Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nvm
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Anyone using Reason, might want to check 'codemeter' app running, which can also cause some slight cpu - leakage. Its supposed to be their copy - protection (which is ok for me). Yet also no reason to leave it running after the installation. https://www.wibu.com/us/products/codemeter.html
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

I'm not very excited for the $150 upgrade fee to Reason 12 to get absolutely nothing except high res graphics and a downgraded license. I suppose I would be excited if Reason Studios was paying me money or free stuff. Then I'd post on forums arguing with people who are getting shafted about the new DAW features, even though I knew 40% of users are using Reason as s plugin, and the fact that a plugin exists for the all people that don't care about the DAW is the reason for their success in 2020.

But since I'm not getting paid by Reason Studios I'm gonna trash Reason+ and the developer every single possible chance that I get because this is crap.

Please argue with me, Reason shills, I want this and every other thread about this on the internet to grow larger.

Wasn't expecting this development, but I know a lot of decent content is coming. :)

Added a thread to "Instruments" section because a large section of the userbase use Reason as an instrument instead of a DAW and might not even see the news in here.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upgrade from Reason 11 suite is only to Reason 12 standard. Hopefully Friktion is included.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:41 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm People keep saying we "get to keep what we have", like we have been graced with something.

I paid for it. Therefore, getting to keep something has nothing to do with what was implied when they released Suite.
You contradict yourself. If you know you paid for them and therefore will keep them, why are you spreading a rumour you won't? :dog:

Again, you were never promised Suite to be continued beyond 11, nor were you promised new free extra devices if it were. You're making up stuff that wasn't said and getting pissed about it :dog:
Show me where I said or implied that I would not get to keep anything. Go.

I don't care what I was or was not promised. They cut off the upgrade path to a future Suite. I don't need Reason as a DAW. I don't know why you cannot understand that.

This has nothing to do with promises. This is a bonehead move that shuts out current power users who have lots invested (for me literally thousands of dollars on upgrades) to keep on the path I started with them. I have no use to upgrade to a v12...unless it included more Racks. I am not going to a subscription based model where I don't get to keep what is included with it.

If you have read my posts you will see that from the get go I understand that I lose nothing. It is that my upgrade path is a downgrade that only includes an update to the DAW when my interests lied with new Racks that integrated into that updated DAW, and THAT as a package, without a subscription. Nope I wasn't promised it...I have just lived it for the last 20 years that I have been with them. And now that is gone. Why is that hard to get?

AND AGAIN I say I do not disagree with the subscription. Just don't jack with the direction that made me desire the product to begin with. THAT is what is...lemme say the word again: disappointing.

And all the words in the world, other than "SUITE IS BACK!" will not change my mind.
100% Reason Studios implied (although never explicitly stated yes or no) Suite would be an ongoing tier. They even called it Suite, just like the ongoing top tier of Ableton Live.

However users here and on the RT forum did kinda try and warn at the time that Suite was more like a bundle than a tier.

Suite can now go on the scrap heap along with Alihoopa, Ignition, Balance, Europa VST and Reason Compact. Maybe + will go there too in a few years time.

Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 pm Upgrade from Reason 11 suite is only to Reason 12 standard. Hopefully Friktion is included.
According to the moderator on today's Reason+ Livestream, no new modules will be provided to perpetual license holders through upgrades. The only way to get these is to pay for them or subscribe to them separately.
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

k-tronix wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:58 pm
Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 pm Upgrade from Reason 11 suite is only to Reason 12 standard. Hopefully Friktion is included.
According to the moderator on today's Reason+ Livestream, no new modules will be provided to perpetual license holders through upgrades. The only way to get these is to pay for them or subscribe to them separately.
So basically if I want to keep using my investment in RE's over the last umpteen years, I will have to upgrade my perpetual license but none of the new Reason RE's will ever be included?

Who didn't see this BS coming. First the helm is turned over to a young guy from the "mobile industry" & then a third party investment firm purchases them. Now they are going for the Adobe meets Splice sub model at a cost higher than most "sounds" sub plans.

Glad I just went back to Mac with the new M1 & Logic Pro.

Yes, I carefully phrased my question and the moderator directly responded to affirm that this is the case. I suspect that they'll have to offer bundles to entice us to upgrade. Even standard licenses had a few RE's included historically.

The longer-term users now have to buy everything separately and in addition to paid license upgrades (or go with the subscription model). From my perspective, there are no apparent value-added options going forward.

This is from Synthanatomy:
“However, every Reason user can take a deep breath. Reason Studios uses a bi-system. You can choose between a perpetual license or take the subscription train. RS doesn’t force customers to take out a subscription model like Adobe. That’s very good. Thus, Reason + is just a second business idea of the company and not a complete change. Don’t panic.”

k-tronix wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:11 pm Yes, I carefully phrased my question and the moderator directly responded to affirm that this is the case. I suspect that they'll have to offer bundles to entice us to upgrade. Even standard licenses had a few RE's included historically.

The longer-term users now have to buy everything separately and in addition to paid license upgrades (or go with the subscription model). From my perspective, there are no apparent value-added options going forward.
No new devices with DAW upgrades would be a good thing for old users as the upgrade would have to live or die on the strength of it's workflow and feature improvements.

zoidkirb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 pm
k-tronix wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:11 pm Yes, I carefully phrased my question and the moderator directly responded to affirm that this is the case. I suspect that they'll have to offer bundles to entice us to upgrade. Even standard licenses had a few RE's included historically.

No new devices with DAW upgrades would be a good thing for old users as the upgrade would have to live or die on the strength of it's workflow and feature improvements.
From RS's perspective, that logic works if the feature list of their DAW was already on the par or exceeding competing offerings (e.g., Ableton). This is obviously not true, and other DAWs continue to evolve while adding a lot of functionality. Live's forthcoming modules are compelling, along with workflow improvements to the core software.

As an existing user, I'm willing to upgrade only if the features added are compelling AND cheap. We have no indication about what the perpetual license upgrade pricing will be. Yet, the upgrades together with sound library and RE content was a compelling value-add that make the upgrade costs worthwhile. I just don't see that value-add now and many of the existing customers have the same perspective. It's easier to keep existing customers than to acquire new ones. This model is not sufficiently articulate enough as put out there in today's unpolished and, frankly, awkward livestream.

Historically, the feature "improvements" to the DAW itself have been relatively sparse. IIRC, the improvement for Reason 8 was the inclusion of a browser :(. I will likely pay for the improvement of Hi-DPI support (depending on the cost), but after that it will be hard to justify paying for upgrades to my license.

R11 had 5 sequencer improvements, more FX, a Player and a new rompler?
Plus the RRP.
An R12 that is ONLY new features (including HD update) I guess would be something most established users are into. Because how many more rack toys do you really need?
Last edited by zoidkirb on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”