vurt - moments becoming monuments (sample mangling)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this simple loop got chiseled and moulded in this thing

not saying it's all "good" but was damn fun stretching and twisting him by hand!!! :D

You are a genius and a magician. I cannot believe that you got all that from that 6 second drum loop. I don't see how it's even possible.

But damn, that was impressive.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 am You are a genius and a magician. I cannot believe that you got all that from that 6 second drum loop. I don't see how it's even possible.

magicians never reveal their tricks (except the ones that do) but i always enjoyed penn and teller, so ...
granular sampling and fx, hit the loop to play, turn knobs on modules, grin like cheshire cat.
that's my main method :hihi:

the true genius is in the module makers, mutable instruments, make noise, qbit and bastl 8)

thanks for listening :ud:

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 am You are a genius and a magician. I cannot believe that you got all that from that 6 second drum loop. I don't see how it's even possible.

magicians never reveal their tricks (except the ones that do) but i always enjoyed penn and teller, so ...
granular sampling and fx, hit the loop to play, turn knobs on modules, grin like cheshire cat.

the true genius is in the module makers, mutable instruments, make noise, qbit and bastl 8)

I do have mutable instruments modules for Softube Modular and I know what they are capable of so that explains a lot.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm

I do have mutable instruments modules for Softube Modular and I know what they are capable of so that explains a lot.
if you have clouds, that is part of it :tu:
morphagene from make noise acting more like a tape and razor, giving more cut up sounds, then clouds smearing it all 8)

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:22 pm

morphagene from make noise acting more like a tape and razor, giving more cut up sounds, then clouds smearing it all 8)
I don't do a lot of experimental stuff these days but I'm glad I have the tools available in case I get into that area again.

Oh, about to make an announcement on my thread.

Morpagene is a supreme sample f**ker-upper. Sounds great into Clouds. Thanks for sharing!
I hate to advertise on someone elses thread but... have you checked out my Morphagene reals on Freesound? They are free! :hihi:

I really liked the low rumbly bits in this. There are some really great transitions.

Nice stuff! :tu: I particularly liked the bit that sounded like an LFO routed to flanged pink noise. 8)

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:26 pm

I don't do a lot of experimental stuff these days but I'm glad I have the tools available in case I get into that area again.

you should check out some of the clouds videos, divkid does a good explanation of it :tu:
its far more than just an experimental noise machine, as good as it is for that. used more subtly it can be good for delay, harmonising and as a basic reverb. so much going on, ill never tire of it :love:

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:26 pm

you should check out some of the clouds videos, divkid does a good explanation of it :tu:
its far more than just an experimental noise machine, as good as it is for that. used more subtly it can be good for delay, harmonising and as a basic reverb. so much going on, ill never tire of it :love:
Thanks. Will do.

justin3am wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:28 pm Morpagene is a supreme sample f**ker-upper. Sounds great into Clouds. Thanks for sharing!
I hate to advertise on someone elses thread but... have you checked out my Morphagene reals on Freesound? They are free! :hihi:

I really liked the low rumbly bits in this. There are some really great transitions.
not a great advert if you forget a link :P
tbh, ive not got round to building "reels" yet, just using it to record live so far.
using the bastl grandpa for edited samples.
will get round to it as obviously it offers more control over the sliced regions, im not great at catching the loop points for splicing live :lol:

thanks for listening :tu:
(now link me!)

Erisian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm Nice stuff! :tu: I particularly liked the bit that sounded like an LFO routed to flanged pink noise. 8)
i really like the end :lol:
seriously, that ending is one of my best ends ever, will definitely be cutting that off for further use! :hihi:
thanks for listening :D

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm
tbh, ive not got round to building "reels" yet, just using it to record live so far.
will get round to it as obviously it offers more control over the sliced regions, im not great at catching the loop points for splicing live :lol:

(now link me!)
The trick to creating splices from the hardware, is to use a really small gene size, then scrub through the sample, using Slide, until you find the spot where you want the Splice.
...Or you can edit the sample in Reaper. Markers added to a sample (CMD+M) will be interpreted as Splices.

https://freesound.org/people/justin3am/packs/22744/

You know what man? I love the stuff you do so much, I'm going to put on my project to-do list "VURT - Virtual Universal Resynthesis Transmutation"

It's going to be a totally experimental album where I will try to sound like you and at the same time try to be somewhat catchy by throwing in short melodic motifs here and there.

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to it (to-do list is 10 projects long already) but I will eventually.

Stay tuned.

justin3am wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:07 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm

(now link me!)
The trick to creating splices from the hardware, is to use a really small gene size, then scrub through the sample, using Slide, until you find the spot where you want the Splice.
...Or you can edit the sample in Reaper. Markers added to a sample (CMD+M) will be interpreted as Splices.

https://freesound.org/people/justin3am/packs/22744/
cheers!
helpful stuff too 8)
is it only reaper or can i use something else? ie will samplitudes markers do the same? or are reapers special? :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”