Explain this: Impedance matching transformer from DI into amp

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So.. I've been recording music privately at my own studio for decades and something odd (to me at least) happened a few years ago that I'm curious about, which I should probably be able to explain by now, but I'm actually still not extremely inclined in some of the more deep technical aspects of hardware.

That said, one day I tried this on a whim and it made my head do a 360 degree turn when I heard what came out of the amp:

Guitar -> small tube DI box -> Microphone Impedance matching transformer plug -> High gain input on amp

I should also note that the tube DI box was not 'starved plate' and used a transformer. The amp was also a 120 watt tube head.

Anyways, what I heard was an almost lifeless sounding tube amp - virtually turning into a raging, almost triple rectifier amp type sound. I just stared at the amp in disbelief for like 5 minutes scratching my head.

Technical explanation?

Hard to say without knowing the input/output impedances and a little more info/specs about the gear. If it sounds good, it is good!

It may relate to the changes in impedance over a wide frequency range.

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm Hard to say without knowing the input/output impedances and a little more info/specs about the gear. If it sounds good, it is good!
The DI was a Bellari ADB3 (the version without an input knob, three buttons per channel) and the adapter plug was a vintage Shure A95UF Line Matching Transformer. It was plugged into the high gain input on a Peavey VTM-120.

Looking at the spec sheet for that Shure tranny, if you're going from low-Z input to high-Z output you're getting 20+ dB gain. There is internal wiring that can be changed depending on input impedance...whatever settings it's on seem to be working great for you! Also the more you slam a transformer with lots of level the more saturation you'll get. :party:

jp008 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:23 pm Guitar -> small tube DI box -> Microphone Impedance matching transformer plug -> High gain input on amp.
A DI box simply isn't made for this scenario and you definitely don't need it there.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -impedance

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”