Gforce Software, something new is on its way...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oberheim OB-E

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm This plugin was built in JUCE? Then it's even less understandable that there is no Windows version...
I don't know if it is or isn't.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm This plugin was built in JUCE? Then it's even less understandable that there is no Windows version...
Other than the totally unsubstantiated selling to Apple rumour :lol: I am sure the developer wouldn't cut off half of his customer base for no good reason...

So many great VST options these days it really doesn't matter, but people tend to want what they can't have, so pitchforks ready!
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm Although I too would need a PC version before I buy it, I can't pretend it isn't enjoyable to watch the PC people bitch when things come only on PC and they go on and on and on, or complain about why don't some developers just drop mac support.

rsp
Can't deny that this small feeling of revenge feels good.

Well, back to OB-E, from the manual:

OB-E Manual wrote: "OB-E INTERFACE RESIZE TAB
Clicking on the tab at the top-left of the Upper Module exposes a numerical display with which you can choose a percentage size for your OB-E. To select the value, click and hold on the numerical display, then move the mouse up or down. Moving upwards increases the percentage value and once a size is selected, close the OB-E interface and then reopen it. The newly opened interface will take on the previously selected value."
Ok, this feels bad.
Last edited by waltercruz on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yep it's definitely not JUCE-based if they did GUI rescaling like that.

Afaik g-force has never used the juce framework
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Sure, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have started using it. In fact, it would have been a great idea to start using it.

I was really excited about this (and it's been a while for a soft synth), so I'm dissapointed. If GForce had been up-front about it, I'd have been dissapointed. Now it feels almost like a bait-and-switch. MAC-only needs to be front and center, and the "gauge the market" crap? Not sure if the majority of the market would be interested in your gear?

Sinevibes is one of my favorite MAC-only companies back from the MAC day (at least I get to enjoy their work on my Korg and Dreadbox Typhon!). But they're not cagey about it.

I try hard not to b*tch about developers (I'm a software developer at a small company), but IMHO this was an epic PR fail. Went from "Best Ad with a Twist Ending" to "Worst Burying of the Lede".

waltercruz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm ..........
OB-E Manual wrote: "OB-E INTERFACE RESIZE TAB
Clicking on the tab at the top-left of the Upper Module exposes a numerical display with which you can choose a percentage size for your OB-E. To select the value, click and hold on the numerical display, then move the mouse up or down. Moving upwards increases the percentage value and once a size is selected, close the OB-E interface and then reopen it. The newly opened interface will take on the previously selected value."
Ok, this feels bad.
Sounds great (as to be expected), but the GUI is so fiddly including what you mention there.

rsp
sound sculptist

GF should have been transparent; poor show. Also the pricing is a bit keen without promo code and +VAT.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm Sure, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have started using it. In fact, it would have been a great idea to start using it.
They're intern posting specifically calls out Juce so it looks like they want to start using it...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.gforces ... ftware.pdf

the second new product is linux only...

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm
I don't know if it is or isn't.
Got confirmed by GForce support, it's not JUCE-based.

I guess this means you can throw that coupon in the bin (unless there's something else one wants from them one didn't buy yet) because there's no chance we'll see a Windows version (if they commit to it) in at least half a year...
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:34 pmThey're intern posting specifically calls out Juce so it looks like they want to start using it...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.gforces ... ftware.pdf
It's unfathomable they spent all this time to develop OB-E and not even consider JUCE as a framework to take care of things. Just a complete trainwreck.

What I don't get is the "We are, however, monitoring if there is interest for a PC version" comment... Wouldn't you do that BEFORE development? I'm not in the software engineering world, but in my business you don't ask a fundamental development question like that afterwards - you poll/survey/research BEFORE you start to know whether the effort/expense is worth it or not...

Weird twist... I saw the "macOS only" on the KVR announcement title and thought it must be a mistake... Two very weird Gforce twists in less than a week... disappointing, but there's more than enough other cool stuff that I already have as I think about it...

srcodling wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 pm What I don't get is the "We are, however, monitoring if there is interest for a PC version" comment... Wouldn't you do that BEFORE development? I'm not in the software engineering world, but in my business you don't ask a fundamental development question like that afterwards - you poll/survey/research BEFORE you start to know whether the effort/expense is worth it or not...
True, but in this case, what does it even mean to "monitor if there's interest" from literally over half of your potential customers? Or is there something about the Oberheim 8-voice that lead them to think PC users would not be interested? :dog:

If the Obsession guys are smart they'll have a PC version sale starting today.

Re the email, I just replied saying "I'd really like a PC version".
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Instruments”