Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shiek927 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:51 pm This isn't really a feature suggestion so much as just as theory on how I think Zebra3 will fall in terms of sound-quality versus CPU intensity. I think it's gonna be in the middle and be better-sounding than Hive and Bazille, but not as much as Diva and Repro.
The sound quality of Bazille is not less than Diva and RePro. It just isn't an analog emulation. Bazille is amazing sounding and I only wish Z3 could be as good.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 am
Shiek927 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:51 pm This isn't really a feature suggestion so much as just as theory on how I think Zebra3 will fall in terms of sound-quality versus CPU intensity. I think it's gonna be in the middle and be better-sounding than Hive and Bazille, but not as much as Diva and Repro.
The sound quality of Bazille is not less than Diva and RePro. It just isn't an analog emulation. Bazille is amazing sounding and I only wish Z3 could be as good.
I agree. When it comes to HQ synths this is very subjective.

Personally for me Hive is the best sounding uhe synths. Or at least most universally used. Not to say others do not sound great, they do just in their own way. Taste is a taste.

accessdune3 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:19 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 am
I agree. When it comes to HQ synths this is very subjective.

Personally for me Hive is the best sounding uhe synths. Or at least most universally used. Not to say others do not sound great, they do just in their own way. Taste is a taste.
Same for me. RePro, Diva and Zebra/HZ *aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just really like Hive's sound and excellent workflow, especially with the new Izmo skin.
Always Read the Manual!

Why would Z3 not sound better than Repro ? It'll sound different obviously, but I bet that not having the constraint to imitate synth X or Y is incredibly liberating. Add all the knowledge acumulated from coding Repro, Bazille, H2 etc... and we could have a synth that sound absolutely fantastic in its own right.
I for one am drooling already trying to imagine how even the simplest patches will sound with Z3.
Well, 'better' is super subjective. I'm just trying to imagine where Zebra3 will fall in terms of how "realistic" it sounds. It's without question that it will sound good for sure :oops:
You know, I wasn't quite sure how to rank Bazille haha. It definitely sounds more analog than Hive, but it's a toughie if it's more realistic than Diva or Repro. I'm just assuming, because Zebra will likely require the most CPU consumption because of the high number of modules, we're likely to get a really killer sound that dwarfs Bazille since it will be more architecturally complicated..

..or maybe not? I suppose it's splitting hairs. I guess we'll see, but you're probably right that it will sound at least as good as Bazille.

Shiek927 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pmWell, 'better' is super subjective. I'm just trying to imagine where Zebra3 will fall in terms of how "realistic" it sounds. It's without question that it will sound good for sure :oops:
Realistic to what?

For making plucked acoustic strings, Hive 2.1 (with new filters) is already considerably more realistic than Diva or RePro

If you want a realistic emulation of the Prophet 5, then RePro is it.

Zebra 3 is gonna be amazing!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:47 pm Zebra 3 is gonna be amazing!
I sure hope so, I'm sure u-he will be very happy that you've volunteered to be the fall guy. "We never said it would be amazing, that was some guy in the forum".

At this point the only Zebra3 feature I really want is "available" :D
Always Read the Manual!

as long as zebra 3 updates the interface and workflow to be a bit more 2021 (which it almost certainly will given how good hive+repro are in that regard with drag and drop modulation targeting, in matrix scaling and stuff, etc) and isn't actively worse than Zebra 2 it will be world class... Because Z2 is already world class just not quite as up to date as u-he's other synths.

Realistic to what?

For making plucked acoustic strings, Hive 2.1 (with new filters) is already considerably more realistic than Diva or RePro
Those comb filters are good, for sure!
I sure hope so, I'm sure u-he will be very happy that you've volunteered to be the fall guy. "We never said it would be amazing, that was some guy in the forum".

For sure! :D

I searched this thread for it but no one really asked for multiple arpeggiators yet. Would be nice to have at least 4 of them, one per lane. Each capable of a different time signature and triggering notes, modulation or just values.

Cepheus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm I searched this thread for it but no one really asked for multiple arpeggiators yet. Would be nice to have at least 4 of them, one per lane. Each capable of a different time signature and triggering notes, modulation or just values.
This has been suggested in different ways. The issue is the concept of voices doesn’t align with the concept of lanes. Lanes can cross inside a voice, and even more so with the ideas we have for Z3. There’s no way we can create multitimbrality on Grid-level.

However, as you can see with Hive, we have picked up concepts from the modular world where we added scale based transposition of individual modules or pitch parameters.

Hi Urs,

I really like the old "Rev" fx in Zebra 2. Actually the modulation of it seems to me quite similar sounding to what Valhalla's Supermassive delay/reverb does. It nicely adds some kind of "analog pad detuning", spreading because stereo detuning, and so on.

But sometimes the detuning is quickly too strong. I guess this is because the modulation currently uses a sine curve, so the time span the detune is strong is longer than the time span it is even. Which leads to a "very detuned" impression. So I have the following two suggestions to modify "rev" slightly, and yet still make it downwards compatible:

- An option to switch from sine to triangle curve, or even better a knob for "modulation curve amount", which smoothly cross-fades from sine to the opposite, pretty spiky shape. So a knob which let you set the focus on even or detuned impression.

- The damping also being a highpass filter for the wet signal. So the middle position would be the current zero position, and anything lower than middle would result in highpassing. Very often I miss a highpass for this reverb. I think the "nurev" or Hive one has a nice solution for this. Of course I can use a post filter here, but maybe a fitting solution within the reverb would sound better.

Thanks for consideration.

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:15 pm This has been suggested in different ways. The issue is the concept of voices doesn’t align with the concept of lanes. Lanes can cross inside a voice, and even more so with the ideas we have for Z3. There’s no way we can create multitimbrality on Grid-level.

However, as you can see with Hive, we have picked up concepts from the modular world where we added scale based transposition of individual modules or pitch parameters.
What about the "morpheable" step sequencer from Bazille or a way to morph between MSEGs like we have with oscillator waves?

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:15 pm However, as you can see with Hive, we have picked up concepts from the modular world where we added scale based transposition of individual modules or pitch parameters.
Just Z2's modulators plus hive's matrix + in-scale transpose alone would make Z3 a beast before you even touch any of the audio modules...

PieBerger wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am

Considering how Zebra 2 is amazing it's a fair assumption that Zebra 3 will be even more amazing. Seriously i don't think U-he needs a "fall guy".
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

PieBerger wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am

There will be no need for a fall guy cause Zebra 3 is gonna be amazing!! :tu:

Return to “u-he”