Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't exactly left it but I'm not upgrading until MPE works for VST3 and AU plugins as well as VST2.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm I haven't exactly left it but I'm not upgrading until MPE works for VST3 and AU plugins as well as VST2.
I upgraded just for MPE and didn’t know the limitations. Dumb move. I don’t understand why they half-assed it.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

anxiousmofo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:04 am
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm I haven't exactly left it but I'm not upgrading until MPE works for VST3 and AU plugins as well as VST2.
I upgraded just for MPE and didn’t know the limitations. Dumb move. I don’t understand why they half-assed it.
Because that's S1, everything they added to S1 is half-as sed. That's why I left.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pmI haven't exactly left it but I'm not upgrading until MPE works for VST3 and AU plugins as well as VST2.
VST3 implementation in general seems to be a weak point. For example:
  • S1 doesn't receive MIDI CC from VST3 plugins, e.g. Reason Rack Plugin with an LFO inside to modulate a VST further in the chain;
  • S1 doesn't see internal audio chains of multi-band plugins like klioHearts' MultiPass or UA's Triad
Both features work just fine in Bitwig or Cubase (and only the 2nd works in Live, in v10.1 at least).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 am
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pmI haven't exactly left it but I'm not upgrading until MPE works for VST3 and AU plugins as well as VST2.
VST3 implementation in general seems to be a weak point. For example:
  • S1 doesn't receive MIDI CC from VST3 plugins, e.g. Reason Rack Plugin with an LFO inside to modulate a VST further in the chain;
  • S1 doesn't see internal audio chains of multi-band plugins like klioHearts' MultiPass or UA's Triad
Both features work just fine in Bitwig or Cubase (and only the 2nd works in Live, in v10.1 at least).
Yeah and the big problem, particularly with more modern MPE plugins like Equator 2 and Plasmonic, is these don't even come as VST2.

I recently moved to and some stuff is baffling to me. The midi editor will randomly show (greyed out) notes from clips that aren't selected. I only want to see the notes on the clip or track I've selected.

Selecting and moving midi notes is weird due to weird default behavior.

Not having inserts and sends in the inspector is a piss off. I rarely used the mixer view in Cubase except when starting a mix or when automating. I hate using the mixer view to deal with plugins, it's too small and I often have to scroll to find a specific insert effect if that channels has a bunch of insert plugins.

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:22 pm
Not having inserts and sends in the inspector is a piss off.
If you are talking about Studio One this is not true.
You can even copy inserts and sends from inspector to other tracks headers in the arrangement
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 16.00.21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plugin sandboxing like Bitwig would be such a welcome feature for Studio One. I've had 3 instances of plugins crashing Studio One in the last month. Drives me loco. Still not leaving Studio One, but ....
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 pm Plugin sandboxing like Bitwig would be such a welcome feature for Studio One. I've had 3 instances of plugins crashing Studio One in the last month. Drives me loco. Still not leaving Studio One, but ....
Sandboxing is a dual-edged sword to me. Yes, it was nice when I used DAWs with sandboxing and I daydream of it whenever a plugin version ends up less than stable, but every time I have to open them up again I'm reminded of just how much overhead/latency that eats up comparatively. If you make sure to set up the DAWs with/without it with identical settings otherwise, it's pretty clear to see it's a drag on overall performance.

ozinga wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:56 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:22 pm
Not having inserts and sends in the inspector is a piss off.
If you are talking about Studio One this is not true.
You can even copy inserts and sends from inspector to other tracks headers in the arrangement
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 16.00.21.png
This doesn't show up by default and when I first bought S1 I watched a video about the inspector that didn't show this. Thanks for showing me the way! Now I'm less grumpy about S1.

The midi editor behavior is still weird to me but maybe there's workarounds to my issues.

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:33 am

The midi editor behavior is still weird to me but maybe there's workarounds to my issues.
What's weird? Give us an example.

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:22 pmNot having inserts and sends in the inspector is a piss off. I rarely used the mixer view in Cubase except when starting a mix or when automating. I hate using the mixer view to deal with plugins, it's too small and I often have to scroll to find a specific insert effect if that channels has a bunch of insert plugins.
I am 100% the opposite - I hate having to have the inspector open all the time in Cubase so I can do basic things. In Studio One I have never had to use the inspector at all, not even once, which I greatly prefer. Just as in a real studio, my workflow has always been based around the mixer so I like to have the mixer window always there and I like to be able to do as much as possible from that window. I really love the way I can directly access the controls of the stock plugins from the mixer strip without having to open the FX window or inspector. It's absolutely brilliant!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have this new issue with S1 where as if I turn on my hardware after I start s1, IT JUST FREEZES and crashes S1v5 latest version.. not cool.. It never did this before..but now it's like clock work.. Any idea's on what to try? should I delete the pref's folder?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Yes, I am discovering more and more that S1 does NOT like it when you change your hardware configuration while it is running. The solution is to make sure everything is switched on before you launch it or close it first if you want to switch something on.
briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:33 amThe midi editor behavior is still weird to me but maybe there's workarounds to my issues.
Yeah, that does get a little tiresome sometimes. What you need to do is deselect all the clips, then double-click the clip you want to edit and that should get you back to just the one set of notes. It happens to me because I accidentally select a second clip when I mean to do something else but the arrangement window still has focus. Once it starts showing ghost notes, though, it's hard to stop it unless you do what I said.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:33 amThe midi editor behavior is still weird to me but maybe there's workarounds to my issues.
BONES wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:45 amWhat you need to do is deselect all the clips, then double-click the clip you want to edit and that should get you back to just the one set of notes. It happens to me because I accidentally select a second clip when I mean to do something else but the arrangement window still has focus. Once it starts showing ghost notes, though, it's hard to stop it unless you do what I said.
...or just use the visibility panel in the piano roll, which lets you select which midi tracks you see and which are available for editing.

(that thing in the upper-left corner)

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”