Do you hear your melodies in your mind?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:54 pm Do you hear your voices in your head?
Would you lie about this and pretend to be normal :wink:
I hear the melodies if I make the beat before hand, if I poke around for a melody not so much..

Who said that?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I tend to hear melodies in my ears.
However, I do imagine melodies in my mind. On rare occasions, said melodies make it to soundcloud.
If you can "play" your favourite toons in your head, you can make up new ones.
Whether they're any good...

I thought everyone made up music in their heads all the time, whenever they felt like it. Now I know they dont, which is weird to me.

Either that or I write it in my head & practice it on the keyboard til I get what I heard in my head right,or reasonably close
That doesn't exclude finding it while doodling around on a keyboard or building it around a manipulated sample
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

If you can't hear melodies in your head how do you make anything up? I don't understand.

Like you just fumble around on the keyboard until something cool accidentally happens?

Yes, I hear melodies all the time and, based on my coursework years ago (my first degree was in music theory/composition), it's very common practice. Most of my songwriting these days comes from starting with a chord progression/scratch track and listening to it until I come up with a melody I like. Other times, I'll just improvise over it with a piano or synth patch, or on my bass until ideas hit me. Other times, I'll send the scratch track (with or without melody ideas) to the singer and she'll start with that or create her own melody to fit her lyrics just from listening to it. This is where knowing some music theory is really beneficial - it makes it much easier to get ideas from your head into your DAW.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

All the time for me. Dreams of me recording new stuff in old studios, or playing shows with people i don't know. Usually Ill wake up with something from those. During the day everything sings, drums and drones musically if I let it. Can be a distractions at times. I remember being 5 or 6 and hearing the music in my moms vacuum cleaner. The back and forth rhythm whirring away. I can start with a little melody or beat and add in elements as needed to make most of an idea complete. Again, this can be a distraction from what I should be doing, or a pleasant pass time.

I am responding to the discussion mostly because I had an MRI on my eye last week. Forty minutes of weird and wonderful sound. Loud yes, but the annoyance of that soon went away. I knew about the mechanics of these machines and why the sounds are as they are. I was imagining the frequencies and speeds at which the super conductive bits were vibrating with each sound. My favourite was the last one. Had a nice beat, somewhat musical rising tone, I think and then a distinct metallic ting that rang for a moment. There was one sound that I remember being cool but was 2 1/2 bars of one note then 2 1/2 bars of another. I wished that was just 2 bars each as it threw me off a nit :)

Any way, that was inspiring to say the least.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Yep there were many situations for me when I heard the melodies in my head while doing the most mundane tasks. After that I would usually sing them in the phone so I don't forget them. I was never musically educated, I guess it just happens when you listen to lots of music through life. Interestingly though, If I first write a chorus, I'm gonna then have a problem coming up with a verse and vice versa. Depends on what comes first I guess...
I have nothing to do with BÖC, just a huge fan who couldn't find a better name at the time of registering.

I can relate as I tend to get melodies appearing at the most inopportune moments when I am away from the studio or my piano. If I have any manuscript nearby I will write the melody down quickly before it's gone with loose metering unless it is quite pronounced like 3/4 or 6/8. Failing that, just grab the phone and sing/hum in the melody and worry about it after.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

Is manuscript like toilet roll?

Adrian Earnshaw Music wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pm I can relate as I tend to get melodies appearing at the most inopportune moments when I am away from the studio or my piano.
Yup, never fails :dog: :cry:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

[quote=Aloysius post_id=8053929 time=1615483222 user_id=186852]
Is manuscript like toilet roll?
[/quote]

Only if you are caught short :o You can actually print off as much as you want from this site - https://www.blanksheetmusic.net/#piano quite handy if you are that way inclined.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose this is common among musicians, though not always easy to pass what is on the mind to the instrument.
I believe not being sure if a composition is original or heard before is also a common issue, and quite particular to this art - a poet could doubt if anyone has written before a phrase, but by coincidence, not by having read it before I suppose!

I heard once about a composer I admire much and that have done amazing melodies, that he has the habit of whistling the melodies he composed among the days that pass to slowly refine it. 😊
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”