Fairlight and DaVinci Resolve version 17...

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
5426 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:37 am

DaVinci has upgraded to version 17 and its free for most of us...
It has the fully blown Fairlight DAW integrated, I wonder how much experience with it is here at KVR and how it compares to other DAWs...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/whatsnew

Sometimes I create YT videos, and DaVinci was my friend, but I never used it for real scoring projects. When I get a video to add or edit audio I would usually do that in Logic. But wherever video editing is needed as well DaVincy would Resolve the issue...

KVRian
514 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:37 am
DaVinci has upgraded to version 17 and its free for most of us...
It has the fully blown Fairlight DAW integrated,
Fairlight is a DAW in the old meaning of the word, so audio only (in comparison to MIDI sequencers that had been MIDI only). No ASIO too. Never used it for more than basic editing, but I've just installed 17 and never used it yet.
They've added transient detection, so slowly it gains the features we're used to.

KVRian
1177 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 am

Using it right now for some videos I am editing - so easy to do ducking for the vocal track -but I am a total newb for the Fairlight component. Looks like it will get more and more work from me tho

KVRAF
4129 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 am

Dunno, I never had to use it yet. Everything is recorded right in Ableton...
so easy to do ducking for the vocal track
...including this :wink:

And my audio editing needs are no more complex than layering background music over dialogs and adding fadeouts or volume corrections.

Maybe things will change with iZotope RX, but honestly, it might be not worth it.
They've added transient detection, so slowly it gains the features we're used to.
Need to try this, may be helfpul when trying to locate messed up voiceovers, especially parts which are too loud and explosive.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

KVRian
1177 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:00 pm

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 am
Dunno, I never had to use it yet. Everything is recorded right in Ableton...
so easy to do ducking for the vocal track
...including this :wink:
There are times when one edits the background sounds(s) independently of the vocals so ducking has to happen "on the fly". I am not making music videos tho, this is where one might want to cut the picture, then cut (or not) the vocal tracks and the background sound/music. Being able to do all that within Resolve is proving to be a big time saver for this current project and I can see me using it more and more instead of going out to RX or Reaper for the audio edits. (Actually RX needs a big overhaul, whilst the algorithms are first class the actual editing is lagging the market I think eg no feathering on frequency selections, no crossfading)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”