Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If Suite users want to upgrade to Reason 12 in order to get the high resolution graphics that (I hope) will finally be included, will we need to subscribe to Reason+? Or, if I understand thejonsolo's point correctly, will an upgrade to Reason 12 leave out our ability to use all of the REs and instruments currently in Reason 11 Suite unless we subscribe?

bharris22 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:28 pmIf Suite users want to upgrade to Reason 12 in order to get the high resolution graphics that (I hope) will finally be included, will we need to subscribe to Reason+? Or, if I understand thejonsolo's point correctly, will an upgrade to Reason 12 leave out our ability to use all of the REs and instruments currently in Reason 11 Suite unless we subscribe?
No. You can get 12 like you always did and even if 12 will not be Suite, you keep all the REs you have right now.

It's really easy to understand:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/intr ... eason-plus
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

If you know Propellerhead history at all, you know to only buy when you get the most for your money. Which is typically one purchase every 3 - 4 years or so. Unsurprisingly its also the period of time when they are forced to do something people actually want/need due to consistent lack of sales from their last decent offering from 3 years ago.

Mine went like this: Reason 3. Reason 6. Reason 9, Reason Suite. Only picked up the best non-vst Racks when they were on sale (which is actually quite a few, but almost none that were in the suite).

On a separate note, I noticed Propellerhead removed all references of what they 'offered' in various version both on their site and on wikipedia -- if they were so proud of what each version brought to the table, why remove it? Here's the last wayback you can find it:

http://web.archive.org/web/201803231217 ... (software)
I also had a detailed post on RT somewhere too that explained the paltry offerings per version, couldn't find it may have been deleted too.

See ya in another 3 years Props when you need my money again and are offering something worth buying!
Have you tried Vital?

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:18 pm Remember this from a short time ago:

I'm going to guess that the reason (pun) they are introducing a subscription model is because they are trying to convert all the newly acquired Reason Lite Rack users in to full fledged Reason users by offering a low cost entry option.
But not too low cost, as they cancelled Intro ;)
Certainly hasn't been a coincidence that you got free Lites from everywhere last year (I got 3, one from PB, one from Focusrite and another one - 2 of them I've already given away for free).

Right, so they had a plan and are executing it.
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm
Cancel Culture Club wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:18 pm Remember this from a short time ago:

I'm going to guess that the reason (pun) they are introducing a subscription model is because they are trying to convert all the newly acquired Reason Lite Rack users in to full fledged Reason users by offering a low cost entry option.
But not too low cost, as they cancelled Intro ;)
Certainly hasn't been a coincidence that you got free Lites from everywhere last year (I got 3, one from PB, one from Focusrite and another one - 2 of them I've already given away for free).

People keep saying we "get to keep what we have", like we have been graced with something.

I paid for it. Therefore, getting to keep something has nothing to do with what was implied when they released Suite.

God I wish I had kept their marketing email from that period.

Whether we have it in print or not, you KNOW what was implied. If they followed suite (pun) the next version WOULD have included new devices.

In fact, name just one version of Reason that did not include a new device! Go for it. (V11 Basic does not count because they gave us the upgrade path to Suite...good lord this is easy.) (And to make it easy on those who want to look it up...NONE. I know because I have upgraded every time since the beginning.)

Point and case.

0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm I just saw Native Instruments was purchased by investors. That is scary.
That worries me too :roll:
They were already owned by investors and now sold to different investors...

Blaster wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm
0degree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm I just saw Native Instruments was purchased by investors. That is scary.
That worries me too :roll:
They were already owned by investors and now sold to different investors...
I know and it still doesn't fill me with confidence :D

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm People keep saying we "get to keep what we have", like we have been graced with something.

I paid for it. Therefore, getting to keep something has nothing to do with what was implied when they released Suite.

God I wish I had kept their marketing email from that period.

Whether we have it in print or not, you KNOW what was implied. If they followed suite (pun) the next version WOULD have included new devices.

In fact, name just one version of Reason that did not include a new device! Go for it. (V11 Basic does not count because they gave us the upgrade path to Suite...good lord this is easy.) (And to make it easy on those who want to look it up...NONE. I know because I have upgraded every time since the beginning.)

Point and case.
You'll be missing out on what would have been a future Suite upgrade price that would have included additional plugins at a discount. Maybe they'll keep creating expansion bundles of plugins like before and offer a discount to Suite owners for version 12. Not the perfect solution, but there's not much else they really owe you. Unless there's some kind of broken promises that I'm unaware of?

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm People keep saying we "get to keep what we have", like we have been graced with something.

You contradict yourself. If you know you paid for them and therefore will keep them, why are you spreading a rumour you won't? :dog:

Again, you were never promised Suite to be continued beyond 11, nor were you promised new free extra devices if it were. You're making up stuff that wasn't said and getting pissed about it :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

But why would anyone buy a 600€ software suite and pay 20€/month after that to get what? 10% new stuff and 90% of the devices etc. that they already own and some samplepacks? I really just don't get it.
Last edited by Lazarus451 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes - the value proposition for current Suite owners is not clear to me, either, even at $9.99 per month for the first year.

Reason has always interested me but the price to try it out was.... too much imho. Hardware workflow all in the box and from what I have seen very low CPU usage.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:41 pm

You contradict yourself. If you know you paid for them and therefore will keep them, why are you spreading a rumour you won't? :dog:

Again, you were never promised Suite to be continued beyond 11, nor were you promised new free extra devices if it were. You're making up stuff that wasn't said and getting pissed about it :dog:
Show me where I said or implied that I would not get to keep anything. Go.

I don't care what I was or was not promised. They cut off the upgrade path to a future Suite. I don't need Reason as a DAW. I don't know why you cannot understand that.

This has nothing to do with promises. This is a bonehead move that shuts out current power users who have lots invested (for me literally thousands of dollars on upgrades) to keep on the path I started with them. I have no use to upgrade to a v12...unless it included more Racks. I am not going to a subscription based model where I don't get to keep what is included with it.

If you have read my posts you will see that from the get go I understand that I lose nothing. It is that my upgrade path is a downgrade that only includes an update to the DAW when my interests lied with new Racks that integrated into that updated DAW, and THAT as a package, without a subscription. Nope I wasn't promised it...I have just lived it for the last 20 years that I have been with them. And now that is gone. Why is that hard to get?

AND AGAIN I say I do not disagree with the subscription. Just don't jack with the direction that made me desire the product to begin with. THAT is what is...lemme say the word again: disappointing.

And all the words in the world, other than "SUITE IS BACK!" will not change my mind.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Let's think about it like this. Reason Suite is comparable in to Ableton Live Suite in-terms of goal. Now imagine Ableton Live 11 (non-suite) came out and all the Ableton 10 suite stuff was included but you need a sub to get something equivalent to Ableton Live Suite going forward. That's pretty shady and disconcerting imo. Especially since you paid extra for the extra content and plugins that is now selling for lower (which is fine) but to get the "real" suite upgrade you need a sub.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”