Matt Tytel makes Vital Open source!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Matt Tytel has made a huge contribution to Opensource world by making Vital synth code available under GPLv3 https://github.com/mtytel/vital.will be very interesting to see future developement of Vital(along with Surge and Odin2).
Last edited by k2006 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amazing- A synth as good (maybe better) as the current market leaders is opensource! :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pmAmazing- A synth as good (maybe better) as the current market leaders is opensource! :clap:
One could argue Surge was first and it's easily as good (or better) than many hybrid VA/WT synths :)

Regardless, that's a great move from Matt!!! :clap: :love:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pmAmazing- A synth as good (maybe better) as the current market leaders is opensource! :clap:
One could argue Surge was first and it's easily as good (or better) than many hybrid VA/WT synths :)

True, but to me at least Surge sounded great but seemed a little dated in use and visually where as Vital is totally cutting edge and better than most 'new' synths for visual feedback and workflow.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Great contribution. Thanks to Matt!

I haven't used Vital a ton, but I'm glad I bought the Pro version to support the project and glad Matt is giving back.

"Vital is a spectral warping wavetable synthesizer."
"This is the source."
-from Github. sounds good :)

SLiC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:29 pm...where as Vital is totally cutting edge and better than most 'new' synths for visual feedback and workflow.
That's interesting, because I feel completely the opposite way with Vital - I don't really like the way it looks and works, probably because it's heavily inspired by certain other synth I don't like ;)

Anyway, I'm really happy the synth is a success for Matt and he can open it!
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:29 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm

True, but to me at least Surge sounded great but seemed a little dated in use and visually where as Vital is totally cutting edge and better than most 'new' synths for visual feedback and workflow.
Yeah, Vital has an exceptional GUI... and is at least as good if not better than any synth out there for MPE. Matt has done a fantastic job on it. I'm very happy I bought the Pro version to support his efforts!

sorry for the noobish question, but is open source really a superior solution?
Will there now be dozens of different Vitals available, all with different feature sets to each other?
Will there be one single source where you can find them/it? Or will they be scattered around the interwebz?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

It all depends. But once something is open-sourced, it will be forked and forked and forked. That doesn't mean there will be many parallel releases. Many people will just fork in order to build the source and fiddle around with it. There's no way to tell. Surge was lucky that a couple of crazy people stumbled upon it and after 2 years a ton of stuff was added and there are no other prevalent forks that "do things differently". That's not to say that at some point there won't be, but for now, Surge's development is centralized still. Who knows what will happen with Vital, but the statement that pull requests won't be taken says that you will still be getting the main, original, "intended" Vital from Matt himself.

Thanks,
i generally find open source interesting, but haven't really been exposed to it myself too much, so these were the concerns that came to mind which might become actually detrimental to it's evoultion as too many cooks could easily spoil the broth.
Having said that, i also want to join the choir in thanking Mr. Tytel for releasing such a big project for free to the public, that can easily compete with the big (and expensive) boys in the business. :love:
It must feel weird to let your new born baby go, even if he had this in mind from the get go.
Let's see what the future brings for Vital! :party:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I'm about to fork it hard... y'all get ready for.... VitalCoin !

Hasn't Matt's Helm synth been open source for quite some time ? Have we seen any further development of it by the open source community ? ( I really don't know, I'm just asking)

I'm more curious as to the reason Matt has set Vital as open source since if memory serves me correctly (and it may not) he said it wasn't or wouldn't be open source.

Oh well I wish Matt all the best and hope he has been properly compensated for his work on Vital. Looking forward to what the future holds.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I thought pre-Vital launch Matt (when prompted) had not said yes or no about Vital going open source - in other words it was more of a "no comment" type of thing, but I as well as others I'm sure read that to mean that there was a chance, and a good chance at that, that it would be open source at some point.

FapFilter wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:11 pm Thanks,
i generally find open source interesting, but haven't really been exposed to it myself too much, so these were the concerns that came to mind which might become actually detrimental to it's evoultion as too many cooks could easily spoil the broth.
That is not an apt analogy cause each of those cooks would be doing their broth.

As long as you download Matt's broth, it is Matt's broth. Open Source doesn't mean other people are changing his broth without his say so.

Return to “Instruments”