KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ericj23 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 pm So I got an M1 Mac mini to replace my aged i7. Also got Knifonium but seem to have found an issue that is either Knifonium or Bitwig. Now, before anyone feels the need to point out that I am using Rosetta based software and that I should have waited until everything was working well can I just say I know. I am very happy with the current performance and it will only improve as M1 versions appear.

Anyway if I play an 8 note chord on Knifonium on Bitwig it uses a lot of CPU (30 -40% on the Bitwig meter). There are fairly frequent instantaneous jumps to 100% causing crackles. If I load the same thing, playing the same thing in Maschine no problem. I appreciate that this is probably a Bitwig problem but I thought it was mysterious enough to ask if any KVRians had any ideas how to reduce the crackles. I like Knifonium and would rather work with Bitwig.

I have already tried loading Knifonium in Machine in Bitwig, using the VST 2.4, and putting Maschine and Knifonium as separate processes in Bitwig. Still crackles.

Any help appreciated
Try Reaper and or Logic. I found that using certain ROSETTA synths in Logic worked better when running whole logic under Rosetta, while for others, it works better if I run Logic Native and only plugins are bridged via rosetta

Ploki wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:38 pm
ericj23 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 pm So I got an M1 Mac mini to replace my aged i7. Also got Knifonium but seem to have found an issue that is either Knifonium or Bitwig. Now, before anyone feels the need to point out that I am using Rosetta based software and that I should have waited until everything was working well can I just say I know. I am very happy with the current performance and it will only improve as M1 versions appear.

Anyway if I play an 8 note chord on Knifonium on Bitwig it uses a lot of CPU (30 -40% on the Bitwig meter). There are fairly frequent instantaneous jumps to 100% causing crackles. If I load the same thing, playing the same thing in Maschine no problem. I appreciate that this is probably a Bitwig problem but I thought it was mysterious enough to ask if any KVRians had any ideas how to reduce the crackles. I like Knifonium and would rather work with Bitwig.

I have already tried loading Knifonium in Machine in Bitwig, using the VST 2.4, and putting Maschine and Knifonium as separate processes in Bitwig. Still crackles.

Any help appreciated
Try Reaper and or Logic. I found that using certain ROSETTA synths in Logic worked better when running whole logic under Rosetta, while for others, it works better if I run Logic Native and only plugins are bridged via rosetta
I am trying to avoid Logic - I will at some point demo it, but I need to finish paying for the Mac. Reaper is a good shout though. I will see how I get on there
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

reaper is king atm, but it does have issues with vst3 from time to time. one of those instances when the kids saw it first and turned me on. it is constantly being worked on, and never seems to kill previous versions. been with it for two generations and will gladly throw money at it again when the time comes. use a supplemental like bidule or patchwork and the game is afoot. the EMENSE amount of options can be daunting, but luckily 75% of the settings will never need to be changed. occasionally you will need some young expert with a computer science degree to explain how to things work if you are older.

I get roughly 20-30% better cpu usage from Logic than Reaper when running equivalent ARM project tho

i imagine that is true, and would expect it ploki. mac cannot decide what direction it wants to go in, and have learned that constant change keeps people buying in. logic is the biggest bang for buck when you add in the incredible instruments they bought up. i can tell you from experience they will go back to intel after intel gets their new tech up and running. windows will be in flux while they transition to quantum processors. it will be another learning curve and evolution for everyone.

Why do you think they'll go back to intel?
Intel as it stands right now doesn't know what to do with itself. afaik 11th gen is still 14nm. That's what, half a decade of being stuck?

buddy intel has a quantum chip, and are asking themselves how to implement it. they are beginning to ask them selves the moral questions of what happens when AI can feel and out compute humans. google had a 72 qubit one operating that they described as "showing unpredictable signs of life." apple has historically gone back and forth between arm and intel. it's what they have always done.

btw, the M in the processor stands for mobile. it was developed for their ipad, and upgraded for their macbook, then upgraded again and propagated until the intel chip gets standardized.

I wouldn't exactly call PPC "Arm" but i guess.
If you mean in ~decade when (and if) intel goes quantum, if they don't sink before.
So if M in M1 stands for mobile, what does A stand for in "A14" that's used in their... Mobile devices? :)

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:50 pm it's here. your old code no longer works. https://twitter.com/intel/status/130952 ... 07939?s=20

Ploki wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm I wouldn't exactly call PPC "Arm" but i guess.
If you mean in ~decade when (and if) intel goes quantum, if they don't sink before.
So if M in M1 stands for mobile, what does A stand for in "A14" that's used in their... Mobile devices? :)

ask ibm about that one. g3 anybody?

I looked into it a bit in the meantime.
i mean. cool. but we're far from there. And who's to say apple won't simply license or buy competing tech? They've been doing that a lot recently

ploki, i like you a lot. i always have, i just feel
your aura over the web, but as someone that was alive before computers, and who's parents invented one of the first processors, if you are not expecting tech to sneak up on you and change your life in a heartbeat, and i mean a blink, you are in trouble.

you're not wrong :D
i suppose im letting my cognitive biases regarding this M1 purchase getting the best of me :lol:
and thanks for kind words

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm buddy intel has a quantum chip, and are asking themselves how to implement it. they are beginning to ask them selves the moral questions of what happens when AI can feel and out compute humans. google had a 72 qubit one operating that they described as "showing unpredictable signs of life." apple has historically gone back and forth between arm and intel. it's what they have always done.
Intel is not sitting on super advanced tech, while being outclassed at every turn by other companies right now. They aren't worrying about the morality of it. Apple has never used Arm on their computer line before now. Apple switched to Intel chips once, from Power PC, a RISC architecture like Arm is, that's the only similarity. The falsehoods and conjecture, why?

Quantum computing will come around, but in no way shape or form is anything you just said true at all.

Return to “Instruments”