2 in 1: Kilohearts 'Gate' and Kilohearts 'Dynamics'. Questions, alternatives and stuff

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately I bought 'Transient Shaper' by Kilohearts and I'm really happy with it and for me the best one on the market. So I checked also the other plugins by Kilohearts – the last time I did is loooong time ago and I was not impressed at all and while I'm still not impressed by their synths or standard fx I like their plugins for dynamics.

However, I would like to hear some opinions towards 'Gate' and 'Dynamics'. Regarding 'Gate': Is there any other gate where the attack time can be set to 0.00 ms? I'm not sure how Kilohearts implemented this but it should be sample to sample processing, or?

Regarding 'Dynamics': While I already up to buy 'Gate' I'm not sure if 'Dynamics' is simply Live's Multiband Dynamics with one band. I did not had the time yet to test them side by side so I'm not sure what's the differences between both sound / feature wise.

Thoughts? Tips? Alternatives? Gimme! Thanks....
rabbit in a hole

(self-promo) Renegate has a "0" ms setting that is smooth, such thing is only possible with some kind of lookahead. Else it would sound like a digital click. In Renegate the transition period actually happens in about 20ms, which you pay in latency ; so you can have an untouched attack if you want, without a digital click, aligned with your transient. That is the sad tradeoff of fullband dynamics plugins.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Thanks for the tip. Any other ideas? No Friends of Gate here lol :D ?
rabbit in a hole

Since there are not many other comments here, my uninformed guess would be that not many people are using the snapins for tasks such as dynamics and transient processing outside of the context of a snapin system such as Multipass or PhasePlant. The transient shaper and compression plugins I'm mainly using are all multiband, for example.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

metaside wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:16 pm Since there are not many other comments here, my uninformed guess would be that not many people are using the snapins for tasks such as dynamics and transient processing outside of the context of a snapin system such as Multipass or PhasePlant. The transient shaper and compression plugins I'm mainly using are all multiband, for example.
probably true. I also assume that a gate is an misunderstood (underestimated) tool.
rabbit in a hole

Guillaume Piolat wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 pm (self-promo) Renegate has a "0" ms setting that is smooth, such thing is only possible with some kind of lookahead. Else it would sound like a digital click. In Renegate the transition period actually happens in about 20ms, which you pay in latency ; so you can have an untouched attack if you want, without a digital click, aligned with your transient. That is the sad tradeoff of fullband dynamics plugins.
Thank you. How is this different to sample accurate processing (true-zero-delay-attack)? Is it really causing clicks? I'm not in my studio right now. But I will test this by myself anyway. :D
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Effects”