right but some of the bugs are really annoying. Not to say that every daw doesn't have its own share of bugs and weird issues but s1 got to the point where I just didn't open it. I even stopped making music for a little bit because I was so frustrated. Fast forward, I decided to give live another go and it's really been the only daw I can get work done in. Live definitely has some wonky shit going on and some things I'm used to (like an actual mixer, bounce in place, audio transform, track disable, etc) I'll miss, but it's far less of a headache.
I have to agree. I haven't made the switch yet but I've been contemplating it for a while. The bugs in S1 are annoying and it only getting worse with every release. They really need to address these issues before releasing fancy new features.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

You guys care to share some of the bugs you encountered?

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 pm You guys care to share some of the bugs you encountered?
Same, I dont find S1 buggy at all. Coming from years with Reaper it is very refreshing to have something that just works. Of course there are some things Id like added but nothing that is a deal breaker so far compared to the consistency of it just working

I'm not saying the said bugs don't exist. I just wonder what they are. I'm anything but a power user, and probably scratch 2 or 3 % of what S1 is capable of, but, so far, I didn't really come along many bugs (can't remember just one TBH).

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 pm You guys care to share some of the bugs you encountered?
Yeah for sure.

- sometimes when I load an instrument, it opens fine but when I close it, I can never open it. I have to disable and re-enable the plug-in.
- a lot of the time, when I delete note overlaps, they don't actually delete the overlap which cause a really loud note.
- speaking on kontakt, my velocity is wonky as hell on windows but works fine on my MacBook. The volume feels like it's at -26db and when I max it out it's too loud. Trying to find a middle ground is time consuming. This is mostly for The Giant and The Maverick. This issue doesn't occur in Live, bitwig or reaper.
- when I press play sometimes if I'm using delay compensation, the first note won't play, regardless of where I put the start point.

I've reported this to Presonus back in June and they said they would look into it. I emailed again in September and still haven't heard anything. Could be just my system and the issues above are what I've noticed is a combination of mac and windows, not just one OS.
Yo.

In my case I've posted this before in this thread. S1 will crash when trying to remove some plugins. Sometimes it crashes when adding plugins. I don't have use or have any weird plugins. All the stuff that's crashed for me is NI plugins. Don't have the issue in any other DAW on my system (Ableton 11 beta, FLStudio, Logic, Bitwig). S1 is the only DAW where removing a plugin in certain projects crashes the DAW. I've seen other report similar issues before with S1.

I had another issue where one of my projects according to S1's cpu meter is sitting at 30-40% when playing back, but Activity Monitor shows the CPU pegged at close to 90%. It only happens with that one project and I have no idea why. The project is not that big and looking through S1 DSP usage it's fairly low. I have projects that have way more going on, hit the S1's DSP at close to 70% and activity monitor only has about 40-50% usage. This started happening with V5. I have no clue why it's happening and don't really have the time to troubleshoot it. It's extremely frustrating. Never had this issue in any DAW. I never had a DAW peg my cpu usage at close to 90%.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:17 am Sometimes it crashes when adding plugins.
Crashing when adding plugins also is a thing for me. I can't use Replika because of it. Not that it's a huge deal, but it's there. Forgot to mention that since it's been a while since I've used replika due to that.
Yo.

All these bugs appear to be user configuration and setup type issues that are hard to track down due to the vast variety of individually personalized computers, file systems, security, bios and other anomalies.

It could even be a bad plugin in the chain, could be your buffers settings, could have something to do with your interface drivers. There are so many areas to look, that it would take a computer savvy user to begin with.

Expecting Presonus to fix all of your one off issues due to personal configurations is going to be difficult, unless a number of users are experiencing the same "bug" and can provide helpful troubleshooting information to squash it.

Otherwise, it's just hearsay...

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 pm All these bugs appear to be user configuration and setup type issues that are hard to track down due to the vast variety of individually personalized computers, file systems, security, bios and other anomalies.
Actually wouldn't surprise me, because, I don't have any issues with NI plugins here, for example.

Exits to desktop when I try to open POISE... too bad, as it's still one of my favourites.

POISE works fine with Reaper and Cubase, so I am not sure why S1-5 doesn't like it much.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 pm All these bugs appear to be user configuration and setup type issues that are hard to track down due to the vast variety of individually personalized computers, file systems, security, bios and other anomalies.

It could even be a bad plugin in the chain, could be your buffers settings, could have something to do with your interface drivers. There are so many areas to look, that it would take a computer savvy user to begin with.

Expecting Presonus to fix all of your one off issues due to personal configurations is going to be difficult, unless a number of users are experiencing the same "bug" and can provide helpful troubleshooting information to squash it.

I wouldn't doubt it's my system(s) as I have specific issues in windows and other issues on mac. I'm a software engineer by trade so I know how it feels to try and troubleshoot something you can't replicate, in my case, sending them logs of stuff that doesn't work for me while it likely does work for them. What pissed me off is the lack of communication. Even when my users ask me to fix something that I can't reproduce at all, I or someone on my team will at least respond to them saying so. When I sent my other log for a different issue in September, I just never heard anything. Not a peep. I understand they are busy and such because I'm not the only user, neither am I a high priority user, but if I send logs and give detailed information about my issue, at least respond saying "we can't track this down" or something.

At the end of the day, I'm not married to studio one and once my new ssd arrives, I'll use that opportunity to wipe my pc and start from scratch. Until then, it'll just sit on my computer until I decide what to do with it.
Yo.

Well all I can say is that on the same system all of my other DAWS don’t have the same issue. I don’t know what makes S1 special or different in this regard.

Besides like I said there have been reports of S1 being extremely sensitive to certain plugins or system changes compared to other DAWs. The crashing issue has been reported by countless Mac users since at least 2.x. It just has way too many issues on Mac imo.

Skandiluz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:21 am
apoclypse wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:17 am Sometimes it crashes when adding plugins.
Crashing when adding plugins also is a thing for me. I can't use Replika because of it. Not that it's a huge deal, but it's there. Forgot to mention that since it's been a while since I've used replika due to that.
Try renaming the actual replika plugin file. I don't remember the exact specifics, but I had this problem when replika came out and since then it's called replika666 when I pull it up in my plugin folder. It shows up as 'not installed' (or something) in my NI account, but at least it works. Anyone tried Replika XT?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”