KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@bones, but put in a thread that will prolly be deleted soon.
Dasheesh wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 pmk.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:05 pmThey will sell it around next new year for 29,99 and you get a 20,- voucher without minimum order... You have to wait, but get it even 5 bucks cheaper than I got it or 65 cheaper than BONES... I’d call that win-win...
Except that by the time you got it, I had already used it in more than a dozen songs. So that's maybe 5 bucks a song, which puts me well ahead in my book. Time is far more valuable than money. I was even happy to pay $99 for Vacuum Pro, rather than wait for it to go on sale again, even though it turned out I would only have had to wait a few weeks for it be back down to $9.
KrupaX wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:30 pmI’m sure I’ll live, this weekend’s messing about with it and the accompanying research led me to Vacuum Pro, which I really like, a bit less harsh and just as interesting sounding... also somehow I borked my laptop’s audio setup so the Kniforium demo now gives it terrible crackles and dropouts... been uninstalling and reconfiguring all day to little success, at least ive closed about sixty browsers tabs 🤣 (still didn’t help however)
Vac Pro is an absolute cracker! Knifonium is great, too, but it does suck the life out of your CPU, where Vac Pro is comparatively light on resources. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Vac Pro every time.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

it sounds like a cracker<

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 am Vac Pro is an absolute cracker! Knifonium is great, too, but it does suck the life out of your CPU, where Vac Pro is comparatively light on resources. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Vac Pro every time.
I just bought Knif, but so far it's much better at feedback and other tube noise than Vac Pro. That said, my opinion has been forever that you really don't need too many thick complex sounds in a song, so it's as important to have synths around that people always use adjectives like "thin" when describing. Not knocking Vac Pro, basically they compliment each other. Or more precisely why use Diva in Divine mode for a thin sine wave theremin type sound? I think I'm going to write something with the two just to mess around with this thought in mind.

I don't assess things that way, I assess them by their ability to make sounds I can use in my music. I wouldn't even know what "feedback and other tube noise" sounds like, much less which synth does it better.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Managed to snag this for $39.99 yesterday. Was on the fence about it…the YouTube demos are mostly pretty dull, and I remember not being all that impressed when I tried the demo, but I figured for that price (and based on bx_oberhausen being pretty solid) I'd give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. It's definitely big and beefy and full of character.

I don't find the CPU usage that unreasonable. Yeah, it chews up a fair bit if you enable polyphony or unison, but you're then running multiple instances of a pretty substantial monosynth.

Anyway, thumbs up.
Stormchild

I don't think I own another VSTi that uses anywhere near as much CPU as Knifonium. It easily gets up over 30% with a single instance playing a mono line. Even the RePros usually stay in the twenties.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:32 am I don't think I own another VSTi that uses anywhere near as much CPU as Knifonium. It easily gets up over 30% with a single instance playing a mono line. Even the RePros usually stay in the twenties.
Totally eats my CPU too.

This is a big downside for this synth. Having to choose between running multiple instances of say, Vacuum (maybe 10) or just one instance of Knifonium.

I guess the guys @ AirMT are just better at coding resource efficiency.

The B00 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am I guess the guys @ AirMT are just better at coding resource efficiency.
You can't really say that, unless Vacuum Pro is on the same level of detail/modelling as Knifonium is.

Oberhausen also takes a lot of CPU (probably the most CPU hungry I own). Actually, a bit too much for what it does. It doesn't look like they're very well optimized. Considering I rarely do more than a few voices with it, it's fine though.

Personally, I rather have a bit more CPU footprint than developers which compromise their synths too much (as long as it doesn't completely crush your CPU, of course). I won't name name names, but, there are synths where you can see quite a cut before 20 kHz, making the synths not sounding as pristine/crystal clear as others.

Mine opens at 100% with a white bar (about a quarter the size of the GUI) under the main GUI. If I hit the 'show fx' button and 'hide fx' again, the white bar disappears.

If I close the plugin and open it again, the white bar reappears. Etc...

I've written to support.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

As far as CPU hit goes, everybody has their priorities. For me, it doesn't matter. I record the part, add the FX chain, and then, when I decide that everything is good, I freeze the whole thing, synth, FX and all. CPU no longer becomes a problem. As long as I can load one instance of the synth without it bringing my CPU to its knees, I'm fine.

As computers are getting more powerful, plugins are starting to get more CPU hungry and I refuse to go out and buy yet another PC because of this rat race. Having come from the days when you put your part on tape and you either lived with it or re-recorded the part. I'm perfectly content working this way. As a result, I've recorded songs of late that would probably cripple most computers. I don't have that problem. My CPU meter, when the song is completed, hardly budges.

So Knifonium is perfectly fine for me. YMMV.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am
The B00 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am I guess the guys @ AirMT are just better at coding resource efficiency.
You can't really say that, unless Vacuum Pro is on the same level of detail/modelling as Knifonium is.

Oberhausen also takes a lot of CPU (probably the most CPU hungry I own). Actually, a bit too much for what it does. It doesn't look like they're very well optimized. Considering I rarely do more than a few voices with it, it's fine though.

Personally, I rather have a bit more CPU footprint than developers which compromise their synths too much (as long as it doesn't completely crush your CPU, of course). I won't name name names, but, there are synths where you can see quite a cut before 20 kHz, making the synths not sounding as pristine/crystal clear as others.
I sort get the modelling perspective - but, personally, I'd prefer a better overall general use outcome and experience.

If I want to make a song using only 1 instance of one synth (and that's it), with a particular sound, and that sound happens to be the the tube driven Knifonium sound, then sure I'll be sure use it, though in a limited way since I can't even use all of the presets without stuttering my system - I'd say that's more than a bit of CPU footprint problem; It's detracting from the experience & borderline unusable.

I'm to blame for not demoing it extensively within the context of an actual track. That's on me. So its a great sounding synth (from the sounds I've heard) - just a shame I can't use really use it until I get a more powerful machine.

I don't really know how accurate the level of detail/modelling is on the Vacuum Pro, I literally have no idea, but I do know that I can get good workable sounds out of it, run multiple instances and It's much more enjoyable user experience for me, personally.

I think we should bring the cpu consumption problem to their attention. It would be very nice if they would try cpu optimizing bx_oberhausen and Knifonium. Maybe they can implement a low cpu mode at least.

mi-os wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:21 pm I think we should bring the cpu consumption problem to their attention. It would be very nice if they would try cpu optimizing bx_oberhausen and Knifonium. Maybe they can implement a low cpu mode at least.
Yeah, that'd be great - part of the problem is the GUI I think - my CPU hit is much less once I've closed the GUI, about half. Though that's odd I reckon, because it's not like the GUI is doing any special animations or anything.

The B00 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:11 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am

I sort get the modelling perspective - but, personally, I'd prefer a better overall general use outcome and experience.
Fair enough.

I'd be happy if they did something about it too. Not sure if it will happen though (I rather doubt it).

Return to “Instruments”