Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

I would very much welcome a Jupiter 4 emulation. It has a very different vibe than the 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ertbejBVXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFx_5dGxEkA

These two videos convinced me that both the JP-4 and 6 would make great emulations. I'm a huuuge fan of BPF's, something which EvilDragon pointed out the 6 has. Also, another thing I had forgotten, a second LFO! With all of the modulation destinations the JP-8 has, a second LFO was sorely needed.

Oh yes, a second LFO should be mandatory for any subtractive synth. Gosh, one is always used for vibrato which leaves you with no LFOs for something else. Although you can modulate multiple things with that one LFO, I always find myself looking for ways to modulate the sound in a couple of different ways.

Thanks ED for reminding us about the differences between JP-6 and JP-8, and for interesting videos Realistortion. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

All of the Roland synths of that era used the same filter chip - the IR3109 - in slightly different configurations. Even the later run of the promars/jupiter 4 used it (the earlier run used the BA662, same as the SH2/09). Patrick has modelled three variants of the IR3109 already (juno, sh101 and j8) and has also modelled the CEM3340 (the oscillator chip in both the sh101 and the j6) so he has a solid foundation for a J-6...

suthnear wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:11 pm All of the Roland synths of that era used the same filter chip - the IR3109 - in slightly different configurations. Even the later run of the promars/jupiter 4 used it (the earlier run used the BA662, same as the SH2/09). Patrick has modelled three variants of the IR3109 already (juno, sh101 and j8) and has also modelled the CEM3340 (the oscillator chip in both the sh101 and the j6) so he has a solid foundation for a J-6...
I prefer the jup 6 filter resonance over the jup 8 , it's more rounded at higher settings ,that typical bubbly resonance
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I gotta say, I'm quite appreciative of the fact that we all waited until J-8 lost the "Release Candidate" designation and was officially out two days before jumping right to what Patrick should emulate next. I think that shows remarkable restraint on all of our parts. Nice job KVR! :tu: :clap: :P

I second all the above suggestions about a J-4 and J-6! :hihi:

lol
rsp
sound sculptist

Some Roland's just don't get as much love compared to the more famous ones. I've had just as much fun playing on the Jupiter 4 (and the Jupiter 6) as I have on the Jupiter 8. The tone of the 8 is very special, almost perfect, but it's a slightly more regal, polished sound compared to the more raw grittiness of the 4 (which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's great for vintage, lo-fi, indie, rock or more noise textured music). Compared to the 6, the 8 has a little more weight, harmonics and low end solidity when doing classic synths sounds. If you push the 6 into more modern tones using some of the extra features (especially BPF and resonant HPF), it hits it's sweet spot as a more modern tone with a bit more upper frequency bite. The clearer low mids/upper lows also allow it to take up a different space in the mix so it can definitely feel different. The 6 and the 8 can sound fairly similar at certain settings though, so maybe it would be preferable to have someone else model it for the sake of variety (if the market really needs it in the first place)?

I always hoped u-he or Synapse would do the Jupiter 4, since they capture that grit pretty well, but it would be cool to see Tal do something with a bit more dirt and continue his journey through Roland analogs. No hurry though... we've all probably got synths for years if not decades at this point.

Some sounds for the nerds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWlV3N7tF5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAEkJm8KkD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp5pnXi-8Oo

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 pm I gotta say, I'm quite appreciative of the fact that we all waited until J-8 lost the "Release Candidate" designation and was officially out two days before jumping right to what Patrick should emulate next. I think that shows remarkable restraint on all of our parts. Nice job KVR! :tu: :clap: :P

I second all the above suggestions about a J-4 and J-6! :hihi:
Lol, I certainly didn't write my requests directly to Patrick, he has few plugs compared to other developers, but they are a joy to play, very very detailed and alive, and end up at the top of many plugin lists. Plus, regular updates with all manner of new additions!

...but yes, more Jupiter series emulations pls

If anyone's using Roland Cloud or the old Content Store versions, the Pro Mars has the ballsiest filter on the Roland plugs. Gets all the way into self oscillation and "oh shit, am I gonna blow my speakers with all that bass" when doing full resonance sweeps. The other Roland Cloud filters sound incredibly weak by comparison (and I think their Jupiter-8 is quite bad meanwhile I love the TAL version*) but that Pro Mars is a ton of fun. Now, the Pro Mars might be a different filter than the Jupiter-4, but they were apparently known as mono Jupiter-4's. A poly version of that would be a glorious thing.

*My theory as to why the Roland Cloud versions are so bad? I think different developers worked on the Pro Mars and/or mono filters, and when it came time to make the Poly synths, Roland couldn't run 8-voices of a filter that good on their ACB chips so they dumbed down the filter code for the poly's. Hence why the Pro-Mars has this incredible filter that's super punchy and ballsy meanwhile the Jupiter-8 filter in Roland Cloud is very weak and does not sound good at all when compared to a better emulation like the TAL. That's 100% pure conjecture though.

I love the aesthetic of the older Roland synths, and especially the "Compuphonic" with the Data 70 font! The looked like they sounded like a side of beef.

I just watched a Promars video and it sounds awesome even on YouTube. Guess I wasn't paying as much attention back then.

I'm working my way up, having finally purchased U-No-Lx - which is silly, 'cause I have Diva, and the J-8 is out. But I wanted to treat it like I actually purchased the hardware, and spend time with it making patches, experimenting - best with a simple synth that sounds spectacular. This one is next.

I'm cool with non-skeumorphic GUIs, but if TAL decides to do a proper Jupiter 4, I hope they reeproduce that front panel :)

Quick question: where is the version number in/on the GUI?

I would jump on a Jupiter 4 emulation like nobody’s business.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

plexuss wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 am Quick question: where is the version number in/on the GUI?
Top left. If you’re running the demo, it’s right where the demo text is (when you’re not running the demo).

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:21 am I would jump on a Jupiter 4 emulation like nobody’s business.
Even though I had real JP-4 for quite long and loved it so much, I would rather jump on a JP-6 emu now that we have JP-8. Most probably because I never had it. :hihi: But I so get you, man. Kinda like 4xProMars in one. What's not to :love:

I used to tweak the oscillators with a screwdriver on JP-4 behind that panel. It was always open. I couldn't imagine a better first synth for a tweaker like me at the time. Except system 100M.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Instruments”