Any modern alternative to Shortcircuit?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any VST sample player/sampler plugin that is comparable to Shortcircuit and is modern?

In particular it has features that are very important to me:
- minimalistic single screen layout
- extensive mod matrix
- envelopes, LFOs and filters

I'd keep using it forever tbh, but there's this rather notable issue that gets in the way of the workflow - it was developed for much smaller resolutions that were popular at its time and has never been updated since. Everything on it looks small at 1080p, not to mention nigh unusable at 4K.

Alternatively I wander if there's anything/any hack that can scale old VST plugins so they become comfortable to use with modern resolutions?

It's not modern but if I remember Shortcircuit correctly, B.Serrano's Osiris XT is bigger and has the functions you are looking for, as well as the ability to layer two WAV files.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/osiris_xt_by_b_serrano

Check out Grace by OneSmallClue. Its free these days as is their Drum Sampler https://www.onesmallclue.com/index.html

12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Shortcircuit is now open source but there is no new version yet. It's worth waiting. :tu:

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/shortcircuit3

So the word is out now, I guess :) Let's see if KvR goes bonkers about this or not. :D

Yeah there's a loooooooot of work left to do, but hopefully something happens with it before this year ends!

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:48 pm So the word is out now, I guess :) Let's see if KvR goes bonkers about this or not. :D
ME:

But no, seriously, guys. It's a ton of work (and we also have a pretty huge Surge infrastructure overhaul at the moment, porting it to JUCE to make our lives easier in the long run). It might not happen this year. But we have rudeog (Stochas dev) hacking away on it in his free time, so baconpaul can focus on Surge XT (you've heard it here first, fam!).

Exciting times either way! I am cross-referencing both SC1 and SC2, it seems to me SC2 was never even brought to feature parity with SC1 (makes sense due to Bitwig happening etc.), so I think the rough plan is to base most things on SC1 workflow, adding good stuff from SC2 (we might be missing certain SC1 effects and/or filters since we simply don't have that code)... and improving other workflows that were quite painful in both SC1/2. For example, mapping zones is very slow to me in either SC, in many ways, so I will use my 10+ years of experience with Kontakt and lots of experience with Falcon to distill the essence of what makes them better in certain regards, and put it back into SC to make it even better overall. Don't worry, I know that speed of workflow is important to SC diehards. I respect that and I do understand what SC was trying to achieve. There are just lots of ways to improve on that goal. :)

Oh, it might also not be called SC3 in the end. We're kinda fond of matching it up with the upcoming Surge XT, so it would be Shortcircuit XT then, too.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, it's happening! Lots of work has already been put into it, but there is obviously still quite a lot of work to be done :)

Also, this is a message from baconpaul: "tell them to send devs and beer"! :lol:

That's great news. I really love to see Shortcircuit making a comeback. I still consider it feature & UX wise the best plugin for sample mangling I have used in 20 years of using computers for audio.

There are certainly a number of great things about SC's UX, but I think it can be improved in a number of ways, still. :)

Wow this is amazing news. I’ve always been interested in seeing short circuit get to this point. Following!

Holy shit, SC1 was an absolute beast, this is hopefully amazing news, SC2 never really jelled for me, SC1 was just right.
Duh

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”