Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:34 am Would you say this is worth purchasing given I already own Diva?
After comparing them extensively, I did. I guess it'll come down to how important the differences between them are to you.

Version 1.2.7

CPU optimisations.
Sound quality improvements.
Demo added (jupiter 8 vs tal-j-8)
"Demo added (jupiter 8 vs tal-j-8)" What exactly does that mean?

suthnear wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:19 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:34 am Would you say this is worth purchasing given I already own Diva?
After comparing them extensively, I did. I guess it'll come down to how important the differences between them are to you.
Diva is great but I am by no means any kind of expert.

I have the demo for this and it sounds great. Presets alone have already inspired ideas.

I have the TAL LX juno emulation which, bearing in mind the above caveat, i think sounds better than Diva's own. Obviously Diva has more tools to work with, plus the fx. But the TAL is so easy to work with and sounds fantastic, so this looks like more of the same even the Jupiter appears much more complex.

mountainmaster wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm
Version 1.2.7

CPU optimisations.

I *think*... an audio demo (not a 1.2.7 function, but a website addition)

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

I would say so, yes. :tu:

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:56 pm
Version 1.2.7

CPU optimisations.

I *think*... an audio demo (not a 1.2.7 function, but a website addition)

rsp
That makes sense. Thanks!

Version 1.2.7

CPU optimisations.
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-j-8

Under the demos tab, you can find an A/B comparison between Patrick's Jupiter and the J-8.

Anyone know the answer to my question on how you get jp-8 to use a different voice circuit each time you press the same key

I've found say D3 keep pressing and always uses same voice so no randomness

Press C3 and go back to D3 and using same voice again

And when set to monophonic no matter the note always uses same voice

Probably user error on my behalf ?

I'd have thought in each case it would randomly pick a voice circuit like Diva does

Does the mpe support include release velocity?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Buckster wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:02 pm Anyone know the answer to my question on how you get jp-8 to use a different voice circuit each time you press the same key

I've found say D3 keep pressing and always uses same voice so no randomness

Press C3 and go back to D3 and using same voice again

And when set to monophonic no matter the note always uses same voice

Probably user error on my behalf ?

I'd have thought in each case it would randomly pick a voice circuit like Diva does
J-8 doesn't do a Round Robin voice allocation. I **believe** the voice allocation is modeled on the hardware but don't have a Jupiter-8 to compare to (anyone can feel free to send one over). The Prophet-5 is another hardware poly from the era which doesn't do a Round Robin allocation. The Prophet will allocate the first note played to voice one, the second to voice two, etc. and will try to reuse those voices where it can, so the voice logic is complicated. In RePro-5, you turn that on (Reallocate Voices - default P5 behavior) or off (Round Robin - not on the original) in the Tweaks page with the Reallocation control. The J-8 doesn't offer that option but it's been requested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rglo6HQOYz8

I put together, for the first time ever, a preset pack, happy to be able to share it. I would love to hear some feedback on it! I've sent it to Patrick, so maybe it'll get featured in the official website? Dunno. Anyways, here it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpwy6b20x96rn ... k.rar?dl=0

Realistortion wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:08 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rglo6HQOYz8

I put together, for the first time ever, a preset pack, happy to be able to share it. I would love to hear some feedback on it! I've sent it to Patrick, so maybe it'll get featured in the official website? Dunno. Anyways, here it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpwy6b20x96rn ... k.rar?dl=0
Good stuff. The string ep patch is soo good.

I see Tal J-8 has now been officially released (not sure what that tangibly means :)).
But the RC is now gone in its name on the website and it is in the News section.
TAL-J-8 final release 21.01.2021

We finally released TAL-J-8. An accurate emulation of the legandary Jupiter 8 synthesizer.
rsp
sound sculptist

Loving this thing to death. But my U-NO-LX is feeling kinda useless.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:46 pm Loving this thing to death. But my U-NO-LX is feeling kinda useless.
I thought so too at first, but for bread & butter sounds, the U-NO-LX seems to have bigger sweet spots.

Return to “Instruments”