Matt Tytel makes Vital Open source!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRian
507 posts since 31 May, 2015 from the Iberian Peninsula

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Contrats Matt. Full respect to you and your practices :hug:

User avatar
KVRAF
4164 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm

mtytel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:56 pm
[snip...]What I'd like is people to recommend Vital because it is good.
That's why I bought Pro as soon as it was announced.

User avatar
KVRist
174 posts since 28 Jan, 2013 from Oakland

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm

plexuss wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm
mtytel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:56 pm
[snip...]What I'd like is people to recommend Vital because it is good.
That's why I bought Pro as soon as it was announced.
I appreciate it [ insert an appreciative emoji from this decade ]

v1o
KVRAF
2727 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:59 am

plexuss wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 am
I hate open source.
I bet alot of the software you use day to day benefits from open source libraries. I bet you even use an open source browser or media player.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRist
382 posts since 4 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 am

It's not only software, but hardware.

Millions of appliances are running on BSDs, Linux.

From car with infotainment systems, network equipment, industrial equipment, synths etc.

This without counting open source RTOSes on microntrollers.

By number of devices running it, Linux is way bigger than windows or mac. No contest.

KVRist
73 posts since 2 Jan, 2021

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 am

Such fun being able to both use a synth and also see what's going on behind the scenes.

Big thanks, Matt

:tu:

User avatar
KVRAF
4164 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 am

v1o wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:59 am
plexuss wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 am
I hate open source.
I bet alot of the software you use day to day benefits from open source libraries. I bet you even use an open source browser or media player.
If it works, great. I am sure many of the software tools I use have open source code. I dont seek out open source software however as I found its generally a waste of my time - software and coding are not an interest of mine. If a dev wants to use open source code in a product I buy, great, as long as it works and I get my moneys worth.

KVRist
202 posts since 31 Dec, 2005

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 am

So basically, if I wanted to get Vital, would I still have to pay for the synth? He's still got the 4 options to 'buy' vital on the site. There hasn't been any indication on the site that it's officially open source. This is in regards to the 'subscribe', 'plus' & 'pro' that you can buy on the site.

User avatar
KVRist
174 posts since 28 Jan, 2013 from Oakland

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am

pinbot wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 am
So basically, if I wanted to get Vital, would I still have to pay for the synth? He's still got the 4 options to 'buy' vital on the site. There hasn't been any indication on the site that it's officially open source. This is in regards to the 'subscribe', 'plus' & 'pro' that you can buy on the site.
The other option is free, so you don't have to pay to get the synth.
The paid versions come with more content. Pro or Subscription give you access to newer features and prioritized support along with an non-rate-limited web features like text-to-wavetable.

I've talked about why I don't advertise or announce that it's open source in this thread.

KVRAF
1927 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 am

mtytel wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am
pinbot wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 am
So basically, if I wanted to get Vital, would I still have to pay for the synth? He's still got the 4 options to 'buy' vital on the site. There hasn't been any indication on the site that it's officially open source. This is in regards to the 'subscribe', 'plus' & 'pro' that you can buy on the site.
The other option is free, so you don't have to pay to get the synth.
The paid versions come with more content. Pro or Subscription give you access to newer features and prioritized support along with an non-rate-limited web features like text-to-wavetable.

I've talked about why I don't advertise or announce that it's open source in this thread.
Will the official free version still be updated. .. I am just startimg to learn this synth and liking it but I dont have a budget at the moment or forseable future as long as the covid restrictions and the racist policies in my country continues to kill our economy here Down South of Africa

KVRist
307 posts since 3 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 am

surreal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 am
Will the official free version still be updated. ..
Yes. The only difference between paid and free versions are included presets and themes (and the number of text-to-wavetable calls).

User avatar
KVRAF
4374 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am

I knew that at some point there will be so that the Pro version would get more features. :hihi:

User avatar
KVRist
174 posts since 28 Jan, 2013 from Oakland

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:56 am

Igro wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am
I knew that at some point there will be so that the Pro version would get more features. :hihi:
Not sure if you understood what I meant. The pro/subscription users get new builds with the newest features first. Then after I while I'll give the builds to everyone. Don't have a timeline though.

KVRAF
27662 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:17 pm

Held wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm
Linux is also the most used server operating system. Even Microsoft loves it now
... which is 100% PR drivel. You might also want to visit their newsroom, to see how they save the world among other things.

Steve Ballmer calling Linux cancer was actually hilarious. :hihi: I wouldn't actually put it that drastic, but, the spirit surely spreads like cancer...
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRist
307 posts since 3 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 pm

chk071 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:17 pm
Held wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm
Linux is also the most used server operating system. Even Microsoft loves it now
... which is 100% PR drivel. You might also want to visit their newsroom, to see how they save the world among other things.

Steve Ballmer calling Linux cancer was actually hilarious. :hihi: I wouldn't actually put it that drastic, but, the spirit surely spreads like cancer...
Are you stuck in the 90s or something? Microsoft's core business model is the cloud now, and the cloud runs on Linux. Microsoft pays many people to work full-time on open source and Linux. They own Github, the major hosting site for open source projects, and they've included Linux inside Windows as the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

So you're right about one thing, the spirit of open source is spreading very quickly, and only brainwashed or evil people have a problem with it.

Open source is best for society while closed source is best for corporations and share holders.

Return to “Instruments”