Copperlan

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRer
2 posts since 1 Apr, 2014

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 am

So the big question I have about Copperlan is can I use it to tie MIDI apps on an iPad that use CoreMIDI to a MIDI  device like the Alyseum AL-88c over a Wifi Router WITHOUT having to use an additional computer?

That is:

IOS MIDI app -> CoreMIDI -> Copperlan -> Wifi -> Wifi Router -> AL- 88c -> MIDI synthesizers?

Right now the only solution to this sort of configuration would seem to be the pending Kiss-Box RTP-MIDI products which can hook directly to a wifi router.  Copperlan sounds like a better technology but if it can't hook into CoreMIDI or requires an additional computer to act as middleman, I don't see any use for it...

--

Zinc

KVRer
23 posts since 8 Sep, 2010 from Brussels

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:27 am

Hi,

No, because the CopperLan engine can't be installed on iOS devices due to some Apple restrictions.

However there is a solution allowing you to connect an iPad to a AL-88 without any computer: the AL-USB + iOS Camera USB accessory. It is recognized as a dual USB MIDI port by the iPad and offers CopperLan Ethernet connector on the other side.
This is needing a short configuration step, you have to create the expected virtual MIDI cables (or more complex patching, any MIDI channel can be sent to any MIDI channel on any port) between the AL-USB and AL-88 using a computer. This configuration can be saved in the AL-xx products. And then you can use a straight Ethernet cable between the AL-USB and the AL-88 (no switch, no computer).

Ok, this is a wired solution, but you can drop the AL-88 400 meters away from the iPad and you don't experience WIFI latency :-)
||| Phil |||
http://www.copperlan.org
Check out my CopperLan page on facebook!
New! My YouTube channel, videos related to CoppperLan

KVRer
2 posts since 1 Apr, 2014

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks, but I already have a single-midi port wired solution. All I needed the AL-88 for was the network-to-midi option that would work with a wifi router, was trying to find a way to make that wireless to CoreMidi. What I'm hoping for now is the $129 PUC about to be released. Apparently, the initial software will only do incoming MIdI and I need outgoing, but there is a planned update supposedly a few weeks later that will support Midi out. This is the solution I'm looking for as long as it really works as advertised and will actually ship. It's not Rocket Science, the Missing Link hardware was clearly capable of what I need, it's just the software is lacking. Even Raspberry-PI hardware capable of it if you add a wifi dongle, but the software to do RTP-Midi with Bonjour seems to be elusive...

KVRer
15 posts since 2 May, 2009

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 am

Anyone know whether Copperlan will run on a new mac mini M1 with Big Sur?

KVRer
15 posts since 2 May, 2009

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:43 am

Copperlan's site seems to be down.
Anyone know where Copperlan Manager can be dowwnloaded?

KVRAF
12636 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Try wayback machine web archive (google that) for the url posted at start of this thread. You might get lucky...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”