Cubase 10.5 and AMD users

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone running Cubase 10.5 or higher, and have an AMD Graphics card in their system ?

I have an issue with Cubase 10.5 that when I have a moderately loaded project, around the 40-50% Perf. Meter mark, the GUI lags, and I get mega low FPS when playing back a project.

The audio is uneffected, no glitches or pops , just the GUI lags and jumps. Very wierd. Steinberg suggested only installing the drivers from win10 updates, but ive done that in the past and regretted it. (System unstable etc)

So I am wondering how I can tweak the AMD software to suit Cubase better. And maybe make changes to Windows itself ? Does anyone use the OpenGL switch in AMD software to improve for OpenGL plugins ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I run an AMD video card and Cubase 11, no problems so far, just running whatever drivers AMD recommend although I do not have the most recent ones installed.
I only chose AMD after using NVIDIA for a long time and suspecting something in their drivers was causing spikes, but never proving it.

zoidkirb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 pm I run an AMD video card and Cubase 11, no problems so far, just running whatever drivers AMD recommend although I do not have the most recent ones installed.
I only chose AMD after using NVIDIA for a long time and suspecting something in their drivers was causing spikes, but never proving it.
Yes, you need to use the studio drivers. The game drivers are known to cause issues as they hog the pci-bus with interrupts

mixtur.se wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 pm
zoidkirb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 pm I run an AMD video card and Cubase 11, no problems so far, just running whatever drivers AMD recommend although I do not have the most recent ones installed.
Yes, you need to use the studio drivers. The game drivers are known to cause issues as they hog the pci-bus with interrupts
This I did not know! I'll never be able to test my old card to find out now though.
I do like to game a bit so I'm not sure if it would be for me. Either way, I'm very happy now with my AMD/ATI combo for music making and game playing.

Does that apply to both manufacturers?

I had some graphics issues with some plug-ins recently. On advice from a helpful dev i manually updated the drivers (thru the AMD Catalyst thingy you can check for updates) and everything's fine now.

And i quote from him : For your graphics card, visit the manufacturers website to check for the latest drivers, don't just go on what Windows says.

Running Cubase 11 on a dedicated studio system btw. Gaming is done on my X-Box :D
More BPM please

Recently I noticed that my screen is slightly flickering during playback in Cubase 11 (on Windows 10). I think it started when I updated my Nvidia GeForce driver to the latest version 461.09.

No issues on 10.5 or 11. Ryzen 7 3700X and Radeon RX 5700 XT.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

dionenoid wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm Running Cubase 11 on a dedicated studio system btw. Gaming is done on my X-Box :D
I will consider that as well in the future...

What are classed as studio drivers ? More to the point where are they availible ? I just get the AMD drivers from the AMD site for the card.

Studio and Game Drivers are largely the same. I've run into more issues trying Studio Drivers than Game Ready drivers. Search the internet and you'll see similar issues with people who tried them with creative apps.

AMD has no such Studio Drivers. You just use the one driver pack they provide, though you can always just buy a workstation card that isn't optimized for gaming.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I thought as much, as when I spoke with AMD they just asked me to update to latest drivers and do a clean install.

Speaking with Steinberg support, they are now suggesting UEFI BIOS is to blame, I should be using that and not Legacy. :roll:

I found the issue with the laggy GUI. It's all the plugins.

When you open your project, Cubase opens all the plugins guis , but they are "behind" the main project screen.

When I close them all, Cubase is running snappy as always and no lag.

How can I stop Cubase opening every single plugins GUI on opening a an existing project ?

Probably the best thing to do is go into [preferences:VST:Plug-ins] and check "Plug-in editors always on top"

That way, you can simply close the plug-in editor after making any adjustments (rather than have it remain open, but hidden by the project window). I have also noticed that having too many plug-in editors open seems to cause a bit of lag, so I have gotten into the habit of closing all plug-in editors except for the one(s) I am currently making adjustments.

If you save a project that has a bunch of open plug-in editors behind the project window, Cubase will recall their open state when you reload that project again. Try closing all plug-in editors, and then save your project again. I am pretty sure the next time you load that project, the plug-in editors will remain closed.

lessera wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am Probably the best thing to do is go into [preferences:VST:Plug-ins] and check "Plug-in editors always on top"

That way, you can simply close the plug-in editor after making any adjustments (rather than have it remain open, but hidden by the project window). I have also noticed that having too many plug-in editors open seems to cause a bit of lag, so I have gotten into the habit of closing all plug-in editors except for the one(s) I am currently making adjustments.

If you save a project that has a bunch of open plug-in editors behind the project window, Cubase will recall their open state when you reload that project again. Try closing all plug-in editors, and then save your project again. I am pretty sure the next time you load that project, the plug-in editors will remain closed.
OK thanks i'll double check that, but I am sure its opening all the editors regardless of the state I save them, as I normally dont leave them open.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”