Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking at the bottom of the page: https://www.reasonstudios.com/

There's a compare between Reason (buy) and Reason+ (subscribe). I wonder how to interpret that Reason+ has support but reason is limited to 12 months support if you buy? Another small step pushing people towards subscription?

It's all marketing and strategy .... 12 months for $399 or $20 x 12 months = $239 but with all the RE:s and monthly REfills as a bonus . Subscription may also make the software less appealing sold used . It's all strategy . As always it's aimed at new users . They don't make any money off used sale if and when companies go to subscription only is the real worry. I don't think that's working out for Avid ProTools too well ?

fedexnman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am They don't make any money off used sale if and when companies go to subscription only is the real worry.
Agreed, but still, if they keep price the same but reduce support customer pay the same as previously for less value. They previously kind of implied no change when buying reason. I interpret this as a change? Little steps...
I'm very close to calling it a day with Reason Studios. Just because I'm getting annoyed with them.
I have enough tools anyway...

I've never even used support and probably never will, rarely do with any vendor. But I imagine it should be a worry for those that tend to have that need.

Actually for all I know it might have been 12 months before, I might not have noticed. But their recent changes has made me much more aware of things like this. Time limited support when purchasing software as a private customer is a bit unusual though isn't it?

beltrom wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:09 am
Actually for all I know it might have been 12 months before, I might not have noticed. But their recent changes has made me much more aware of things like this. Time limited support when purchasing software as a private customer is a bit unusual though isn't it?
Not really. A lot of software companies sell yearly maintenance. Its nothing new. If you buy something like Sketch, or some developer tools you normally have some kind yearly maintenance fee you have to pay in-order to get support for the product even if purchased perpetually. So all in all you are basically always paying a sub of sorts even if you bought the software outright.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 pm So all in all you are basically always paying a sub of sorts even if you bought the software outright.
That's of course true. Companies need to make money...

It's the combo purchase and time limited support I haven't seen (or rather noticed) before. Purchase and still have to pay for support (either monthly or case by case) I have seen. Typically with a very short free support period in the beginning, but that's not really what it is here. 12 months takes it a significant portion of the way to next major release possibly. I can imagine that it's mostly a way to "cut off" support for earlier versions.

Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 amI voiced my opinion and sold my Reason Suite.
I want to do the same. But actually rather because I rarely, if at all use it.
If I sell Reason Suite my licenses for Friktion, Korg Polysix/Monopoly are gone right? :?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am I know that some people like subscriptions, but that's not the point of me disliking Reason+. The way they did it is. Removing stuff (suite, intro), making the Reason purchase page hard to find, not giving to the customers anything new (sorry but some generic soundpacks are hardly anything). "With Reason+ you can have the latest software version" is not a good tagline. "Reason+ gives you all the stuff made by Reason Studios" tagline from the Suite owners perspective was a bad joke. Making the subscription almost automatic on Reason page was a stupid thing. It's not that hard to program a confirmation page, is it?

I checked Presonus Sphere and think that it's the way to do these things. I voiced my opinion and sold my Reason Suite. Hopefully Reason Studios learns something from this and gives something to the user community that they want. We'll see.
Don't forget the most deceitful move of all which got lost in this shuffle -- Propellerhead purposely deleted all references of what was released in each version of Reason both on their site and on wikipedia. All so people who do "buy" a monthly subscription won't be able to see how little Propellerheads do over time.

Here's the last wayback you can find it: https://web.archive.org/web/20180717201 ... (software)

And what props did produce was a crap-shoot of usefulness, along with a hefty dose of long-term ignoring what a majority of users consistently requested -- things that might take a year from other companies -- props would wait half a decade or more. Still do, which is why it was scrubbed.

Its tough loving what Reason is and does, yet at the same time despising how they treat their customers. Reason Studios is a company you "put up with" as a means to an end, not one you admire or trust.
Have you tried Vital?

sQeetz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm If I sell Reason Suite my licenses for Friktion, Korg Polysix/Monopoly are gone right? :?
Are those part of Reason Suite? If you bought those Rack Extensions separately, then you should still be able to use them in Reason 11 Lite.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm
sQeetz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pmIf I sell Reason Suite my licenses for Friktion, Korg Polysix/Monopoly are gone right? :?
Are those part of Reason Suite? If you bought those Rack Extensions separately, then you should still be able to use them in Reason 11 Lite.
I bought them separately. Now I wish I had kept my free Lite version from PB... Gave it to my brother since I already had Suite :party:

sQeetz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm
Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 amI voiced my opinion and sold my Reason Suite.
If I sell Reason Suite my licenses for Friktion, Korg Polysix/Monopoly are gone right? :?
Reason+ was not the only reason for me either. My main daw is Live and I was just getting back to Reason. Too many vst's anyways. But Reason+ made me less interested to stay in the Reason path.

This move makes this old post almost prophetic
Coxy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:06 pm
telecharge wrote:I don't see how, considering they received significant investment earlier this year.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=482884
From a venture capitalist firm, in which Propellerhead now have to provide a tangible ROI on as well as likely other expenses like 'profesional asset management services' and interest payments each tick. If they were successful in what they've doing, why the need to attract additional money to the table from a VC? They should of built large cash reserves from their own operations over the last 20 odd years.

Majority buyout from a VC firm is not usually synonymous with the term beneficial to the end user.

Having said that they may look to "improve efficiencies" within the business which could net positive results if it (the PropHead Company) is outdated, bloated or slow in progress or process etc. Which in my opinion it is.

Make or break probably. In my opinion break. If they are still here in 5 years time in the same guise, honestly, I'd be very surprised.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=497018&p=6966085#p6966085

Psuper wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:48 pm Its tough loving what Reason is and does, yet at the same time despising how they treat their customers. Reason Studios is a company you "put up with" as a means to an end, not one you admire or trust.
You can have the best software on the planet and the best subscription model in existence, but none of it matters if the customers aren't happy with the company's decisions.

We live in a world where there are too many great choices for a quality DAW, so it's going to take more then just software and an easy to use club membership to convince most experienced and knowledgeable users to continue on with a company that just offers more of the same, year after year.

Subscription models don't allow for the accumulation of equity in the product or a sense of investment in terms of ownership. So the long term affects aren't quite as clear, but it's clear there will be some.

Why would you assume that? Friktion or 3rd party REs like Korg's are not part of Suite. They'll remain on your account and you'll be able to use them in whatever version of Reason you might have.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:15 pmSubscription models don't allow for the accumulation of equity in the product or a sense of investment in terms of ownership. So the long term affects aren't quite as clear, but it's clear there will be some.
I'm probably the last person to defend subs especially for DAWs or plugins, but isn't it possible people look at this differently?

I mean why we're making music anyway? Is it because we want to be able to open our project 10 years down the line, when living in woods with no Internet connection? Or is it for the thrill or creation and joy of sharing the final resulting track (audio, not the project) with others? I can easily imagine someone being super happy that they can - for $20 - borrow a whole "studio" filled with instruments, effects, samples & presets to realize their idea, bounce it and share it. They still OWN the music, can make money off of it if that's the point. And yf they ever need to come back to the project - and frankly that rarely even happens - it's just $20 away...

Obviously, I see the potential danger of Reason - or other DAWs - moving completely to sub models but until that happens I'm not gonna bother worrying about it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:42 am
Why would you assume that? Friktion or 3rd party REs like Korg's are not part of Suite. They'll remain on your account and you'll be able to use them in whatever version of Reason you might have.
I'm selling my license of Reason.
There was a suggestion here that I could still use my other REs with something like Reason Lite. But Reason Lite is nowhere to be found anymore.
Reason as rack plugin runs poorly on M1 Logic and I don't believe Propellerhead, excuse me, Reason Studio, is ever going to release a Reason Lite rack plugin update ever again.
So Friktion and the REs are gone for me :party: :?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”