Tone2 Warlock (synthesizer) - available now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Warlock

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:00 pm
Is the perceived lack of AU just temporary, for the early access version, or is there really not going to be an AU compatible version?
I already answered this question in this thread. Here is what I wrote:
Because Apple introduced M1 chips and I am not able to create a stable AudioUnit for these machines. It is currently impossible to find the source of the problem. AUval (a tool provided by Apple) can not be debugged. Neither by myself nor by Steinberg.
Reference:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/auv2-wra ... g/693452/6
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/unable-t ... val/693455
Will there be an AU for Intel Macs?

Can someone explain how the bank management works in practice because I'm finding it hard to get my head around this 'slots' thing (reminds me of old hardware synths) but I'm wondering does it really matter in real world use? The bottom line is can you create a bank of patches and store it somewhere on your hard drive then reload it or share with others and they can load it? I'm not bothered really about whether it can be 'autoloaded' as I'm not sure what that actually means anyway, not do I really care if it can also be stored internally with the synth in a custom 'slot' because I could see myself ending up with many more than 3 custom or third party banks if I really got into it. Although what does matter to me is host recall of patches within projects, so I would certainly like to be clear about whether that is possible? (I assume so but good to check).

Because of technical problems with the VST 3.7 SDK I currently can not guarantee that there will be an AU version for Intel or ARM.
System requirements

PC: Windows 7, 8, 10 (64 bit)
Supported formats: VST 2.4 (64 bit), VST 3.7 (64 bit), Standalone

Mac: MacOS 10.11 or higher, MacOS 11; Intel CPU or Apple Silicon (native support)
Supported formats: VST 3.7 (64 bit), not compatible with Logic

User-friendly copy-protection: No cloud, no dongle, no need to be online

You can load an infinite number of soundbanks by clicking FILE->load bank (*.t2b)
The current version can auto-load up to 3 soundbanks. This might be raised in the future. It depends on what the customers will request.

FILE

The file-menu stores and saves patches. A single patch is a fxp file. A sound-bank consists of 128 patches and is a t2b file.
All patches that come with warlock are built-in within the vst3/dll file. They are no separate files on your harddisc.

Loads a single patch (.fxp).
Loads a sound-bank with 128 patches (.t2b).
Saves a single patch (.fxp),
Saves a sound-bank with 128 patches (.t2b).
Copy the current patch
Paste a previously copied patch to the current slot

Hint: If you want to assemble your own sound-bank you can load several single patches at once. When you hold down the shift key when the file-dialog for fxp loading is opened, you can also select several files. Warlock will now load all selected fxp files.

Hint: You can automatically load your own sound-bank to Warlock on startup. Place UserA.t2b to "Documents\Tone2\Warlock\" (on PC) or "/Library/Application Support/Tone2/Warlock/" (on Mac) . When you select UserA as a sound-bank in Warlock your own one will be loaded.

Hint: It is possible to rename a patch. First use 'Save patch (.fxp) to save it to your harddisc. Then rename the file with the explorer/finder. Finally import it with 'Load patch (.fxp)' again.

https://www.tone2.com/warlock_help.html

Now that I play with it more, I agree it goes VCO -> VCF -> VCA -> drive. (But I do think it sounds good, so... whatever?)

I can tell the regular VCA envelope is post-filter because it will silence ringing resonance. You can assign the modulation envelope to oscillator volume instead (though you have to set a minimum level or it'll just bypass the oscillator) and hear a difference.

And you can tell the drive is after the VCA (which I always agreed with anyway) by driving a sine but keeping the sustain level low.

In modular, when I use a VCF at all (and don't have it oscillating) I tend to put it last, or completely skip a VCA and use the filter as an LPG. And given that my two non-modular hardware synths are paraphonic, the (multiple, digital) VCAs absolutely do come before the (single, analog) VCF, and I'm just used to thinking that way.

The routing and sound is different from the other Tone2 synths. In Warlock it is (per voice):
VCO -> VCF -> VCA -> drive

So in theory the 'DRIVE' knob should be part of the volume section in the GUI. But there was no more space.

There is also a second distortion 'RECTIFY' in the FX section. This one processes the sum of all voices.

Almost all (fixed architecure ) synths are vco--vcf--vca
I told you ( and most of the time I am right )
It's typical kvr audio , you make a remark about a certain feauture and you get flammed , then they realise you were right from the start .
My ignore list of 'noob people to no debat with 'is getting longer and longer
:)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 pm Because of technical problems with the VST 3.7 SDK I currently can not guarantee that there will be an AU version for Intel or ARM.
System requirements

PC: Windows 7, 8, 10 (64 bit)
Supported formats: VST 2.4 (64 bit), VST 3.7 (64 bit), Standalone

Mac: MacOS 10.11 or higher, MacOS 11; Intel CPU or Apple Silicon (native support)
Supported formats: VST 3.7 (64 bit), not compatible with Logic

User-friendly copy-protection: No cloud, no dongle, no need to be online

You can load an infinite number of soundbanks by clicking FILE->load bank (*.t2b)
The current version can auto-load up to 3 soundbanks. This might be raised in the future. It depends on what the customers will request.

FILE

The file-menu stores and saves patches. A single patch is a fxp file. A sound-bank consists of 128 patches and is a t2b file.
All patches that come with warlock are built-in within the vst3/dll file. They are no separate files on your harddisc.

Loads a single patch (.fxp).
Loads a sound-bank with 128 patches (.t2b).
Saves a single patch (.fxp),
Saves a sound-bank with 128 patches (.t2b).
Copy the current patch
Paste a previously copied patch to the current slot

Hint: If you want to assemble your own sound-bank you can load several single patches at once. When you hold down the shift key when the file-dialog for fxp loading is opened, you can also select several files. Warlock will now load all selected fxp files.

Hint: You can automatically load your own sound-bank to Warlock on startup. Place UserA.t2b to "Documents\Tone2\Warlock\" (on PC) or "/Library/Application Support/Tone2/Warlock/" (on Mac) . When you select UserA as a sound-bank in Warlock your own one will be loaded.

Hint: It is possible to rename a patch. First use 'Save patch (.fxp) to save it to your harddisc. Then rename the file with the explorer/finder. Finally import it with 'Load patch (.fxp)' again.

https://www.tone2.com/warlock_help.html
'infinite number of soundbanks by clicking FILE->load bank (*.t2b)' - thanks that's perfect - all that was missing really from Firebird.

Pity about the AU though...but not a deal breaker

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:34 pm Pity about the AU though...but not a deal breaker
well, it is for logic users. so i will continue using the AUs from fabfilter, etc... companies that are supporting intel and arm.

this is disappointing, and am going to phase out icarus2 from my setup... in anticipation of a full move to arm over the next few years, and, apparently, no support from tone2. so it goes.

<quietly exits the warlock thread>

Markus isn't a magician, you know.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

fisherKing wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:39 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:34 pm Pity about the AU though...but not a deal breaker
well, it is for logic users. so i will continue using the AUs from fabfilter, etc... companies that are supporting intel and arm.
I know, I just meant for me personally - while I am a Logic user it is not exclusively and not the host I rely on, as some may (especially while I'm stuck on Mohave)

revvy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:54 pm Markus isn't a magician, you know.
i guess i should have said 'prepares to quietly exit the thread' :D

if many developers have already created intel/arm AUs, then... it must be possible. markus is, in my experience, good people... and i know he's not a magician. he's a technician. and, as other developers have shown, this is completely do-able. so am just disappointed about it, but i'll live, and life will go on. and all will be well (or well enough).

<quietly exits the warlock thread>

I was so sure that this wasn't the case... and I wasn't disappointed.

rasmusklump wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 pm <quietly exits the warlock thread>

I was so sure that this wasn't the case... and I wasn't disappointed.
glad i did not disappoint you :tu:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm My ignore list of 'noob people to no debat with 'is getting longer and longer
:)
My list of "geeks who deserve to be ignored" because they would rather use their time to find any tiny perceived flaw in a synth than actually use that synth is getting longer and longer. :)

Me: I only paid $69 dollars for Warlock and it's capable of making some great sounds. I'm going to enjoy it for what it is rather than focus on what it isn't.

Geeks: Look at me Look at me !!! I found a tiny perceived flaw in a synth and now I'm going argue ad nauseam and make screenshots to prove just what a geek I am.... :hyper:

Once again we see where some people only talk about synths while some people actually use them.

So to that end I'm going to go enjoy Warlock some more...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

[EDIT] you know what, bickering on KvR is completely not worth it, and I should know never to bother revealing hidden posts from people that I know have a hard time remaining civil. So that's at least two mistakes I've made in this thread.

Life goes on.
Last edited by foosnark on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”