Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How 8) 8) 8) 8) is THAT!!!

At this point, make sure to copy that .wine folder for safekeeping.

In your spare time, you can set up an exploratory install on
an SD card reader or similar, copy over that .wine folder,
and have a look at the registry entries for important software.

Type:

wine regedit

in a terminal. You can then save the important entries for a rainy day :wink:

How is the gui in Omnisphere? A screenshot might encourage some diehards
sitting back in the peanut gallery.
Cheers

The good news is that I have registered Amplitube 5 SE using IK's
Custom Shop software in Ubuntu Studio 20.04, running Reaper in
wine-staging 6.06.

When IK's new Product Manager was invoked for registration, I had my doubts, as it didn't work in earlier wine versions, but this new wine handled the task fine, after tossing out three error panels, which I dismissed as they appeared, until the app came to the screen.

The guitar interface was a new IK iRig HD 2 usb device, which included the
Amplitube 5 SE as bundleware. The device shows up in qjackctl, and sounds
really good, with whatever software you use. In the screenshot, I have the
A5 SE vst3 routed to Rakarrack Multi-effects, and recorded by Timemachine. The iRig also has a direct-to-amp output which will go to a Fender Mustang or GT amp connected to a line-in, for even more variety.

The Guitar Rig 6 demo also works well in this setup, but I have more NI vouchers than dollars, so an upgrade from 5 to 6 isn't looking good this time.

IK have extended their $99 SE sale price, but you can get the iRig HD 2 for
that price, and have the software for free, and hopefully the reg tool
will work in your setups as well.

The Custom Shop's 'Restore my purchases' option also worked, so my earlier
Amplitube 4 gear is now part of the modernized A5 system.
Just a little bit :hyper: as the weekend is rising soon.
Cheers

A5-SE-iRig2HD-Rakarrack.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I soldered up a three-foot guitar cable to connect my now deskbound iRig HD 2's 'out-to-amp' port to my fender Mustang amp, (I sawed off the Mustang's speaker to make it a desktop guitar module ) the Mustangs line-out goes to the line-in on my old but trusty mAudio 24/96 pci card, while the iRig usb goes to Reaper with Guitar Rig 6 in this case.

I have linux Rakarrack effects panel on the the line-in,
so I can turn the preset knob on the amp, to feed saved presets to the chosen Rakarrack effect, and then choose whatever strums the muse from the ampsim of the moment in Reaper. Such things were weekends born for :hyper:

First the fridge went out, then a water-leak between the house and the water meter has possibly occurred...such things the Ides of Overtime were made for :dog:
Started the digging...talk about letting the good times roll :hihi:
Cheers

iRigHD2-GR6demo-MustangAmp-Rakarrack.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Seen among the topics at

www.linuxmusicians.com

Reaper is indahaus with LV2 plugin support :hyper:

Not perfect yet, but the screenshot has LV2's from different sources,
Steve Harris, zyn, and gx, with a couple of rakarracks, and firefox running,
the guitar interface is IK's iRig HD 2, and sounding fine :party:
You'll need an experimental reaper release from landoleet, their standard
location for pre-release versions. I hope a lot of linux users will purchase Reaper,
to enjoy and support such ongoing developements.

Reaper6-124LV2.png

Trying the Audio Assault Reamp Studio demo with linux reaper's lv2 support, and so far so good. Used a Zam and a Zyn LV2 receiving Reamps output.
It had an Orange Amp with mesaboogie cab, sounded very prim and proper...the queen even slept through the session until the tea-time alarm...

https://audio-assault.com/reampstudio.php
ReampStudioWith_LV2-rakarrack.png

Just noticed windows Reaper 6.26 in wine-staging 6.7 (just out) now works with
wasapi shared mode for hosting plugins. Tested with Reaktor's Polyplex drum synth machine, and the venerable but enjoyable Battery 4, from just down the hall :hyper:

wasapi-in-da-haus!.png

Tested the new Afro Keys demo in wasapi mode, nice sounds, easy to use gui, I'll be getting the paid version after I pay the tax man. I layered the Marimba, Zouk Compas, and Kalimba, with Replika delay on the Kalimba and ColourCopy delay on Marimba,
for a nice recreational EZ listening-night backup band.

https://afroplug.com/product/afrokeyz/

AfroKeys-Replika.png

glokraw wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:33 am Just noticed windows Reaper 6.26 in wine-staging 6.7 (just out) now works with
wasapi shared mode for hosting plugins. Tested with Reaktor's Polyplex drum synth machine, and the venerable but enjoyable Battery 4, from just down the hall :hyper:
I'm curious, any particular reason to use the Windows version of REAPER over the native version with those Windows plugins running under yabridge?

It's a bit of a coin toss, regarding what I'll be using at a given point in time. I use the linux version often, especially for the great U-he and discoDSP linux plugins.
I have linvst and ya-bridge working, and almost all the windows plugins I have are working well enough for recordings. There are a still a few compatibilty issues, often it's just a temporary scanning flaw, or a plugin's registration can't find the same internet connection that was used to download and purchase the same product :dog: :x :roll: Oh well, Carl's Junior and $tarbuck$ didn't really need that money, I learn things along the way, and future improvements are lurking out there...

So I use the windows Reaper version in wine to test those things, and the new products that I install. And also for slow-dancing with Native Instruments and IK Multimedia as they perfect their product managers. (there is some serious qwerty-restraint hidden in the previous sentance :wink: )

The linux Reaper could use a very few gui and in-house plugin improvements, but low priority compared to the new LV2 plugin support. I haven't checked yet to see if wasapi being a working option was Reaper's fault, or wine's fault, or a kernel serendipity, but I'm glad it's an option in such a deep and configurable daw. My use is shallow, so If I choose to explore and learn, it's like a new purchase has just arrived and been installed :hyper:

The linux Reaper with Yoshimi, Vital, Surge, Odin2, ZebraCM and BazilleCM, TyrellN6, Hydrogen, Rakkarack, DecentSampler, SFZero, Zyn, Zam, Air and Calf plugins, means yada yada yo musical mama, nearly anyone can have a gamechanging system, and should dire financial straights exist or befall, still be fully capable of producing great music in a range of nicely stable environments. With Reaper, Bitwig and Mixbus, the linux commercial daw shelf is well stocked and keeps getting better. And the contents available for them are astonishing 8)

:dog: Sorry, Robbert :dog: I was in a hurry, didn't add 2+2 with your nik, nor peruse the fine print, and so forgot your well deserved celebrity, as the creator of the great Ya-Bridge vst (and now vst3!) plugin wrapper. The above reply is 'how I roll', and coders such as yourself and osxmidi are making it a great ride. Thankyou for sharing your great creations :tu: :party:

glokraw wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 pm :dog: Sorry, Robbert :dog: I was in a hurry, didn't add 2+2 with your nik, nor peruse the fine print, and so forgot your well deserved celebrity, as the creator of the great Ya-Bridge vst (and now vst3!) plugin wrapper. The above reply is 'how I roll', and coders such as yourself and osxmidi are making it a great ride. Thankyou for sharing your great creations :tu: :party:
I was just curious if you had any particular reasons to use the Windows version of REAPER for using Windows VST2/VST3 plugins versus using the native version with yabridge! Because if the issue was that you ran into a plugin that does work with the Windows version of REAPER but that doesn't also work under yabridge, then I'd be very interested to know about it! I just fixed compatibility with a handful of other buggy plugins people told me about that were either not following the plugin specs correctly or that were just having weird expectations that aren't always true in the current master branch. So if you know of something that works in the Windows version of REAPER and that doesn't work under yabridge, then please let me know so I can take a look at it and fix it! I'll be releasing that update tomorrow as yabridge 3.1.1 (unless I run into a regression during my testing). If you're interested, you can read the in-progress changelog here.

I read in your changelog that you fixed a bug effecting BlueCat plugins, so I booted up a Ubuntu SSD that has BlueCat's Axiom vst3 ampsim installed, put YaBridge to work, and before the chowder reached a low simmer, Granny woke up to the vibes of a loud Plexi :hihi: And so she wouldn't nod off again, I loaded Amplitube 4 in one of Axioms effect slots, and found some presets able to keep her lights on a bit longer. :party:

I'd have had to fix the old win 7 box to use Axiom :scared:
but that can wait a bit longer, now, thanks to your efforts!

BlueCat-Axiom-Amplitube.png
I think Axiom is the best of the software ampsims, so happy to have it up and running again. And Granny likes it too 8)

Keep in mind that fix, which is for the VST3 versions of the BlueCat Audio plugins, is not yet part of yabridge 3.1.0! I still have a bunch of plugins/hosts I need to go through in regression testing, and then I'll be able to release yabridge 3.1.1 with that fix and the other fixes. The BlueCat Audio VST3 plugins had a small error where they didn't directly expose on of the mandatory base VST3 interfaces. They've immediately fixed that in their code when I informed them about it, but I'm not sure if they've already updated their plugins since then.

Jokes on me, then! I've just recently installed the latest wine-staging, 6.7 and found wasapi shared mode to be working great for Fathom and MassiveX synths, so tried Axiom again, after installing Ya-Bridge.
The fix for Axiom may be from somewhere in that new wine area? Axiom worked fine after I first bought it, around V 1.2, but something changed after a year or so, and it would no longer scan in Reaper. BlueCat have separate demo installs, and they always kept working in the interim, albeit with sound fadeouts
whenever a passable riff was about to be played :hihi:

Wine 6.7 had a fairly subtle but probably breaking change where it now reports to be running Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 like it did for a while now (this is independent of the Windows version dropdown in winecfg). I've seen this break the Spitfire Audio plugins, and it can probably break (or magically fix?) other things as well.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”