Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MuzikFreq wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 pm
When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
There are two sections, the upper one and the bottom one. If you hover your mouse above the clip vertically, you can see the mouse arrow changes from arrow to a plus. When in arrow mode, you can double click the clip so it appears in the editor.

Crossinger wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:00 pmInteresting, after 7 years struggling with Reason, the switch to Studio One was like gaining freedom. But I was a long-term user of Cubase and Logic before, so I guess I prefer the technical approach (since Cubase, Logic, and S1 are in their general structure very similar).
I came to S1 from Orion, via Cubase and I'm the same - to me it feels like the best of Orion with the new familiarity of Cubase. Sort of like a bunch of Cubase users got together and tried to work out how to make something with the familiarity of Cubase but without so many of the drawbacks you get from having been around for 25 years.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

MuzikFreq wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 pm The arrangement section is finicky when I want to duplicate something after have spent time in the editor and then it duplicates in the editor instead
When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
Try disabling this. It seems you're getting confused, because this feature makes a difference between whether you click on the top half of the clip (range selection) or bottom half of the clip (event selection):

Zrzut ekranu (136).png

EDIT: Oh, sorry. EnGee already addressed that :) :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:14 am
MuzikFreq wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 pm The arrangement section is finicky when I want to duplicate something after have spent time in the editor and then it duplicates in the editor instead
Try disabling this. It seems you're getting confused, because this feature makes a difference between whether you click on the top half of the clip (range selection) or bottom half of the clip (event selection):

Zrzut ekranu (136).png

EDIT: Oh, sorry. EnGee already addressed that :) :tu:
EnGee wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:57 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 pm
There are two sections, the upper one and the bottom one. If you hover your mouse above the clip vertically, you can see the mouse arrow changes from arrow to a plus. When in arrow mode, you can double click the clip so it appears in the editor.

omg life saver

@ antic304: No need to apologise. Actually you added something I didn't know (that marked with red) ;)

@ MusikFreq: There are two very valuable bars to show. One is the "Info View" (from the menu, View/Additional Views/Info View) and the other is the "Record Panel" (Also from the View menu). Those are very handy especially while learning S1. Here in the image below I'm pressing the "Alt" key and hovering the mouse on the end of the clip. It would stretch the events in this case not only making the clip longer (the mouse arrow doesn't show, but you can try it yourself). The Info View update dynamically whenever your mouse arrow hovering at. Also, if you press a modifier (like Ctrl, Shift, Alt), it changes and highlights the action you want to do.
The Record Panel is very useful for recording takes or recording over what you have ... etc. Read or watch tutorials about. It worth it really :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnGee wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:11 am @ antic304: No need to apologise. Actually you added something I didn't know (that marked with red) ;)

@ MusikFreq: There are two very valuable bars to show. One is the "Info View" (from the menu, View/Additional Views/Info View) and the other is the "Record Panel" (Also from the View menu). Those are very handy especially while learning S1. Here in the image below I'm pressing the "Alt" key and hovering the mouse on the end of the clip. It would stretch the events in this case not only making the clip longer (the mouse arrow doesn't show, but you can try it yourself). The Info View update dynamically whenever your mouse arrow hovering at. Also, if you press a modifier (like Ctrl, Shift, Alt), it changes and highlights the action you want to do.
The Record Panel is very useful for recording takes or recording over what you have ... etc. Read or watch tutorials about. It worth it really :)
Okay... This is actually becoming more and more interesting as I now see the option of quantized inputs and many other things now. thanks

MuzikFreq wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:53 pm Okay... This is actually becoming more and more interesting as I now see the option of quantized inputs and many other things now. thanks
That's a great benefit of threads like this one (there's one for every DAW by now).

Just post the things that piss you off. It's likely someone knows a workaround and we all learn :)
Music tech enthusiast

Logic Pro X is still my favorite but now I use S1 more.
I tranfer to S1 just because my mac computer is too old to run logic smoothly
I think S1 will be the future standard if presonus get more feature into it.
For now Presonus should make the MIDI Editing more powerful ^_^
And I'm the one who will not leave it. (ૢ˃ꌂ˂ૢ)

Why you left us Studio One?!

I would have like the chance to use Studio One to leave it, unfortunately , from the get go, it never bloody worked. So I gave up.

So I stuck with Cubase.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I haven't left it, but I'm not using it. It is still installed.
I'm waiting for a future update to see if they fix that bouncing bug when using a hardware. They have ironed the CPU problem before, and now it is better than Cubase in the CPU management. The bug is not important itself, but fixing it makes me feel confidence in using S1. Anyway, it might take time, however, I'm not selling my license because I really like its workflow and design, so I don't think I will give up any time soon :)

I still have it installed, but I've stopped using it. Not because it's a bad DAW or anything like that. It's a great DAW for music.

But in terms of audio post work it can't do the things that Nuendo or Pro Tools can. So, I'm going to sell it along with Reason. I'm keeping Ableton as it's a fantastic for sound design alone.

PS - I'm not a big fan of PT, Nuendo is a much more user-friendly and is better for sound design (imo).

I might leave it as its midi sucks balls (not in a good way).

But apart from that it looks great and I'm pretty fast in it. I was using Cubase before (until 5.5), hated it. Reaper is fugly, I can't use Live for mixing...

k

p.s.: Is it possible that S1 midi timing would improve if I changed from Focusrite Scarlett to RME Fireface? Its timing is definetly off (notes get recorded as rushed but I can't say how many ms ahead).

Waste of money buying a new interface when you could just tweak this. Unless you really want to buy an RME of course. Their drivers are supposed to be excellent and give very low latency.
studio one options.jpg

soulata wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 pm...its midi sucks balls (not in a good way).
Good you elaborated on that, because I was confused for a second there :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”