DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2618 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 pm

sagetone wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 am
Hi Moss, I have Novation Launchkey 49 MkII and Arturia Beatstep Pro. These are not listed as supported model in 3.2.5+. Is it OK (and recommended) to use the latest version? I am using latest version of Bitwig. Also, is there a link to documentation for LK 49 MkII and BS Pro? I found it for MkIII, but not MkII. Thank you, Todd
The Beatstep Pro was supported in past but not anymore. The Launchkey MkII is also not supported.
You can achieve a lot of things by using the Generic Flexi (except any sequencers).

KVRian
596 posts since 22 Nov, 2006

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm

moss wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 pm
The Beatstep Pro was supported in past but not anymore. The Launchkey MkII is also not supported.
You can achieve a lot of things by using the Generic Flexi (except any sequencers).
Thank you Moss. Is there a recommended previous/archived version that I could use for BS Pro and LK MkII?

EDIT: Just tried BS Pro with Flexi, works fine! LK MkII works pretty good, but in launcher, I can't select individual tracks, only banks of tracks. That's about the only thing that doesn't work. I'm also looking at possibly upgrading to a MkIII or a Nektar controller.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
https://soundcloud.com/todd-silva-219311156
i7 5820K, 32G DDR4, Win10, Bitwig 3.x, NI and U-he synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2618 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:01 am

sagetone wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm
but in launcher, I can't select individual tracks, only banks of tracks.
What did you map? Use "Track: Select X" or "Track: Select Next/Previous Track". Also try the Modes functions.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2618 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 am

sagetone wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm
but in launcher, I can't select individual tracks, only banks of tracks.
What did you map? Use "Track: Select X" or "Track: Select Next/Previous Track". Also try the Modes functions.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2618 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am

DrivenByMoss 11.5.1 is online!
  • Requires Bitwig 3.2.5+
  • APC40
    • New: Knob LEDs are totally turned off if parameter does not exist.
  • Fire
    • New: In Note Sequencer Shift + Grid buttons change the Scale, Shift + Alt + Grid buttons change the Scale Base key. For consistency the button combinations in Play and Piano modes are adjusted accordingly.
    • New: Use Shift + Select knob in note and Poly Sequencer mode to transpose notes of clip up/down.
    • Fixed: Channel parameters did not get reassigned when drum pad was changed.
    • Fixed: Selection got lost when scrolling too fast through drum pads in drum sequencer.
    • Fixed: Wrong parameter name was shown in combination with ALT button.
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Added functions to toggle user parameters between minimum and maximum value.
  • Launchkey Mk3
    • Fixed: Endless opening / closing loop of browser if browser was opened in Bitwig instead of from the Launchkey.
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Tap tempo in Shift Mode did not work.
  • Maschine Mk3 / Mikro Mk3
    • New: Channel and Polyaftertouch of the pads are now routed to Bitwig.
  • OSC
    • New: Added */clip/stopall
    • which stops all playing clips.
  • Push
    • Fixed: Device data on Info page was not displayed.
    • Fixed: Several issues with knob mapping in layer modes.
Enjoy!

KVRian
596 posts since 22 Nov, 2006

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am

moss wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 am
What did you map? Use "Track: Select X" or "Track: Select Next/Previous Track". Also try the Modes functions.
Hi Moss, I think you are suggesting I use Flexi for the BSP. I tried your suggestions, too confusing, so went back to a previous version (7.60) and BSP running fine. I'm going to leave it as-is. LK 49 MkII working well with Bitwig script, so I'll leave it for now. As mentioned, may upgrade to MkIII or something like a Push. Thanks for your help!
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
https://soundcloud.com/todd-silva-219311156
i7 5820K, 32G DDR4, Win10, Bitwig 3.x, NI and U-he synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

KVRer
21 posts since 21 Jul, 2001

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:59 am

Hi, about a month ago i started using Bitwig, Push and the MOSS controllers scripts. The device panels and the way you have implemented them in Push is really great. For me this is the first time that it's worthwhile to map and control vst's nearly completely with hardware.
So i've been on a panel mapping spree and this made me feel that some things could be improved further. I think the way parameter names are presented is better than the - pretty but small - graphics in Ableton. And your value bar is genius.
But when you map a lot of plugins, you notice that it's sometimes quite hard to fit a parameter on the screen, or come up with an abbreviation that makes sense.
If it would be possible to change the font for the parameter text (either with or without the values) to a smaller font i would expect there to be more room for the parameter names.
The current font is quite big compared to the bar above it, so it can be quite a bit smaller without sacrificing usability.
There would be even more room if the value bar is reduced in height.
So, i would like to know if changing the font size is possible.

Next, the current square background is not very pretty on the push display, at least on mine the picture is crude and red for the values is too much for me.
So i tried to customize it in the controller settings:
custom.JPG
To get ride of the grey square i tried to change the background to black:
black bg.JPG
For me that looks better, but the borders between the parameter blocks are now missing. Which makes it less usable.
The border setting changes quite a lot in the display, in the picture below i changed them to red to have it stand out:
border.JPG
So my second question is; is there anything i can change to still have a vertical separator between the parameter blocks, in a different color than the background, without changing anything else that the current border settings is changing?
thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist
465 posts since 29 Mar, 2016

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Yay!!! The fire drums are working like they should. Good work sir.

User avatar
KVRist
30 posts since 20 Nov, 2013

Post Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:29 am

moss wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am
DrivenByMoss 11.5.1 is online!
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Added functions to toggle user parameters between minimum and maximum value.
Thanks a lot for adding this! :tu:
It's now possible to use the buttons of the AKAI MidiMix as On/Off switches. I've updated the User Parameter layout for the MidiMix I posted before. It has 12 toggle and 4 push buttons now.

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRer
7 posts since 28 Feb, 2007

Post Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm

moss wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 am
oyrgawd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure how to search it --

With Ableton (on Mac, Catalina), my Push 2 holds its state and control of Live regardless of the active application. Like, I can switch over to VS Code or anything else, and Push looks the same, and is immediately responsive if I hit the Play button, etc.

With Bitwig, when I switch the active application, after a few seconds, the Push pads and screen go out, and the buttons are not immediately responsive, like it takes a second to 'wake up.'

This might be a Bitwig thing vs. a (wonderful and very appreciated) Moss script thing. Maybe there's a way in MacOS to dedicate a thread? Maybe other controllers behave differently? It kind of tilts me toward using Live, because I like to be able to reach out and goof with a loop while doing real work during the day.
I tested a bit (on Big Sur) but cannot reproduce that. However, there are several squirks with Macos, I am aware of an issue with LEDs not updating when switching modes. I reported it to Bitwig, please do with you issue as well.
I was wrong about the pads "going out." The pads stay lit, but after a little bit with a different application in focus, the display goes blank (still backlit), then flashes once in awhile with the Mix view, or whatever its previous state. Then any pad or button press takes a few seconds to register w/ Bitwig, unlike when Bitwig is the focused application. I'm still on Catalina, but w/ the latest DrivenByMoss extension. My hunch is that it's less of a controller issue than an issue with what Bitwig does when it's not the top-focused app. I'll reach out to Bitwig support. As a workaround, I've found that if I leave my laptop open and a Bitwig window in it, the Push 2 doesn't flicker and the connection 'stays alive'.

KVRist
481 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Baltimore, MD

Post Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 pm

oyrgawd wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm
moss wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 am
oyrgawd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure how to search it --

With Ableton (on Mac, Catalina), my Push 2 holds its state and control of Live regardless of the active application. Like, I can switch over to VS Code or anything else, and Push looks the same, and is immediately responsive if I hit the Play button, etc.

With Bitwig, when I switch the active application, after a few seconds, the Push pads and screen go out, and the buttons are not immediately responsive, like it takes a second to 'wake up.'

This might be a Bitwig thing vs. a (wonderful and very appreciated) Moss script thing. Maybe there's a way in MacOS to dedicate a thread? Maybe other controllers behave differently? It kind of tilts me toward using Live, because I like to be able to reach out and goof with a loop while doing real work during the day.
I tested a bit (on Big Sur) but cannot reproduce that. However, there are several squirks with Macos, I am aware of an issue with LEDs not updating when switching modes. I reported it to Bitwig, please do with you issue as well.
I was wrong about the pads "going out." The pads stay lit, but after a little bit with a different application in focus, the display goes blank (still backlit), then flashes once in awhile with the Mix view, or whatever its previous state. Then any pad or button press takes a few seconds to register w/ Bitwig, unlike when Bitwig is the focused application. I'm still on Catalina, but w/ the latest DrivenByMoss extension. My hunch is that it's less of a controller issue than an issue with what Bitwig does when it's not the top-focused app. I'll reach out to Bitwig support. As a workaround, I've found that if I leave my laptop open and a Bitwig window in it, the Push 2 doesn't flicker and the connection 'stays alive'.
I have the same behavior - if Bitwig is not focussed, the display will blink on and off. It does seem like something on Bitwig's end but I'm not sure!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Audio Engineer / Music Producer

KVRer
7 posts since 28 Feb, 2007

Post Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:15 pm

reflekshun wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 pm
oyrgawd wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm
moss wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 am
oyrgawd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure how to search it --

With Ableton (on Mac, Catalina), my Push 2 holds its state and control of Live regardless of the active application. Like, I can switch over to VS Code or anything else, and Push looks the same, and is immediately responsive if I hit the Play button, etc.

With Bitwig, when I switch the active application, after a few seconds, the Push pads and screen go out, and the buttons are not immediately responsive, like it takes a second to 'wake up.'

This might be a Bitwig thing vs. a (wonderful and very appreciated) Moss script thing. Maybe there's a way in MacOS to dedicate a thread? Maybe other controllers behave differently? It kind of tilts me toward using Live, because I like to be able to reach out and goof with a loop while doing real work during the day.
I tested a bit (on Big Sur) but cannot reproduce that. However, there are several squirks with Macos, I am aware of an issue with LEDs not updating when switching modes. I reported it to Bitwig, please do with you issue as well.
I was wrong about the pads "going out." The pads stay lit, but after a little bit with a different application in focus, the display goes blank (still backlit), then flashes once in awhile with the Mix view, or whatever its previous state. Then any pad or button press takes a few seconds to register w/ Bitwig, unlike when Bitwig is the focused application. I'm still on Catalina, but w/ the latest DrivenByMoss extension. My hunch is that it's less of a controller issue than an issue with what Bitwig does when it's not the top-focused app. I'll reach out to Bitwig support. As a workaround, I've found that if I leave my laptop open and a Bitwig window in it, the Push 2 doesn't flicker and the connection 'stays alive'.
I have the same behavior - if Bitwig is not focussed, the display will blink on and off. It does seem like something on Bitwig's end but I'm not sure!
Makes me contemplate a Faderport + Launchpad combo of some sort. But Push is nice... I'll update here if Bitwig support replies with any workarounds or suggestions.

KVRer
21 posts since 21 Jul, 2001

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 am

Makes me contemplate a Faderport + Launchpad combo of some sort
Push has it drawbacks, so i'm also looking around from time to time to.
But with that setup you miss what i think is the best part of push; the big display below the encoders.
Without display you have to either memorize what the knobs do, or look at your monitor and match what you see there to your muscle movements. For me that is not a great way of working, unless you always map the same things and it becomes part of your muscle memory.

The only other controller i know that has the same kind of displays is the Novation SL mk3.
If the faders are better quality than the previous SL it could be a great synth controller.
But those 49 keys take up a lot of space compared to a Push.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2618 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Some good news!

MIDI SysEx issues are fixed on Macos and Akai Fire and Novation SLMkIII work nicely now!
Bitwig Update with the fix should appear in the near future! :tu:

KVRist
92 posts since 30 Jun, 2005 from Scotland

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:25 am

Made an 'Shift Mode' overlay for the Launchpad Mini Mk3 as I keep forgetting what the various commands are
Mini-MK3-Overlay-Card-FINAL.jpg
Above is just a cropped jpeg to show what it looks like - don't print this.

Below is a link to the 300dpi .bmp to print out :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gqeITG ... sp=sharing

This is using bitmapped fonts, but it might look ok if it's scaled up to fit the Launchpad X.

I just printed this out on photo paper, trimmed to just the menu part, and stuck it to the side of my Mini Mk3 with glue dots.

You could always print it out & laminate it for a more ridgid shape if you have the tools.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MoodyB on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Controller Scripting”