Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

This synth gets better and better :o Almost a real workstation. Now I would wish for more filter slots, envs, like 1-8 or so :) Could be in tabs in the GUI. The filter routing then would have to be refined.

You can already have up to 12 (multi-segment!) envelopes, plus filter and amp envelope. :)

We don't plan on making Surge rely on tabs too much, everything needs to be fast and accessible. As for more filter slots, we don't have any plans for that for the foreseeable future.

We are happy to announce Surge 1.8.1 was released today

So look, we're a ragtag group of volunteers. Software is complicated. And we missed a couple of things you know? Thanks to everyone who gave us great bug reports in 1.8.0. Nothing too big, but things worth fixing that we wouldn't have found, like what happens if your windows user name isn't ascii! (Now it works!) They are all detailed in https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

But also the 1.8.0 release had a bunch of folks come forward with new or changed content. Especially the TNMG and Jacky collections have been updated their patches to be more CPU efficient, and and there's a variety of new content, presets, and patches from other authors too!

Enjoy!

Clem4 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:19 am would be cool if you could add a newsletter form on your surge website to inform us about updates
So as evil said, we update the KVR page and you can subscribe to that.

But also: That's a neat idea! Everything in Surge happens, though, because someone who thinks it is a neat idea decides to do it! We have people who spend a lot of time on the manual, on skins, on the DSP, on the code, and on patches. So if this idea really inspires you, you are welcome to join the team and do it! Just hop onto discord, join the team (there's no application process other than 'don't be rude') and lets figure it out!

baconpaul wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:28 pm We are happy to announce Surge 1.8.1 was released today

So look, we're a ragtag group of volunteers. Software is complicated. And we missed a couple of things you know? Thanks to everyone who gave us great bug reports in 1.8.0. Nothing too big, but things worth fixing that we wouldn't have found, like what happens if your windows user name isn't ascii! (Now it works!) They are all detailed in https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

But also the 1.8.0 release had a bunch of folks come forward with new or changed content. Especially the TNMG and Jacky collections have been updated their patches to be more CPU efficient, and and there's a variety of new content, presets, and patches from other authors too!

Enjoy!
:party:

Thanks again to the team involved.

And I definitely should have said it at 1.8.0... but if at some time you guys can give the option not to show explicitly Category and Author (the fields values are ok just that showing explicitly the Field Category and Author as an option would be nice so this wouldn't happen.
Thanks,
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

brew on OSX already has the 1.8.1 version. Tight work there, very nice.

uOpt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 pm brew on OSX already has the 1.8.1 version. Tight work there, very nice.
This is partly because it’s part of our checklist, but also mostly because the homebrew folks have done an amazing job automating their process. High quality software, homebrew. They make it super duper easy on devs to use and update.

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm Thanks again to the team involved.

And I definitely should have said it at 1.8.0... but if at some time you guys can give the option not to show explicitly Category and Author (the fields values are ok just that showing explicitly the Field Category and Author as an option would be nice so this wouldn't happen.
Thanks,
rsp
Then it can sometimes be ambiguous what's category and what's author. We'll have a think, but I don't think this is the solution.

ok. not sure how hard it is, but something you can switch on and switch off maybe. That may act as a refresher?
rsp
sound sculptist

What do you think why my name in the preset list is shortened :hihi:
This has come up a couple of times. Smarter people than me (namely EvilDragon and baconpaul) are currently working on a better solution.

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm Thanks again to the team involved.

Thanks,
rsp
Something that might work for you in the meantime: Stanley G. posted a modification of the Royal skin that addresses this issue on the Fbook Surge Synthesizer page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1965431700228470).

FWIW, Surge 1.8.1 said the Lato font wasn't installed and that installing Surge again should fix it...but it didn't. I downloaded it from https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Lato. Was that where I was supposed to get it? It isn't in any of the Surge folders as far as I could see.

I know it's been mentioned once or twice in the 133 pages of this thread, but it just seemed easier to grab it from Google's site. If I was supposed to get it from somewhere else, please let me know.

And this is for the installed version of Surge (on Win7/x64), not the "portable" (or whatever it was) version that wouldn't normally install the font. (I vaguely remember something about that being mentioned in the thread too.)

Thanks.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Yeah that's exact same font... You install it on system just as usual, should be just fine.

This font thing will become a non-issue once we are ported to JUCE...

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:53 pm ok. not sure how hard it is, but something you can switch on and switch off maybe. That may act as a refresher?
rsp
I think we have a better solution that doesn't add any options, just lays it out better.

Will be there in the next nightly.

Return to “Instruments”