Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NTO wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:13 pm
David wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm I just checked my copy of reMIDI and ...
Hope this is not bad behavior, but address to you as someone active in using it.
I find the plug unstable, locking up both Studio One and FL Studio, when driving slice selection from a piano roll versus manual selection.
I haven't tried ver 2 yet, if that's what you have, nor do I have either Studio One or FL Studio, so doubt I can help. Have you tried contacting the developer?

and maybe even some insight into why MIDI 2 is taking so long to manifest in current apps
Here's a video, posted today, from the MIDI Association's COO, which explains it all pretty clearly, with much basic info about compatibility with MIDI 1, cables, hardware, etc., PLUS including the fact that what's still yet to happen is the development of "class-compliant" drivers for MIDI 2 from all the major OS developers, like Apple, Microsoft, etc., all of whom are active members of the Association and have said they'll do it, or something like that, but no predictions or promises about when for any of that. This info starts around 22 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLHPtJu ... e=emb_logo
Last edited by David on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just stumbled on this video this evening, full of interesting MIDI-FX-related stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASruOUG2HIs&t=0s

Better watched on YT where there are lots of good links in the Show More drop-down.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:55 pm I think once Bitwig adds either a dedicated Midi Grid or implements full Midi capabilities in the existing ones, it will be hard to beat for direct mangling.
<snip>
Let's hope a Midi Grid is something we'll see soon!

Cheers,

Tom
Amen!
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 pm
BluesMuse wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:56 pm reMIDI 2 released. Free upgrade for v1 owners. PB has it for $19. Developer web site http://songwish.ca/index.html#/Support is very sparse, but there are Youtube demos.
This video that links ReMidi v 1, Scaler v 2 and Sonuscore The Orchestra Complete 2 is bonkers
https://youtu.be/5p0u2qVzuos
I love this thread :party:

David wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:25 am Just stumbled on this video this evening, full of interesting MIDI-FX-related stuff:

Better watched on YT where there are lots of good links in the Show More drop-down.
I have always wanted something like this in hardware. I will probably purchase it this week. Thanks for posting!

To take it a step further... This is what I purchased Architect to do. This is also what I hope to do (and a little more) when Bitwig adds more midi functionality to the grid.

UncleAge wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 pm
David wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:25 am Just stumbled on this video this evening, full of interesting MIDI-FX-related stuff:

I have always wanted something like this in hardware. I will probably purchase it this week. Thanks for posting!

To take it a step further... This is what I purchased Architect to do. This is also what I hope to do (and a little more) when Bitwig adds more midi functionality to the grid.
Delighted this was of interest; I hesitated a bit to post since it was so hardware oriented, but decided it was really more about the thinking the gear could inspire than the gear itself, as cool as that looked to me, too.

I certainly hope that the next version of Architect, which I HOPE is the one with more examples included!, shows off how MIDI FX can be made with it. But I actually have started to wonder if I've been wrong all along in thinking that this is what Architect is about.

In the meantime, for current software tools like what that loopop video is showing, have a look at Reason, and the 3rd-party RE Delta, called a MIDI Computer by its maker.

The best demos of it I know of are made by a bloke called PoohBear who's got a very deep YT channel, full of stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oJ9XxnZxHs

And a LOT more on Reason's Player devices (which are all basically MIDI FX), like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPrmvz ... g4&index=4
Last edited by David on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PoohBear's also very much into inter-app connections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqAI4naFGcw

David wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm
UncleAge wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Delighted this was of interest; I hesitated a bit to post since it was so hardware oriented, but decided it was really more about the thinking the gear could inspire than the gear itself, as cool as that looked to me, too.
I'm glad you posted this. In fact earlier in this thread someone mentioned NDLR and I purchased that as well. Will probably pickup their MRCC as well. I don't want to derail the thread either but I don't see the hardware/software ideas as an either/or proposition. In fact I am trying to diversify my setup and add a bit of modular stuff. Without going into great detail the idea is to have my pc provide the sequencing and the outboard gear provide the sounds. Not entirely but mostly. So I find the info in this thread invaluable.
David wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pmI certainly hope that the next version of Architect, which I HOPE is the one with more examples included!, shows off how MIDI FX can be made with it. But I actually have started to wonder if I've been wrong all along in thinking that this is what Architect is about.
Like a lot of folk on this board I followed that thread for years. I also paid for the software when it first came out not because I thought it would do I what I wanted right away but to support the dev. I believe in what he is trying to achieve. With that said I'm not waiting. If I find another path to what I want/need I'm going to follow it.

You can do Midi FX with Architect, I've done several and posted them on the device thread in the Loomer forum.
The problem is, that with all the event-order stuff, it's very tedious and not something I would ever want do on the fly, even less in a live situation.
My hope was, that Colin would do something that made these things easier than they are in Reaktor, where I also did one version of my Midi Mangler and it was even more pain getting the event order right there (https://www.screendream.de/code/toms-midi-mangler), but Architect is a close second.

So if he can't get this way more painless in future versions, I personally would rather use LUA inside of Architect and code the whole thing in a script, so I don't have to deal with the friggin event order and all the errors the current node tree throws out all the time because of it.
There has to be a better, more artistic and intuitive way to structure events in time.

I'm not a fan of atomic nodes anyway, doing basic math with nodes is annoying as hell already, with event order thrown into it, it's getting really painful.
I like nodes as a way of visually structured coding and assembling, mostly for clicking together higher level functions. For everything else, a line of code is so much simpler and faster to type and grok.
The 3D software SideFX Houdini solves this by offering so called "Wrangle" nodes, in which you can enter some lines of code on the fly, with no boilerplate overhead at all.
Blissss. :-)

So while I have the highest respect for Colin, I'm not sure Architect is ever to become what I had hoped for, since my dream was a fast, slick and fluid tool to experiment with Midi rather than an almost full DAW. I don't need that at all.
At the point when he told on the endless pre-release thread that he had optimised Architect to be able to run thousands of sequencers, I was sceptical if it would ever become a tool for me - I do not do anything that would even need 10 sequencers.
So I can only assume at this point in time that his ideas and goals do not coincided with mine. And many things in Architect I find tedious or clumsy ATM. There is great stuff too of course, the GUI builder is brilliant for instance, but the main core somehow feels annoying to me in very many ways.

I actually would be rather happy to have something like Falcons internal Lua scripting as a standalone plugin. That's really clear and well thought out, simple but effective.
Bummer Falcon doesn't output Midi...
Funny company that, UVI...

I tried BlueCats Plug and Script, it's not bad, but doesn't hit the sweet spot either.

Sorry for the rants, as you were... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I think I sold my copy of Architect to David.

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 pm I think I sold my copy of Architect to David.
Yes, you did, thanks very much:)

I had some fun with it right away, then spent twice as much time writing to Colin about it and sending feature requests (like hosting AU and vst MIDI FX…). And now I'm happily using other tools with a dim memory somewhere that Architect is…coming. I expect it'll be a nice surprise, whatever it does, and whenever.
Last edited by David on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 pm <snip>
I actually would be rather happy to have something like Falcons internal Lua scripting as a standalone plugin. That's really clear and well thought out, simple but effective.
<snip>
Sorry for the rants, as you were... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
Ditto on ALL your Falcon complaints. Falcon MIDI out would be SO cool!! Even MIDI Export… Waiting for either of those very reasonable, but extremely unlikely, wishes to ever come true is more painful, to me, than waiting for Colin to finally send something!

And I totally enjoy your rants, even those I mostly don't understand, like much of the snipped out stuff in this one:) So don't hesitate, I say.

David wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm I had some fun with it right away, then spent twice as much time sending feature requests to Colin (like hosting AU and vst MIDI FX…). And now I'm happily using other tools with a dim memory somewhere that Architect is…coming. I expect it'll be a nice surprise, whatever it does, and whenever.
Hmmm! I thought Architect could host VSTi midi FX. IIRC I had requested that Architect to be able to host VSTi midi fx and it was implemented. Not sure if Architect can host VST fx and VST instruments.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Whatever happened to vstlua? It was basically that iirc (not sure how well it worked...)

Return to “Effects”