Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

And the dev is a 'magician' who can make his stuff work on the (admittedly confusing due to change) current Mac landscape. Nice one TAL!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Version 1.3.3

Changing number of voices somethime not working fixed.
Linux VST3 plugin resizing bug fixed.
Improved Service Control (SC) UI.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:01 pm Version 1.3.3

Changing number of voices somethime not working fixed.
Linux VST3 plugin resizing bug fixed.
Improved Service Control (SC) UI.
And Patrick also (silently) fixed the issue I had with the env mod and pw mod 'steppy' parameters. J-8 is now my favorite analog synth emulation VST.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh that is fantastic news Yorrrr.
I am loving it, don't think it has replaced Repro as my favourite yet though.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:54 pm I am loving it, don't think it has replaced Repro as my favourite yet though.
The two are pretty neck and neck for me. Different vibes but both of just amazing quality. And the dual/layer/split modes give J-8 a nice leg up on RePro-5 for certain tasks. It's great that we're talking about Patrick's emulations in the same conversation as U-he from a sheer quality of the emulation perspective.

The dual layer/split feature, and the filter sound/behavior and overall Roland sound, is what set this apart for me, at least when comparing it to RePro-5. So, I guess I'd prefer a Jupiter 8 over a Prophet 5 as well. However, RePro as a whole (both 1 and 5) might be a more compelling product.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zvenx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:54 pm Oh that is fantastic news Yorrrr.
I am loving it, don't think it has replaced Repro as my favourite yet though.

rsp
I adore Repro for sure, but at the end of the day, I just really prefer the Roland filter sound over the Sequential filter sound -- especially when using (high) Resonance.

I do, however, much prefer the overall Repro-5 UI over J-8. Much quicker to work with. J-8 is wonderful, but appears rather 'overloaded' with content; it takes my eyes longer to track where things are, even with experience. Repro-5, otoh, has pretty much the nicest UI I've ever laid eyes on. True to the original, sharp, clean...love it.

I too prefer the Jupiter sound to the Sequential Circuits sound, and I think what gives Repro the edge for me is the UI as you mentioned and the FX that u-he added but clearly didn't come with the hardware. Plus being able to add Aftertouch etc.
rsp
sound sculptist

mholloway wrote:
I do, however, much prefer the overall Repro-5 UI over J-8. Much quicker to work with. J-8 is wonderful, but appears rather 'overloaded' with content; it takes my eyes longer to track where things are, even with experience. Repro-5, otoh, has pretty much the nicest UI I've ever laid eyes on. True to the original, sharp, clean...love it.
The reason the J-8’s UI is harder to read is because it got split and stacked, as opposed to the original hardware layout....which clearly represented the left to right signal flow....which is fine for a hardware layout, but not so convenient for a UI layout where height to width ratio becomes an issue. The TAL layout is an expedient compromise I can live with, but yeah, I have to agree that it does take longer to figure out where stuff is.
On a number of Macs

Hey all! First time poster here - actually the TAL J-8 and some other recent software developments pressed me to finally register and not just lurk.

As a bit of intro (first post and all), although my hardware experience with the Jupiter-8 is nil, I have owned other Roland analogs (Super Jupiter, Super JX, and still have my venerable Kiwi3P). I have generally, however, preferred the "American" synths - in particular Oberheim OB series (regrettably sold my OB-8 nearly 10 years ago and it remains my dream poly). Have also owned a Rev 3 Prophet as well, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the Obie to my tastes. Anyways, just a bit of background....

Firstly, what Patrick has done with the J-8 (and the U-no LX) is incredible, and right now the J-8 has probably stolen top spot from my venerable SonicProjects OP-X Pro II (which I desperately hope will be updated although it is still great, but that's another story). There is a "live" quality to these plugs that I can't really find elsewhere and it just makes you want to tweak and play and create. I know people talk about Obsession but, strangely, I just can't hear that Oberheim sound that I got from my OB-8.

I've been following nearly all of this thread, and awhile back there was some discussion about the voice triggering behaviour of the J-8 (which seems identical in the U-no as well?), where legato playing sometimes didn't quite properly trigger the envelope as the plugin, apparently as the hardware instruments do, doesn't cycle through the voices but will reuse the same voices until there is a demand for those upper voice cards (hopefully I'm recalling correctly and making myself clear?)

Again, it's amazing that the plugs emulate the hardware dead on, but I'm curious if others still had thoughts about this and whether having a switchable assign mode that does a straight rotation through each of the voices might be a possible future feature? The style of playing I developed with the Oberheim sort of relied on this constant rotation of the voices - for example, if you hit C3 8 times, it would have cycled through all 8 voice cards, not just re-triggering voice 1. This is particularly noticeable if you pan voices alternating left and right. The additional SC features and the Calibration settings already allow me to dig into Oberheim territory with the J-8 and take this plugin far beyond what even a Jupiter 8 can do, but I do miss that basic note rotation sometimes.

Although I have purchased Patrick's plugs (owned U-no for a couple years at least now), I've never connected with him and not sure if he does keep a listen on this thread or not but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else was still pondering this?

Cheers, and thanks again Patrick!

Gavin

Welcome
Do email Patrick he is one of the most responsive Developers I know.
rsp
sound sculptist

gmvstudio wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:13 pmI know people talk about Obsession but, strangely, I just can't hear that Oberheim sound that I got from my OB-8.
That's because OBsession doesn't emulate OB-8, it's an emulation of OB-Xa with added crossmod that OB-X had. :)

(IMHO OB-X is the best sounding one of the three.)

That's why we need more OB-8, OB-X, or 8-voice emus. :)

8-voice is the holy grail, really. But at that point you could just use 8 Arturia SEM Vs. Watch that CPU smoke. :D

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'll dig through and send a support email to Patrick for sure. Again, I don't want to change the way the J-8 responds, but if possible give the option of a straight rotation of voices for some patches.;)

I'll definitely save my detailed comments on the OB side of things for a post outside the J-8 topic, but having played 8 and Xa, I still prefer the OP-X Pro II to Obsession, even with the older tech and less cutting edge algorithms. There is an internal "slop" between voices as the old 8-Voice idea of 8 individual voices strapped together, imperfections and all, was always present in the Oberheim OB series - X, Xa and 8. OP-X Pro has built that slop in from the ground up, and the way Patrick has allowed access to some of that "slop" really makes the J-8 breathe in the same way.

The virtual synth world really has come a long way in the last few years!

Return to “Instruments”