VST3 to VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a VST3 plugin to a VST2 Plugin? My DAW does not support VST3 and There are more and more developers no longer supporting VST2
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

You can't convert them, but, there are plugins which can host VST3's.

Maybe you'll find something in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=346476

Which DAW are you using?

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:01 pm You can't convert them, but, there are plugins which can host VST3's.

Maybe you'll find something in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=346476

Which DAW are you using?
Thanks I'll check it out. I'm using Ableton Live 8 Suite

Here's another one (I think): https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Note that you'll always get a bit more CPU load when using a plugin which can host other plugins though, of course. Might be minimal, but, it's there.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if you could use Unify to load VST3 and then load it (Unify) as VST2 in your DAW?

From their FAQ
"Can I use Unify to load plug-ins my DAW won't support?
YES. Unify works as a bridge, allowing you to load plug-in types which your DAW itself may not support.
You can use Unify to load VST/VST3 plug-ins in Logic Pro X and GarageBand.
Provided your VST/VST3's are built for Mac
You can't load plug-ins built for Windows into a Mac host, or vice versa."

Or you can use Cakewalk (formerly Sonar) as its free and supports both formats.

Examigan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:10 pm Or you can use Cakewalk (formerly Sonar) as its free and supports both formats.
I wanted to propose that as well, actually, but, I thought that that might be too much of a stretch (learning a completely new DAW).

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:58 pm There are more and more developers no longer supporting VST2
I am curious - which ones?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:58 pm There are more and more developers no longer supporting VST2
AudioThing, Mellowmuse to name a few. I know there are more but cant remember.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Plus any new developers that come along, since you can't get a new VST2 license.

indeed.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

You can do this in either direction with Blue cat Patchwork.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

and DDMF bridgewize i believe

I released a vst3 to vst2 wrapper some years ago for Jeskola Buzz, here is a download link for the wrapper, works also with other vst2 hosts:

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell.zip

DarkStar wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Trust me there are quite a lot of developers that are only producing VST3 plugins. Maybe due to what has been mentioned about license. As I can't really afford to upgrade my DAW and don't particularly want to as I only use on my older laptop which I do not connect to internet with it's a bit off a bummer.

polac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 am I released a vst3 to vst2 wrapper some years ago for Jeskola Buzz, here is a download link for the wrapper, works also with other vst2 hosts:

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell.zip
Not really sure how to use that, are there any instructions on how to use.

Return to “Instruments”