Which developers are a safe bet for longevity.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

About the OP question: I don't know! It is gambling! If you are afraid from taking any risk, then you can stay with dead products. They are safe bet and lasts forever, because they are dead :clown:

There are NO "safe bets for longevity". Especially not in the Covid-19 era.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I have to agree with Spitfire31: "There are NO "safe bets for longevity". Even if the developer is stable there is no accounting on what they will do as platforms and OS's change.
Ironically, I have software that has outlived the hardware it was purchased on. Still from my experience to date, your best bet for longevity would be samples in .wav format.

Jorgeelalto wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 am U-he because they do things right, Valhalla too. iZotope because they probably have a large market share, Surge Synth Team because it's Open Source. Spectrasonics. Probably a good rule of thumb for this is, think of companies that develop only a few products, and that are popular. Check also update frequency and how big the updates are, that's probably going to be a good indicator.
iZotope only for their premier plugins. The rest get OS compatibility updates at best.

hardware.

the big guns
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Definitely not Reason Studios.

U-He seems stable. I normally would say NI but things have gotten weirder over there recently.

That's one of the issues I have with most copy protections. When the company have to close and want to close you can lose it all.

From the big names Waves is by far the best in - just in this regard - and I think the main strength of them. WUP in the current form (price is calculated by the imaginary retail price, but the plugins are always on sale, so WUP price is way too high in reality) is a bad idea, but I think you can even open the oldest plugins without a problem.

I tend to say a lot of the good smaller boutique developers like to support and update there stuff a long time.

I'm fine as long as it's x64 and have a serial or keyfile protection. I love to buy such plugins. You can just save the installer and your fine.

:( I sure hope Meldaproduction, Native Instruments and Arturia are among them because I have invested a lot of money in their products! I am emotionally still raw (well, not really) about the shady and venal disappearing act of Camel Audio... Sometimes, brilliant developers have the audacity to die on us (H.G. Fortune aka Günter Hager)! Strangely enough but I would assume I am not entirely alone in this I have paid for updates for DAWs, VSTs and various Bundles year after year EVEN without using them AT ALL. In that money pit scenario an occasional dropping out of a valued developer is not the most substantial forfeiture.

The worst case scenario is when a developer quits but his/her program/vst (that you cherish/find very useful) contains a time-bomb after which the product will stop working. :x

None. But I think FabFilter & uHe are a good bet because they a) are rarely on sale so their business seems to work properly, b) they do not shit out plugins every week so they have a big ballpark of plugins left to come, c) they care for old products and d) they have the least intrusive copy protections.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pmhardware.
True that. I recently hooked up my old Oberheim Matrix1000; Access Virus-C, Nord Rack Modular, Yamaha TG-500; Jomox Airbase99; Emu Orbit etc. etc. and they all worked without a glitch even after having been stored without use for five years or so. Occasionally a button cell battery needs replacing and sometimes this means you have to restore the factory sounds (like in Korg m1rex). Still, I have also paid loads of money for VST's, DAWs etc. I do not use or hardly use but I have seen the light now... :idea:

shorty wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:36 pm copy protection is important. if the company goes out of business and your bought product uses e.g. challenge/response, you can't change your hardware anymore. had this with cakewalk and a few vst's and won't buy anything with "software centers" or c/r or however they call it.
Seems quite the trend to abandon usb dongles and have you log in on the developers/manufacturer's website, not just for DAWs like Reason but also for more and more plugins at least on first use.

Topic seems interesting,especially knowing that many developers quit or will quit soon the business if world crisis continue 'longer',but my thoughts in that directions go to Sylenth1 - no matter how advanced new synths are,there is something absolutely addictive musically in it :)Cheers :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:39 pm Topic seems interesting,especially knowing that many developers quit or will quit soon the business if world crisis continue 'longer'
Do you have some examples of developers who quit or will quit soon because of Corona?

i mean will quit because of poor sales most likely,it's worldwide,don't know exactly which ones,but isn't same 'business as before for sure,so it's suggestion :)

Return to “Instruments”