When electronic music sounded new, like the future... what went wrong!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:27 pm will a rhino do instead of elephants?
Screenshot_2021-02-26-20-25-03-237~2.jpg
Okay. That confirms it. I've long suspected that you have behind my nightmares. I shall report you to the Inquisitors for further examination. Now piss off out my head (or on it, if you take this the wrong way).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:29 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:27 pm will a rhino do instead of elephants?
Screenshot_2021-02-26-20-25-03-237~2.jpg
Okay. That confirms it. I've long suspected that you have behind my nightmares. I shall report you to the Inquisitors for further examination. Now piss off out my head (or on it, if you take this the wrong way).
i apologise, my intentions are to please (not you, everybody). im just not a very good dreamweaver.
it was supposed to be a big fluffy puppy coming to play :shrug:

happy to piss on you though, obviously not in person, there's a pandemic, but if you pm your address ill send a bottle off in the morning :)

dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm He could have been commenting on some obscure new funky jazz trio that you had to "get"- to get it. Nothing changes.
exactly...I've seen fans of a particular scene lose all objective relativism...chances are if you cant articulate what it is you have to just "get"- to get it;...then maybe its imaginary
Second comment from the video:
"Every note in this track fades into the far distance, like we're witnessing an event being etched into the fabric of time before it's sent off into the past forever. But as those moments disappear, we carry a momentum while we build upon them. This track reminds me of relentless expansion of the human race year after year, century century, for good or bad.".....uh...ok

Interestingly though, the reviewer is actually pretty objective and well reasoned in his explaining of his points of view...I was expecting him to say non fans just wont get it lol
Last edited by bermudagold on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm Xanopticon - These Days. What can I say ? Noise ?
Maybe to you. I think his music is amazing; very unique even in the breakcore scene. Unfortunately his last major release was in 2006 which might exclude him from this discussion :?
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm Xanopticon - These Days. What can I say ? Noise ?
Maybe to you. I think his music is amazing; very unique even in the breakcore scene. Unfortunately his last major release was in 2006 which might exclude him from this discussion :?
my mum used to call the music i listened to as a teenager as "noise".
ok, i was in to some death metal but i was also in to a bit of lighter metal like slayer and metallica, or even iron maiden, who whether you like them or not can hardly be called noise :lol:

this was before i actually discovered "noise" as a genre and fell in love 💜💜💜

@vurt
@daheesh
Thanks for the lcd soundsystem pointer...those examples are interesting...i will check them out
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 pm @vurt
@daheesh
Thanks for the lcd soundsystem pointer...those examples are interesting...i will check them out
yup lcd do some cracking stuff :tu:
great live too!

In regards to the OP...

I can't say I've ever been an electronic music fan (in general), but I like a lot of music with synths. I'm not old enough to remember when electronic music was new, but I don't think music that's been around for decades can sound new again. Fresh takes? Sure.

We tend to get a bit jaded as we get older and exposed to more music, and our tastes often change, as well.

As far as trying to look and sound like the past, I think that's the cyclical nature of art.

I'm not sure about the advancement of synthesis technology, but those tiny incremental improvements have a cumulative effect. It's often artists who push the music and the technology forward.

bermudagold wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:52 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm He could have been commenting on some obscure new funky jazz trio that you had to "get"- to get it. Nothing changes.
exactly...I've seen fans of a particular scene lose all objective relativism...chances are if you cant articulate what it is you have to just "get"- to get it;...then maybe its imaginary
Second comment from the video:
"Every note in this track fades into the far distance, like we're witnessing an event being etched into the fabric of time before it's sent off into the past forever. But as those moments disappear, we carry a momentum while we build upon them. This track reminds me of relentless expansion of the human race year after year, century century, for good or bad.".....uh...ok

Interestingly though, the reviewer is actually pretty objective and well reasoned in his explaining of his points of view...I was expecting him to say non fans just wont get it lol
fans of any genre can be like that though, not just electronic music, ive heard zappa fans say pretty much the same thing. like it's inhuman to not think he's a god or something :hihi:

i mean, i can listen to it, and i can hear how good the music and musicians are, some of the players are amazing! but it does nothing for me as music :shrug:
whereas the shaggs, i know they can't really play, but i bloody love that album :love:

telecharge wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 pm t's often artists who push the music and the technology forward.
quite often by abusing the instruments or something.
kinks ripping a speaker cone.
the 303 isn't famous for doing what it was made for.

HunterKiller wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:30 pmHave you been in hibernation for the past 45 years?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrwfjNU0Tg
Sorry, that never did much for me. Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols and Pink Flag both sounded far more like the future to my ears, just a year later. JMJ was just more of the same, like Tubular Bells or Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth and King Arthur albums, all of which predate Oxygene by several years and none of which sounded like the future.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

OK, I just listened again to make sure. I also listened to another one by him. Confirmed. Its noise.

Now, OK, if you like noise, then fine, every one to his own, but lets just not call it "music".

Music is defined as -- "Music is the art of arranging sounds in time to produce a composition through the elements of melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre."

It does not fit that description. So give it a new name. Discord. Or something.

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 pm
melomood wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 pm Sometimes it's just a new version of old composers composing symphonies with elements borrowed from older local folk melodies
that's a good point (ignoring classical, as that's not the period being touted as awesome...)
people want new never done before stuff now, and the beatles were mentioned earlier...
what exactly did they do that hadn't been done by others before?

other than taking things from disparate influences and bringing them together?

people talk about flanging in tapes, no, cage et al had done that.
sampling? no, musique concrete did that...
and so on.

also, the early stuff was pants and the later stuff, about 50/50 between great tracks and filler :shrug:

there has never been a better time than now for music and music lovers, why? because right now you have all the music that's gone before available, are you telling me, you think you'll I've exhausted all the good? do you actually think you have ever even heard more than a small slice of what there is? piss off!
Hey hey I'm with you,miss thang
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:48 am
OK, I just listened again to make sure. I also listened to another one by him. Confirmed. Its noise.

Now, OK, if you like noise, then fine, every one to his own, but lets just not call it "music".

Music is defined as -- "Music is the art of arranging sounds in time to produce a composition through the elements of melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre."

It does not fit that description. So give it a new name. Discord. Or something.
music has evolved beyond that description a little... :band2:

https://youtu.be/RxVZDxK02QE

ok, those things exist here, but what about some of eno's ambient works, he eschews much of that list :shrug:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”