Dance Music Manual

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you guys think about the Dance Music Manual by RIck Snoman.

Also, any books on edm you like?

Thanks,

Tony L
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Not sure how helpful this will be, since I only have the first edition and haven't looked at it in probably 10 years or more. That version was excellent and pretty comprehensive at the time, although it's very dated in terms of genres and specific software that a dance music producer would use in 2021. I assume you're asking about the 4th edition released in 2019? Hopefully others who have it will reply, but I would assume that the new version is much the same quality as the earlier editions, but covering more modern tools, techniques, and genres. There's probably nothing in the book that you couldn't find online/YouTube, but having a comprehensive printed resource is not a bad thing, either, IMO.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Like the previous poster, I also read it way back in the day. I'd say most of the information can be found online, but books are great because the information is structured better. If it doesn't hurt your wallet, I'd definitely read it. I also read Music Theory for Computer Musicians and remember liking it too.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I teach a class in music production at University and the Dance Music Manual is basically my textbook for the students. As other people mentioned you may be able to find all the information online and piece it together, but there's also a lot of BS out there. The Dance Music Manual is worth it for its chapter on compression alone, and even if you're not into EDM its a worthwhile book.
"FriendZone"

I have 2019 edition and i think it's great / very useful. I learned plenty.

Another book which has helped me is Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”