Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm I still haven't bought it and I'm on the fence...

On one hand, when I'm trying it I can hear it does sound nice, full, warm and "analog" but at the same time nothing special and - compared to all the modern VSTs - it is pretty limited and constrained. Then I'd load Tal-U-No-Lx, which always sounded great, but now suddenly - in comparison - sounds pretty bland, flat and lifeless. What the heck?!

Another advantage is I'd be supporting a small independent dev, who's super responsive to fixing bugs, open to feature requests and ALSO releases his stuff for Linux and Apple Silicon, so that has to be worth something too, right?

Should I get it (despite the discount not being available anymore)? :help:
If you use classic analog sounds in your music, go for it. It sounds incredible IMO. The built-in layering also opens up doors that may not be immediately obvious if only using a single layer. Totally killer synth, and yeah, you'd be supporting a great developer.

If musically, your whole deal revolves around more modern sounds, then probably not for you. I think this thing is a total steal myself, and Patrick's level of support has been awesome. Plus, now is a great time to buy because of how improved it is over the original 1.0 release, which was already excellent.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pmIf musically, your whole deal revolves around more modern sounds, then probably not for you. I think this thing is a total steal myself, and Patrick's level of support has been awesome. Plus, now is a great time to buy because of how improved it is over the original 1.0 release, which was already excellent.
It's closer to this, but I also need a "normal" pad or lead once in a while, so it wouldn't go to waste for sure. And I really think of just getting it to support TAL. And I'm slowly moving to Linux, where TAL is one of very few premium plugin devs.

I think I'm gonna get it :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:55 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pmIf musically, your whole deal revolves around more modern sounds, then probably not for you. I think this thing is a total steal myself, and Patrick's level of support has been awesome. Plus, now is a great time to buy because of how improved it is over the original 1.0 release, which was already excellent.
It's closer to this, but I also need a "normal" pad or lead once in a while, so it wouldn't go to waste for sure. And I really think of just getting it to support TAL. And I'm slowly moving to Linux, where TAL is one of very few premium plugin devs.

I think I'm gonna get it :D
You're making a great choice!

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm it is pretty limited and constrained.

Go for it. Get it and get stuck in that two-layer Jupiter-8 design. This is the key to some absolutely gorgeous sounds.

The apparent limitations of a Jupiter-8 synth (when compared to any modern non-emulation synths) is exactly what appeals to me. I want to be led by its specific workflow. I want to feel that I can't apply an endless list of modulations and simply focus on the sound as dictated by the hardware-originated design. This, coupled with the two-layer design is exactly why I love J-8. It can create some very lush sounds in no time. A joy to use.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

We need more Electric Himalaya sounds for J-8! Great sound design.

Hmmm, I have been playing with the demo for a few hours- a lot of great features, simple and clear GUI (with some nice under the hood stuff), great low end (it can rumble!) and it really comes alive with a nice reverb after it....great job :party:

I still cant see any reason to buy it as I have so many great VA's, but I have never let that stop me in the past :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Almost bought Knifonium in the current sale, for the same reason. But... I stayed strong (tap on shoulder). :)

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm I still haven't bought it and I'm on the fence...

On one hand, when I'm trying it I can hear it does sound nice, full, warm and "analog" but at the same time nothing special and - compared to all the modern VSTs - it is pretty limited and constrained. Then I'd load Tal-U-No-Lx, which always sounded great, but now suddenly - in comparison - sounds pretty bland, flat and lifeless. What the heck?!

Another advantage is I'd be supporting a small independent dev, who's super responsive to fixing bugs, open to feature requests and ALSO releases his stuff for Linux and Apple Silicon, so that has to be worth something too, right?

compared to which vsts? It's an old analogue synth being emulated. I guess it depends if that synth is what you want. Not sure how LX sounds bland in comparison. I think it sounds great, but maybe these sounds aren't your thing. I dunno.

For the price this is a bargain. Some of these vsts are way expensive in comparison. You might not get Arturia's bells and whistlers, but the basic function is better here

ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pmFor the price this is a bargain. Some of these vsts are way expensive in comparison.
Already got a discount code from Patrick and purchased my license :) :love:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:24 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pmFor the price this is a bargain. Some of these vsts are way expensive in comparison.
He will always find a solution I guess :)

What I really like about Tal is, when there's a problem, through communication with him a solution will be found [quickly]. Can not say that about most other developers.

Agreed Patrick aka TAL is a great developer!
Last edited by kgdrum on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

:tu:
Don't forget to register in their website, so you have access to your serial online (just in case in the future).

EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:26 pm
:tu:
Don't forget to register in their website, so you have access to your serial online (just in case in the future).
Which site? TAL's or that payment/shop thingy's?
I already have TAL's account because I own U-No and 101.
Music tech enthusiast

I meant TAL's. Oh, I thought you are buying for first time from them.
I did bought before (and sold) but I haven't registered till I bought J-8 few days ago :clown:

How do I get a discount code? May tip me over the edge!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”