Signalizer: Sidechaining update! Open-source & free audio visualization plugin (v. 0.4.3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mayae, you are admirable, and I love the scientific approach!
Great to see you active. Stay strong and healthy for a 100 years.

So, in terms of what's going on in mixing and plugin development,
with a scripting engine, a cross-track "masking" analysis might become feasible.
Because that's what many engineers want to get: an easy tool to visualize where sounds collide, because work has to go fast.
A drum bus, a guitar bus, a vocal bus, and now why does it sound boomy when played together, while solo-ing a bus seems to sound normal. That type of question, visualized quickly. Some numerical guess, like "this pattern creates a build-up of ~4dB around 200Hz. Find the 3 biggest maxima with such a conclusion of a build-up.

Some data exchange, and some correlation analysis, accumulated in a (perhaps walking) time window, and additionally dynamical with respect of transients.
For sake of CPU and GPU, all functionalities irrelevant to that particular analysis might get disabled during that process.
Neutron does it, but I can imagine there are very different approaches possible.
Using colors and 3D in tricky ways can yield great innovation about those masking issues.

I have a little idea, just guessing about the scientific work flow, that users might agree to do this, in a 3-bus example with 3 instances, we might enter the 3 mixing fader values (that the VST can't see) so the top instance can add up the 3 components in its own mix, which creates another viewpoint on that analysis. Then it has 3 stems to compare, plus a real sum, to judge how intense the problem actually is, because this requires the actual mixing volumes.
In another extension, it also could use a printed mix in another instance of the masking-analyzer, and run the correlations with that one as well, and color code the contributions of each bus to the total mix, per time and frequency. That's because on the stereo bus there would be further compression and EQ and whatnot, so the end result otherwise is not predictable for the analyzer. We might have a detail selector, like what is going on in subs, bass, low mid, hi mid, treble, air band. The analysis can optimize on that, and leave out the other stuff then.
This functionality might get re-used in some AI mixing scenario, as some developers are into that also (though probably for home users, like some kind of whatsapp filters for audio, and what have you, but there it becomes quite commercial.)

Hi,

I can't find information how to install this into Reaper on Windows.

I know that sounds nap newb.

I'm just dying to use it.

Plz assist.

TIA!

HansP wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pmGreat to see you active. Stay strong and healthy for a 100 years.
Thanks, and good health to you too. That's a long time, I'm not sure the earth is still around at that point :)
HansP wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pm...
You have some great ideas and correct in identifying that very subtle issues that can ruin a mix. Having a tool for visualising I agree is extremely intriguing. Although it is of course difficult to highlight something that is very perceptual / pseudoacoustic and genre-dependent.
bwalterbrewer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:26 pm Hi,

I can't find information how to install this into Reaper on Windows.

I know that sounds nap newb.

I'm just dying to use it.

Plz assist.

TIA!
No, don't worry about it! I do software development for a living and still spend an uncomfortable amount of my time figuring out how to install or run things :)

So for Windows you just want to download this thing which is the newest version found in the general downloads.

Just copy the entire "release" folder into VSTPlugins folder (I probably should have been using a more meaningful name there; feel free to rename it). Then Reaper should find it.

Let me know if it works out for you.

Hi Janus,
This looks like a great tool. I'm sorry if this issue has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I didn't see it.

I'm running El Capitan on my Mac with the latest version of Reaper. When I downloaded Signalizer and moved the AU and VST/3 plugins over from the 64 bit installation folder, the file icons don't appear as plugins -- only as "blank page" icons. When I open Reaper, it puts them on the "cannot scan plugin" list for the VST's, and crashes if I try to use the AU. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

jkh_audio wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:40 pm Hi Janus, ... the file icons don't appear as plugins -- only as "blank page" icons. When I open Reaper, it puts them on the "cannot scan plugin" list for the VST's, and crashes if I try to use the AU....
Thanks!
Hi! That sounds strange. You downloaded from here?

https://bitbucket.org/Mayae/signalizer/downloads/

It should be a .zip file, that you need to decompress. Inside, there should be a x64 folder, and inside there should be "Signalizer.component", "Signalizer.vst". Can you confirm it looks like that?

It should be a .zip file, that you need to decompress. Inside, there should be a x64 folder, and inside there should be "Signalizer.component", "Signalizer.vst". Can you confirm it looks like that?
Yes, that's where I downloaded the .zip file, and that's what it looked like. I moved the component and vst (and vst3) files over to their respective plugin folders on my computer from the x64 folder, and the computer doesn't seem to recognize them. Reaper puts the VST's on the "plugins that failed to scan" list, and it crashes if I try to use the one that says "AU: Signalizer (Lightbridge)" in the effects menu.

They should work ok with El Capitan, correct?

thanks!

jkh_audio wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 amYes, that's where I downloaded the .zip file, and that's what it looked like. I moved the component and vst (and vst3) files over to their respective plugin folders on my computer from the x64 folder, and the computer doesn't seem to recognize them. Reaper puts the VST's on the "plugins that failed to scan" list, and it crashes if I try to use the one that says "AU: Signalizer (Lightbridge)" in the effects menu.

They should work ok with El Capitan, correct?

thanks!
Bizarre, yes they really should. Have you enabled running programs from unverified developers (my binaries are not signed)? If not, you should be able to make an exception for Signalizer in the settings, I believe.

Mayae, I was wondering if you could share a roadmap for Signalizer?

This software is great. I wanted this Oscilloscope after searching for a few days. Every time I use it, it will display an error. I don’t know why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi, in Reaper, it does not resize, see screenshot. I can either use that small window or fullscreen. Anything that can be done?
Screenshot 2021-10-06 114142.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Another shout out to Janus on his fabulous creation Signalizer. I have this running in MuLab. Installed quickly and easily.

I installed this too after I saw a youtuber using it. Incredible tool. I have now have it next to SPAN on my master.

Naenyn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:21 am Mayae, I was wondering if you could share a roadmap for Signalizer?
Hey. I don't really have a formal roadmap, just an endless list of suggestions (thanks!) I vaguely sort by feasibility+requests / how sucky it is to implement.

I'm currently working on multichannel capabilities, including displaying synchronized signals from other signalizers as taps.

Next, probably the waterfall spectrogram visualization. Then, ideally, I manage to extract the functionality into textual shaders that can be modified by users. But there's a bit of a lack of shading language standards across the board I support.
Sinper wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 pm This software is great. I wanted this Oscilloscope after searching for a few days. Every time I use it, it will display an error. I don’t know why.
If you copied the whole folder that Signalizer needs, this most likely looks like a UTF bug somewhere. If it works while located in a path containing only ascii characters that would confirm it. I put it on my list to test.
tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:43 am Hi, in Reaper, it does not resize, see screenshot. I can either use that small window or fullscreen. Anything that can be done?
Are you dragging in Reapers window, or inside the signalizer viewport? Try the small section at the bottom right.
Bulbizarre wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:46 am I installed this too after I saw a youtuber using it. Incredible tool. I have now have it next to SPAN on my master.
xxancroft wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:40 pm Another shout out to Janus on his fabulous creation Signalizer. I have this running in MuLab. Installed quickly and easily.
Cheers!

Thank you for your reply, I have found a solution, the reason is that I put the VST in other places, and then it is normal when I put it on the C drive :phones: :phones: :phones:

Looking forward to your development of better works :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
2021-10-11 174755.jpg

Return to “Effects”