U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmm, custom scales are easier than I was thinking... I'll have to play with this!

One thing I'm not clear about: does it strictly use 12TET tuning, or if you use some other voltage source, can you program alternate tunings?

On first read of the manual it seemed like basic scales are 12TET but you chose which notes are available, while volt maps can be more free-form. But I might be misinterpreting that.

One thing I have done a few times with Teletype is quantize to 1/5 of a volt for 5TET scales. I could also imagine doing a harmonic series, etc.

Alright, I have another observation and question.

On program switches, there are no pops (which is so damn lovely), but there is a momentary dip in amplitude (most easily heard with repeated program switches) that reminds me a bit of Pro Tools’ linear (as opposed to equal-power/ logarithmic) crossfades.

I wonder if you/ the dev team would be open to adding a line in the CVz.ini file for allowing users to adjust the behavior (and/ or speed) of fades on program switches. 😅

Here’s a snippet of audio:
https://soundcloud.com/xuiqen/cvilizati ... AwBuI3F6qS

- First half illustrates the gist of one of my anticipated use-cases. (Apologies for the loudness of the Rytm's metronome -- I thought it would be fun to use for exciting the A4's chorus, while trig LFO-ing the compressor output level.)
- Second half accentuates the amplitude ducking.

Cheers. :)

Popping back in to ask for a bit more clarity when using with line-level signals:

Justin mentioned a need to unbalance and boost (from line to modular level). Is also there a need to DC-couple the input signal/ AC-couple the output?

Also, with regard to my pieces of kit (Rytm/ A4/ Heat) — I’ve never had issues with noise when using TS cables running to my interface, is it possible the need to unbalance isn’t necessary in my case?

It may not be necessary to unbalance signals before hitting CVz. Try it and see if the results are acceptable.
Actually, you don need a boost, I just recommended it to get the most of CVz's available headroom.
If you are always passing audio, no need to worry about DC coupling. If you to use CVz for CV signals, then you will want to make sure that the inputs/outputs which are connected to CVz are DC coupled.

Sorry, it looks like I missed a few PMs from you. :oops:

justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm It may not be necessary to unbalance signals before hitting CVz. Try it and see if the results are acceptable.
This inquiry is being primarily lead by the fact that I’ve been dealing with a bit of noise (that fatigues my ears after awhile). While I suspect this is due to my lack of boosting (things come out of CVz a fair bit quieter than the Akai’s), I’m not sure I’m familiar with what noise from failing to unbalance sounds like.
justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm If you are always passing audio, no need to worry about DC coupling.
Ok, this is what I’d suspected, but just wanted to make sure. :)

No worries on the missed PM’s, whatsoever. :ud:

having some mode iii fun :wheee:

moooooo 🐄

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 pm having some mode iii fun :wheee:

moooooo 🐄
Audio or it hasn't happened.

will sort some at the end of the evening.
got called away for zoom :roll:
just text me!!!

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtu ... ions01.mp3

several runs knitted together :)
nothing fancy :hihi:
just getting used to using cv for overdubbing/moootating and such, diff mootypes :tu:

malekko sequencer/cvlization 2 channels, 1 to sto/cinnamon/supercell the other cloud oscillator/wasp filter/lyra8 delay

and a kick sound from plaits :shrug:

:o :tu:

from the noodles above, and videos, have come up with a plan!
hopefully have something more coherent later!

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 pm http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtu ... ions01.mp3

several runs knitted together :)
nothing fancy :hihi:
just getting used to using cv for overdubbing/moootating and such, diff mootypes :tu:

malekko sequencer/cvlization 2 channels, 1 to sto/cinnamon/supercell the other cloud oscillator/wasp filter/lyra8 delay

and a kick sound from plaits :shrug:
:tu:

:tu:

3 thumbs! :o

thanks, glad it was enjoyed
hard to know when you're having that much fun, whether others will too :hihi:

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtu ... ated01.mp3

another, bit more mellow, jus two seperate bits of the same. plaits/supercell.
1 channel of cvlization, playing and mutating, with the second recording it with less steps. 9/8 steps.

definitely thinking a second is in order!
this mode plus 1 and 2 which get or have gotten, more use here.
now im exploring this mode a little more, i can see this getting plenty of use.
either as above, or like yesterday, recording the loops from the malekko and different step interval for ever changing, using 4 different numbers on both ends as well, could get some nice mental melodic bits :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”