Gforce Software, something new is on its way...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oberheim OB-E

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm From what I heard in the sound demos so far, I can't say I'm really stunned about the sound. Sounds bog standard soft synth to me.

Sorry in advance for my opinion.
Totally fair, although I'd be curious to know what you thought of Dave's sound design video where he builds up a unison patch from scratch. If this is bog standard, I'd love to know about some other synths that are a bit more vibey like this and less clinical.

https://youtu.be/BuGvF1o0OHw

I think Oberheim must be a love it or hate it thing. I hunted down a few demos, and it just didn't grab me. Probably the demos so far are limited, and there will be better ones coming out. None of them showed me any sounds pushing outside of the norm though. I'm just probably not into analogue polys - I tend to use analogues more for mono stuff. Have to say - demos of any other OB SEM VSTi also don't do it for me...in fact demos of real OB8s don't impress me either.

I think if you are into live playing, you want the stock sounds and the pads and chords and the soft rock vibe, then this kind of synth is far more likely to be of interest, as it obviously is capable of lots of subtlety and expression. I just don't like subtle that much. :shrug:

I used to have access to an Ob way back when. OBXa? Can't remember - the blue stripey one. I just remember it as being, yeah very fat and warm, lovely for chords, great if you're wearing leopard print spandex tights but ultimately a bit bland. I almost always gravitated to the Jp6 instead whenever playing on a poly of equivalent capability. The owner stopped bringing it around - think he was a bit disappointed that I always ignored the Ob. I really rate GForce, so I'm sure it is a great emu etc...just not my taste. Anything trying to be percussive - and especially the percussive sequences etc - oh please...the envelopes seem so flabby as to be almost useless for that (maybe it was just poor programming?) And how many brass pads do I need? Personally - none.

Shame, cos I love GForce. Guess I'll have to wait another 3 years for their next offering. Hopefully something more to my taste. :?

All being fair comments imho.
But for an oberheim fan like myself, of course I would disagree with almost everything you say :).
But yes taste is always personal.
rsp
sound sculptist

Tronam wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm From what I heard in the sound demos so far, I can't say I'm really stunned about the sound. Sounds bog standard soft synth to me.

Sorry in advance for my opinion.
Totally fair, although I'd be curious to know what you thought of Dave's sound design video where he builds up a unison patch from scratch. If this is bog standard, I'd love to know about some other synths that are a bit more vibey like this and less clinical.

It's warm and characterful etc, yeah. But real world pretty useless. Same way as the trance bunnies will harp on about how a Virus Ti or whatever is the dog's bollocks for trance because they can make 128-voice supersaws, I just don't see myself ever using that kind of functionality. A one note press that plays everything from C1 to C6 with detune, drift, modulation in with it...just obliterates anything else in a mix. And it's still a reasonably bland sound, but multiplied by 8 x 3. It makes it no longer bland, but simply irritating. I can only wear one pair of spandex pants at a time. I don't want or need a 24 voice saw.
Not dissing the synth, or Dave, or the emu. It's just not weird enough. Not everyone likes weird, so I get it. :neutral:

kritikon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 pm It's warm and characterful etc, yeah. But real world pretty useless.
Useless except for the famous tunes he played bits and bobs of as he got within their vibe as he built up some of the patch. And countless other rock, jazz, fusion and prog classics. Other than that, yeah useless. :hihi:
Same way as the trance bunnies will harp on about how a Virus Ti or whatever is the dog's bollocks for trance because they can make 128-voice supersaws,
On the Supersaw sound we are 100% aligned. It's f'n irritating.

EDIT: I'm a big Weather Report fan and the OB-E was all over their stuff and hinted at during that patch buildup. So I'm just given you a little crap about "the real world". :D
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

"rock, jazz, fusion and prog classics"

I'm probably way out in the minority, but those genres are pretty niche to me... :hihi:
I'm not going to diss other forms of music - everyone to their tastes. But interesting you mention those genres as being heavy users of OB8s. Unfortunately I don't like most of those genres much, so I guess it follows A) I won't like OB8s, and B) its character probably lends itself to certain styles?

kritikon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 pm its character probably lends itself to certain styles?
Only styles where musicality is the priority. :help: :party: :hug:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? :o

kritikon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 pm
A one note press that plays everything from C1 to C6 with detune, drift, modulation in with it...just obliterates anything else in a mix.
That depends. I initially just wanted to say "I´m waiting for the red bull to catch the last unicorn (VA VST)" but then I read your statement and - no. That shapes timbres. And if you use e. g. sine waves you won´t even hear the sound in a rock mix. Simple, even waveforms have ruined too many mixes - and songs - already :|

Tronam wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 pm Totally fair, although I'd be curious to know what you thought of Dave's sound design video where he builds up a unison patch from scratch. If this is bog standard, I'd love to know about some other synths that are a bit more vibey like this and less clinical.

You can create the same unison patch pretty easily in Kontakt 6 using wavetable oscillators.
Example in attachments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

just got this after about only 20 hours....:
GForceSoftware OB-E Product Registration

Trial Period has expired
:o
:cry:

seriously ?

well, back to knifonium and plasmonic i guess....

i actually like repro5 better! HA!

Yeah I read they said 14 days or 6 hours of use, whichever comes first.
They are really making it hard to like it :)
rsp
sound sculptist

on the positive side: it's quite easy on the cpu

bluesawsq wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 am
Tronam wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 pm Totally fair, although I'd be curious to know what you thought of Dave's sound design video where he builds up a unison patch from scratch. If this is bog standard, I'd love to know about some other synths that are a bit more vibey like this and less clinical.

You can create the same unison patch pretty easily in Kontakt 6 using wavetable oscillators.
Example in attachments.
If you think that comes even close....
well..
rsp
sound sculptist

I hope GForce does well with it. I'm happy just having the SEM filter section in Diva I suppose.

Return to “Instruments”