When electronic music sounded new, like the future... what went wrong!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, the last 3 VSTs I bought were Plasmonic, Noisy and Phase Plant, the fist 2 more for expression (MPE/Touché) but definitely PM (even with some subtractive) has a different sound to VA. Phase Plant just has an unlimited and easy to use modular style, great FM anything and poly fx...Zebra2 is also still one of my go-to's even after all this time...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:55 pm

or a ransom note :shrug:
If you could string together a sung ransom note out of loop slices that would be pretty clever.

"pay up the 2 million or else" - from a thousand fragments of loop slices.

Could become a new genre.

telecharge wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm
"I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but I’m not sure where to go from here. I haven’t made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all."
This is a fun story...got a laugh out of me
But whether its loops, construction kits, chord generators, melody generators, auto accompaniment, or AI; there is a real debate obfuscated here about the percentage of the musical result that comes from your conscious intent, and what percentage threshold constitutes musician-hood versus some concept of conductor or collage artist. But that is mostly about labels and people's investment in them. The market will determine whether they respect and/or enjoy what you do enough to pay money for it. Market validation however and critical acclaim or acceptance into the fraternities invested in a particular label are rarely in alignment.
And yes, kvr has had this debate cyclically the 15 yrs I've been here with every technological advancement ;-)
Last edited by bermudagold on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Wasn't wav razor supposed to be something new but got points shaved off for being harsh sounding,not intuitive, etc etc?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Yeh, and 'Generate' from Newfangled Audio

Novel chaotic oscillator has 5 types: Double Pendulum, Vortex, Pulsar, Discharge, and Turbine
Wavefolders based on the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, Fractals, and a special Animated Equation
Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE

It was interesting in many ways (including the GUI) but I haven't bought it yet (I have Elevate)

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... h/generate
Last edited by SLiC on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Maybe a better analogy/counterargument is that an artist isn't really doing anything original if she isn't making her own paint? :shrug:

Either way, the problem seems to lie somewhere in the void between people who think that originality in electronic music is dependent on experimentation with synth sounds and those who think it is more dependent on what you do with those sounds.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:38 pm Yeh, and 'Generate' from Newfangled Audio

Novel chaotic oscillator has 5 types: Double Pendulum, Vortex, Pulsar, Discharge, and Turbine
Wavefolders based on the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, Fractals, and a special Animated Equation
Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE

It was interesting in many ways (including the GUI) but I haven't bought it yet (I have Elevate)

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... h/generate
I've been eyeballing that one too

cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm
Either way, the problem seems to lie somewhere in the void between people who think that originality in electronic music is dependent on experimentation with synth sounds and those who think it is more dependent on what you do with those sounds.
Twas always so.

Some people use to go for a ride on a steam train mainly because they loved trains.

Most other people were more interested in the journey and the destination. And the food in the buffet.

cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm Maybe a better analogy/argument is that an artist isn't really doing anything original if she isn't making her own paint? :shrug"
Turner used the experimental watercolor Indian Yellow as a primary feature of his most famous paining's—a fluorescent paint derived from the urine of mango-fed cows.
cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm Either way, the problem seems to lie somewhere in the void between people who think that originality in electronic music is dependent on experimentation with synth sounds and those who think it is more dependent on what you do with those sounds.
I can play the main motifs from Oxygène on the Piano and it still sounds pretty good, but it sounds better with the sounds Jarre came up with...Is it about the sound or the melody, obviously both, but I wonder if it would have sold so well as a Piano or Orchestral Score.

Originality even in guitar based pop or rock is often about the fx and/or post processing...every tried playing U2 riffs on the guitar without fx!
Last edited by SLiC on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

don't forget the train hoppin hobos

dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:44 pm And the food in the buffet.
Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks a LOT, dellboy. :x
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm Maybe a better analogy/counterargument is that an artist isn't really doing anything original if she isn't making her own paint? :shrug:
Mix it with dung, but that has been done before.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 pm
cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm Maybe a better analogy/counterargument is that an artist isn't really doing anything original if she isn't making her own paint? :shrug:
Mix it with dung, but that has been done before.
work your way through all the animals, there's bound to be something we can do?

what about if we feed a sloth nothing but black berries?
has that been done? for a nice browny purple?

It's all been dung before.

melomood wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:49 pm don't forget the train hoppin hobos
totally lived my young life as "on the road." I have no idea how i survived.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”