Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So they haven't delivered GUI update, stock devices are horribly outdated, DAW and MIDI features are years due and after a year of work they come up with ... Subscription :D :D :D
LOL

Did you read their instagram/youtube? They really pissed people off. I use to use it, but stopped.

This is just fantastic. A lot of people subscribe to Output Arcade but with this you get a DAW, a plugin, effects, synths and new sounds every month for not much more.

I will stop my subscriptions to Output, Loopcloud and Noiiz. And subscribe only to Reason+.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm So they haven't delivered GUI update, stock devices are horribly outdated, DAW and MIDI features are years due and after a year of work they come up with ... Subscription :D :D :D
LOL
Nope. Reason 12 is due this year. That has updated GUI and DAW features.
Last edited by v1o on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm So they haven't delivered GUI update, stock devices are horribly outdated, DAW and MIDI features are years due and after a year of work they come up with ... Subscription :D :D :D
LOL
Think positively! In the last decade they have hoarded a huge amount of missing features that they now can add one by one every few months to keep the subscribers happy. After a decade or two they'll be on par with the competition.

nix808 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pm we can still buy Reason for now==>
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-11/
Not just for now. But for the foreseeable future. Perpetual licences are not going away.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

First let me state that I am not at all disappointed in Reason doing a subscription model. Businesses have to make choices, and software has been leaning into subscription modeling for awhile now.

What does bother me is the discontinuing of Reason Suite. I upgraded to this last year with the idea that this would be the way to get all their current products and still retain "ownership" of the product.

I hated when Adobe went to subscription only. I had purchased several of their products and was unable to update them when they became a sub service. Sadly, given my work, I had to subscribe to stay current and connected. I pay $50 a month to use their products... just a sad but true reality. On the other hand, I would have probably paid just as much to keep their products updated as one off shots...except if I cancel, I lose all ability to keep using what I have paid for to date.

It is ashamed that products are not offered as "for sale" then you can optionally add on a subscription to get releases as they come out....if you cancel your sub, you keep everything released up to that point.

THERE^^^ that is a new workable business model.

But yea, I hate that Reason is going this path overall.

Why people (especially Reason Studios) seem to think this subscription model is good for new users? I mean the price is very hefty here. You pay yourself sick and can't even keep the product if you end your subscription?

I mean, there are BUNCH of good DAWS out there with CHEAPER price than Reason+'s year subscription. So how this would be alluring option? Sure some people might find it attempting - but reading some Reason Studios' comments it seems they are trying to get more users, I don't think this route is very helpful for getting more users... Might be even quite opposite result :(

Maybe if reason would be number ONE daw offering the BEST plugins etc etc. Maybe this type of subscription would work in case were people are totally doing everything so they could use Reason+... But as now this just seems quite meh...
Last edited by Tannaliini on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:27 pm

What does bother me is the discontinuing of Reason Suite. I upgraded to this last year with the idea that this would be the way to get all their current products and still retain "ownership" of the product.

Why are you disappointed? If you upgrade to Reason v12 you will keep all your current RE licences.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Benutzername wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:26 pm
LOL
Think positively! In the last decade they have hoarded a huge amount of missing features that they now can add one by one every few months to keep the subscribers happy. After a decade or two they'll be on par with the competition.
Or they won't add anything as for example Slate does with their subscription. Once they have money flowing in they don't have to do anything
v1o wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:26 pm
Not just for now. But for the foreseeable future. Perpetual licences are not going away.
We'll see - you might get unpleasantly surprised

cursor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:11 pm
Eclectrophonic wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:55 pm
cursor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm Oh dear, I've been upgrading Reason every year since version 4 and it looks like it could be my last. I'm not going to subscribe.
Unfortunately l think they are struggling :?
You can still upgrade. They stated on Reasontalk that it's not subscription ONLY, it's as well as so either or.
I realise that, it's more me becoming disillusioned with the
the way it's direction has changed now.
You shouldn't get disillusioned by something that doesn't affect you negatively. They haven't changed directions. They're now offering a subscription option. Everything else remains the same.
Last edited by v1o on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm
By what? Let's stick to facts and not make baseless rumours.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:26 pm
Except those that they cancelled now: Suite and Intro. That's, well, 2 out of 3 ;)
Btw. the 'foreseeable future' is 'tomorrow', but certainly not 'in a year' or 'in five years'.
I agree with you that they won't cancel it before 13. The question is how long they survive.

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 pm
0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm
By what? Let's stick to facts and not make baseless rumours.
Even Matthias mentioned they can't definitely rule anything out:
Look, I'm not saying we can't rule it out to be shady. It's just incredibly dishonest to go "we'll never ever do thing X" about anything. That's just being naive. No company on earth can promise something like that because who knows what'll happen in 20 years? Or 30? We can aspire to it and say there are no such plans, but you're asking me to accurately see many many years into the future. :D
And I totally understand him - he can't rule it out, after all company has to stay afloat. But it doesn't mean I have to participate in that financially

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”