Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:29 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:27 pm

What does bother me is the discontinuing of Reason Suite. I upgraded to this last year with the idea that this would be the way to get all their current products and still retain "ownership" of the product.

Why are you disappointed? If you upgrade to Reason v12 you will keep all your current RE licences.
Getting to keep a license I paid for is no prompt, inspiration, or bonus for me to upgrade to v12. Additionally, the Suite direction offered that I would get NEW products offered from Reason Studios, something that you did not get by just formerly updating your existing Reason (which is weird because v1-6 did that). And for the record, they have taken down the former page which explained that all Suite users get additional premium instruments and effects.<--- That is what I bought into, and expected to be able to perpetuate moving forward having paid more for Suite this last time around.

So while I keep what I have (thank god) I am actually DOWNGRADING the nature of my license by going to v12.

And that is VERY disappointing. Period.

Boy oh boy, I simply can't wait for Reason+, it's the greatest deal in music production subscription software! Now I can cancel all my 25 other subscriptions and only use Reason+ (it's the greatest deal in music production subscription software). I was paying over $1000 a month on software subscriptions, but now Reason+, the greatest deal in music production software subscriptions has come along and saved me $980 per month. I was about to lose my house and car from debt until the incredibly low price of Reason+ (the greatest deal in music production software subscriptions) saved my life and my marriage.

I'm very happy that after purchasing Reason Suite, they have graciously offered to let me pay $20 per month for the software I already own plus an extra rack extension and a few sounds. I already paid them $600 for outdated software, I'm very VERY happy to have the unique opportunity to pay them even more money on a monthly basis. I wish it cost even more than $20 so I could give them more of my money! Let's start a petition to make Reason+ more expensive, at $20 it's just TOO good a deal!

What an exciting development! This is my true and thought out opinion, Im not working with the developers of Reason+ (which, by the way, is the best deal in music production software subscriptions).

Oh dear. I had been slowly buying my way into the Reason ecosystem, but seeing this I'll just stand well back for a while. The most concerning part is the way they have shut out RE developers.

The Youtube comments are pretty entertaining btw. The best defense anyone can really manage is "we don't know how bad things will get yet".

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm
Getting to keep a license I paid for is no prompt, inspiration, or bonus for me to upgrade to v12. Additionally, the Suite direction offered that I would get NEW products offered from Reason Studios, something that you did not get by just formerly updating your existing Reason (which is weird because v1-6 did that). And for the record, they have taken down the former page which explained that all Suite users get additional premium instruments and effects.<--- That is what I bought into, and expected to be able to perpetuate moving forward having paid more for Suite this last time around.

So while I keep what I have (thank god) I am actually DOWNGRADING the nature of my license by going to v12.

And that is VERY disappointing. Period.
In my opinion the main impetus for any Reason upgrade should be new features and improvements to the DAW/sequencer/editor. Quite honestly if the only change in v12 was the addition of new devices, then it would be regarded as a failure by most users. The problem with the Suite was that it was unfair to people that actually bought Rack Extensions full price.

The only difference between Reason and Reason Suite were the additional devices. Going forward you are not going to lose any of your devices if you upgrade to v12. And furthermore as far as I'm aware, RS never announced that future versions of the Suite would add new devices to the bundle. So it is perfectly plausible that Reason Suite v12 had it not been discontinued, would have had the exact same bundle of devices as v11, the sole advantage being the ability to get rack extensions at a much discounted price for people with the regular version of Reason.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

When people realize that to make music you don't need thousands of samples, plugins, etc. all these subscriptions will go to hell.

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 pm Boy oh boy, I simply can't wait for Reason+, it's the greatest deal in music production subscription software! Now I can cancel all my 25 other subscriptions and only use Reason+ (it's the greatest deal in music production subscription software). I was paying over $1000 a month on software subscriptions, but now Reason+, the greatest deal in music production software subscriptions has come along and saved me $980 per month. I was about to lose my house and car from debt until the incredibly low price of Reason+ (the greatest deal in music production software subscriptions) saved my life and my marriage.

I'm very happy that after purchasing Reason Suite, they have graciously offered to let me pay $20 per month for the software I already own plus an extra rack extension and a few sounds. I already paid them $600 for outdated software, I'm very VERY happy to have the unique opportunity to pay them even more money on a monthly basis. I wish it cost even more than $20 so I could give them more of my money! Let's start a petition to make Reason+ more expensive, at $20 it's just TOO good a deal!

What an exciting development! This is my true and thought out opinion, Im not working with the developers of Reason+ (which, by the way, is the best deal in music production software subscriptions).
:clap: :love:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:27 pm In my opinion the main impetus for any Reason upgrade should be new features and improvements to the DAW/sequencer/editor. Quite honestly if the only change in v12 was the addition of new devices, then it would be regarded as a failure by most users. The problem with the Suite was that it was unfair to people that actually bought Rack Extensions full price.

The only difference between Reason and Reason Suite were the additional devices. Going forward you are not going to lose any of your devices if you upgrade to v12. And furthermore as far as I'm aware, RS never announced that future versions of the Suite would add new devices to the bundle. So it is perfectly plausible that Reason Suite v12 had it not been discontinued, would have had the exact same bundle of devices as v11, the sole advantage being the ability to get rack extensions at a much discounted price for people with the regular version of Reason.
I have been with Reason a long time. Since v1. The impetus for upgrading Reason is always new features...but also new Racks...I mean THIS IS REASON! If you think it is just for new features and improvements, clearly you have been using Reason only since V7.

Like I said, the page that discussed Suite including new devices is gone. They stated that would be the path to include new Reason Studio Racks moving forward (as well as the plugin) and that Reason non-Suite would only include features and improvements to the DAW.

Reason is not my main DAW and never has been. Nuendo is and will probably always be that. Because I don't use Reason as my main DAW is why I am disappointed in my upgrade path really being downgraded. I have no use for a standalone DAW in Reason. The Racks were worth their digital space in Bitcoins. Still are...but with no upgrade path moving forward to expand that...

Disappointing.

(Of course I can still buy Racks. That is not the point. They destroyed my upgrade path that they JUST created...stupid of them.)

Kinda weird when someone with ~2700 posts says they're gonna cancel their THREE SEPARATE SUBSCRIPTIONS that I can't find them ever talking about using the search function. Subscriptions that contain MILLIONS of sounds and loops curated over many years, that they'll magically replace with Reason+, a brand new service that has nowhere near the selection of the THREE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES the user apparently pays for, but comes with a DAW (which does not factor into the users decision to buy these subscriptions because they already own and upgrade the Reason DAW).

Quite strange. I look forward to seeing more of this users completely baffling defenses of this dumpster fire.

It's simple. I have NI Komplete 12. I didn't want to upgrade so I'll wait for the summer sale. I have Arturia V-collection 7 and didn't want to upgrade to 8 so I'll do it later (when the price is right). I have Reason 11 Suite and waited for Reason 12 Suite for possible upgrade. Now Suite does not exist in Reason Studios page, and I honestly don't understand my upgrade plan anymore.

It even says in the Reason Studios page that "Want more? Check out Reason 11 Suite
This supersized version of Reason has all of Reason 11 plus 16 premium instruments & effects. A bargain at $599 only."

But the link does not work.

So the ONLY reason why they removed the suite from their shop is that people would not buy that subscription model?

And why would anyone rent Reason for 20€/month, if they can rent to OWN Studio One 5 pro and Serum for 23€/month and get additional sounds from Splice for 7.99€/100 when they want?

Edit. I know that the last part of my post is subjective. But still...

So by just paying $20 a month I get to download an additional application that spams me with hard drive cluttering samples and presets? And if I stop paying I can no longer open my old projects? Very tempting!

alright,
I am interested in the way the company progresses

I used ReBirth since 2000
The original progenitors r=>
Dan Engelbrecht
Fredrick Haglund
Peter Jubel
Ernst Nathorst Boos
Fredrik Solenberg
Mark Zetterquist

The company used to be called Propellerhead
It was hooked up with Steinberg, ie Cubase

I have had Reason since v3,
and have always been blown away whenever I have loaded it

They have been bought by an investor, which is an interested in it's investment or equity,
so they are dealing say in stock exchange, it's an interesting tech co
which is essentially a luxury non-essential service

Reason has made many dramatic movements in it's last few versions,
including VST hosting, and loading the rack as a VST

maybe none of this is anything new to the table, but it's some background on what is a
somehow rare DAW

Propellerhead also created ReCycle sample file format and ReWire host sync technology
Last edited by nix808 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Again...

I am NOT against them having a subscription service. If it encourages growth and creativity in new users, that is fantastic! I truly wish them well.

However, completely cutting off my current upgrade path (Suite, not Standard) is wrong.

For any who are arguing that there was never going to be devices added to Suite...

When I click my icon in Windows (the one that says Reason 11 SUITE), I am greeted with a splash screen that says Reason 11 SUITE. The basic version does not say that...even if you own every rack that is included in Suite. This implies that my upgrade path is a higher tier than basic v11 and includes more than basic v11. History of every software concept since software was invented tells you that upgrades to that or similar path (ie. Suite, Pro, Complete, etc.) generally include more than basic. Common sense tells you that if you are not a history buff.

Now that path is gone. No matter what, any "upgrade" to a newer version is DOWNGRADE to the path I bought into.

They have completely lost their way.

I just saw Native Instruments was purchased by investors. That is scary.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm I just saw Native Instruments was purchased by investors. That is scary.
That worries me too :roll:

Remember this from a short time ago:

I'm going to guess that the reason (pun) they are introducing a subscription model is because they are trying to convert all the newly acquired Reason Lite Rack users in to full fledged Reason users by offering a low cost entry option.

I don't like when companies try and separate out their versions by limiting functions and features and adding plugins you can't get otherwise... I don't think Reason Suite users had to deal with that at least.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pmFor any who are arguing that there was never going to be devices added to Suite...

When I click my icon in Windows (the one that says Reason 11 SUITE), I am greeted with a splash screen that says Reason 11 SUITE. The basic version does not say that...even if you own every rack that is included in Suite. This implies that my upgrade path is a higher tier than basic v11 and includes more than basic v11. History of every software concept since software was invented tells you that upgrades to that or similar path (ie. Suite, Pro, Complete, etc.) generally include more than basic. Common sense tells you that if you are not a history buff.
It's all in your head.

You were never promised Suite will be a thing going forward.

You also keep all the "extra" REs you got with Suite, so - in a sense - you still have (and will continue to have) the superior version to anyone with 11 and without those REs.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”