Most annoying uneccessary technology: Pre scanning of plugins, please DON'T!!!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

melomood wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:45 am I disagree with your premise, Tj
Arguments???

I'm not going to waste paragraphs arguing your ridiculously finite statement about plug in scanning
If you're having a problem,figure it out and stop blaming the tools
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Why would a newbie have 100+ plug-ins?

Why can't all DAW cache the information they gather once from a plug-in alongside a file modification date or something of the dll and be done with it until that file modification or something date changes?

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm Why can't all DAW cache the information they gather once from a plug-in alongside a file modification date or something of the dll and be done with it until that file modification or something date changes?
In order to detect any file modification, you still need to scan files. There is no magical way for DAW to know everything out of nowhere.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:08 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm Why can't all DAW cache the information they gather once from a plug-in alongside a file modification date or something of the dll and be done with it until that file modification or something date changes?
In order to detect any file modification, you still need to scan files. There is no magical way for DAW to know everything out of nowhere.
Scan files in a millisecond vs. loading and opening a plug-in to query its properties after it established connection to its license server... big difference.

Life would be simpler if there were a standard location for all of your plugins. A single location. Mac has at least two locations and PC even more. Same with support files, for that matter.

Then, on initial scan, the DAW just needs to enumerate those folders and present the plugins as unverified. The user can then opt to verify them all in one go, or on an as-needed basis. The pain of scanning hundreds of plugins (AU, VST, VST 3) all at once is real.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

mine takes seconds, and only scans for new plugins....

But I don't have many plugins anyway....

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm Why would a newbie have 100+ plug-ins?

Why can't all DAW cache the information they gather once from a plug-in alongside a file modification date or something of the dll and be done with it until that file modification or something date changes?
Isn't this the way cubase handles it?

I'm with Tj. Every DAW and vst host I have used, you do a full scan only once. After that, you do a quick scan whenever you install a new plugin and it only scans the new plugin because it already knows all the others. In fact, full scans are not usually recommended by the host.

Can you specify which are the "major DAWs" we're talking about? As others pointed out, meanwhile it's pretty common to scan what has changed (PT for sure, S1) or to even manually scan (FL, Audition).

rasmusklump wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:59 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm Why would a newbie have 100+ plug-ins?

Isn't this the way cubase handles it?
I'd sure hope so. As I said, every DAW should.

It's gotta be something like that, because, the difference between the initial plugin scan (when you add your plugin folders to the settings, and scan), and the scan which happens when Cubase or Studio One are started is massive.

syntonica wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:24 pm Life would be simpler if there were a standard location for all of your plugins. A single location.
there is here

C/VST64

Cubase does a full scan from scratch when the clocks move forward or backwards. It is very inconvenient at times. It quickly scans and updates at any other time except for twice a year I always sigh as I watch the process slowly unfurl in front of my eyes and apologize if I have someone in the studio and I have forgotten to run it earlier that day. First world problem and all that jazz.

Scotty wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:02 pm Cubase does a full scan from scratch when the clocks move forward or backwards. It is very inconvenient at times. It quickly scans and updates at any other time except for twice a year I always sigh as I watch the process slowly unfurl in front of my eyes and apologize if I have someone in the studio and I have forgotten to run it earlier that day. First world problem and all that jazz.
This is gone for nearly 2 years now....

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”