9112 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:27 am

mholloway wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 pm
AnX wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:15 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm
So the envelopes in Obsession may be spot on and just exhibit the same type of behavior as the hardware
let's not start throwing facts around eh....
Are you asserting that the envelopes are, in fact, the same as the hardware?
If so, can you back that up with any actual info from the developer, or someone who owns the hardware or...anything?

Or are you just being smug for sake of being smug, as usual?

let's put it this way, are you saying Rich just put some random envelopes in OBsession?

its a high level emulation, go figure

so as to not derail this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=547945&p=8036608#p8036608

KVRAF
8281 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:59 am

mholloway wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 pm
AnX wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:15 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm
So the envelopes in Obsession may be spot on and just exhibit the same type of behavior as the hardware
let's not start throwing facts around eh....
Are you asserting that the envelopes are, in fact, the same as the hardware?
If so, can you back that up with any actual info from the developer, or someone who owns the hardware or...anything?

Or are you just being smug for sake of being smug, as usual?
Well, different synth, but the Prophet developers confirmed in the Gearslutz thread that's exactly how the Prophet envelopes are designed to work. That's how Minimoog envelopes scale: 1-5 seconds covers a tiny range of decay. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the other American synth brand did the same thing. It would be easier for a developer to just scale the knob in a linear fashion versus doing something weird like that. So why do it? Makes sense to devote more of the knob to the most musically useful ranges.

KVRer
27 posts since 7 Apr, 2014

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 am

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:36 pm
I guess it's (a model of) a Roland synth after all, and those do tend to need some help. What kind of effect stacks helped change your mind? Asking mostly because I'm not yet convinced myself.
Multi-band compander using a highpass filter at 3-4 khz mixed with the original signal. I like True Iron with it, but that works well with alot of VSTI's. Other EQ and compressor plugins can aid as enhancements, ymmv.

Big thank you to Walter Cruz for the vintage factory patch set. These more than any of the other offerings, remind me of the 12-bit JP-8 I owned 11 years ago. Brought back a few nice memories. I'd say this software is at least 60% authentic. For the price, that's a fantastic bargain. Great commendation and honors to Togu Audio Line for their efforts and experience developing this kind of software. Looking forward to further advancements of this and really all analogue emulations!

KVRist
293 posts since 7 Sep, 2012

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 am

tal j-8 sounds great without any additional processing which is how I judge any soft synth or actually any musical instrument.

KVRian
1224 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Colombia

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am

Yes, J-8 sounds glorious. No need for anything extra.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

10071 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:01 pm

zwhita wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 am
...... I'd say this software is at least 60% authentic....
Tough person to please :)
For sure 60% should be easy a/b comparison test.
rsp
sound sculptist

KVRist
43 posts since 24 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:42 pm

It's hilarious just how similar synth modeling is to guitar amp modeling in terms of seeing certain responses from some users.

KVRAF
1667 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:37 pm

nirm123 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 am
tal j-8 sounds great without any additional processing which is how I judge any soft synth or actually any musical instrument.
Totally agree. I keep being amazed over and over again at how rich this synth sounds before I even turn on the delay or chorus.

This may not be a popular opinion to voice here -- but I can't even make Repro-5 work that way. It always sounds brittle and a bit harsh until I add chorus or delay or verb. I genuinely just do not like the 'sound' of the raw Repro-5 / Prophet, but once paired with FX, it can sound glorious. Try making a sustaining pad sound on the Repro-5, with no FX. Even with lots of subtle pitch or PW modulation, it still sounds so dang 'raw'. It may very well sound 'analog' and 'authentic' -- I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying, that raw sound isn't very pleasant to my ears, and doesn't sound 'usable' until I've added some FX. Surely there's good reason why U-He felt compelled to add such an extensive bank of FX to the synth.....

So what really gets me about TAL-8 is that even before the FX, it already sounds useful, usable, and pleasant. I was not expecting that.

As for the guy who says it's only 60% authentic. Does he own a Jupiter-8, or is he just pulling that percentage straight from his a** ? I have a guess....

-M
https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp.com/ - Noir-themed Dark Jazz
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

KVRist
270 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm

What on Mars does this number mean at all? Is it 6 of 10 people would say it's Jupiter? Or the model sounds like the original with filter closed 40% more? Or sounds like bigger half of the original cut in 60/40 halves? I summon science.
Weapons of choice (subject to change): Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, Reaper

KVRAF
8281 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:37 pm
As for the guy who says it's only 60% authentic. Does he own a Jupiter-8, or is he just pulling that percentage straight from his a** ? I have a guess....
He said he owned one 11 years ago. I suspect if he still did it might be closer than “60%” but memory is a funny thing like that.

KVRer
27 posts since 7 Apr, 2014

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Dencheg wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm
What on Mars does this number mean at all?
Scientific analysis has no credible domain in my assessment, as surely you have guessed, but I appreciate you covertly implying that I am full of sh!t. Therefore it deserves an explanation. I take it to mean 6 out of 10 sounds I either called up from presets or dialed in myself sounded convincingly like my memory of the synth, which I sold in 2010 because I got bored of it and replaced with Komplete 7. Indeed memory is a funny thing. Boredom is precarious. Nostalgia is the first sign of senility.

And no I won't do any a/b comparisons. I'm too busy going through thousands of dollars worth of sample libraries I haven't used yet.
Last edited by zwhita on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
21411 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:01 pm

Aural memory is not really a perfect thing either :)

KVRian

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:14 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:37 pm
nirm123 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 am
Totally agree. I keep being amazed over and over again at how rich this synth sounds before I even turn on the delay or chorus.

This may not be a popular opinion to voice here -- but I can't even make Repro-5 work that way. It always sounds brittle and a bit harsh until I add chorus or delay or verb. I genuinely just do not like the 'sound' of the raw Repro-5 / Prophet, but once paired with FX, it can sound glorious. Try making a sustaining pad sound on the Repro-5, with no FX. Even with lots of subtle pitch or PW modulation, it still sounds so dang 'raw'. It may very well sound 'analog' and 'authentic' -- I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying, that raw sound isn't very pleasant to my ears, and doesn't sound 'usable' until I've added some FX. Surely there's good reason why U-He felt compelled to add such an extensive bank of FX to the synth.....

So what really gets me about TAL-8 is that even before the FX, it already sounds useful, usable, and pleasant. I was not expecting that.

-M
I fully agree. This sounds so rich, full and gorgeous from the start. And to me, it's just the same with U-No-LX. RePro still my next favorite, but these 2 from TAL (especially J-8) have climbed to the top in the analog emulation realm.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
477 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:58 pm

zwhita wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:45 pm
Dencheg wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm
What on Mars does this number mean at all?
Scientific analysis has no credible domain in my assessment, as surely you have guessed, but I appreciate you covertly implying that I am full of sh!t. Therefore it deserves an explanation. I take it to mean 6 out of 10 sounds I either called up from presets or dialed in myself sounded convincingly like my memory of the synth, which I sold in 2010 because I got bored of it and replaced with Komplete 7. Indeed memory is a funny thing. Boredom is precarious. Nostalgia is the first sign of senility.

And no I won't do any a/b comparisons. I'm too busy going through thousands of dollars worth of sample libraries I haven't used yet.
You sold a JP-8 in 2010 and replaced it with Komplete 7? Thats some pretty serious lack of good judgement. Yeah you're definitely full of shit. All kidding aside I find it highly dubious that your memory of the sound of that instrument from 11 years ago is enough to judge whether this plugin is accurate or not. The developer has an instrument at hand to compare with and you're telling us your memory from 11 years ago is better? Give me a break.

KVRian

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Yep.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”