Question about youtube production channels being a good idea vs...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRist
90 posts since 12 Mar, 2012

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:19 pm

Hey all, quick question, especially if you currently have a youtube music production channel.

Basically, I work full time but I've also been producing since 2010 and I want to make a youtube production channel on the side, and I think I will do it just for the fun of it.

Assume for arguments sake that I'm one of the bigger names (e.g. Sadowick, Slynk, BusyWorksBeats, YouSuckAtProducing, MusicByLukas, Jon Sine, etc etc)

My question is if I'm lucky enough to amass a following and meet the requirements, is the ad revenue or other sources of revenue that can come from it decent for music production channels? Does anyone know what the CPM/RPM for the category of music/edm production is?

It will probably be mostly edm related but I can also incorporate other genres and production in general.

I know it's heavily weighted on category and that financial/business channels do the best on YT.

I always wondered how well the big production channel guys do just because I only have time to pursue one other area with 100% effort besides my job and the other thing I was going to do instead was make rap beats to sell (because I assume they sell better than edm songs that dj's are too lazy to produce??)

**Side question if anyone knows the answer to that (sentence above) as well?**

I'd much rather make a channel and probably will vs. producing for others no matter what but it would be nice to just get an idea of what I'm potentially giving up or gaining besides just having fun doing it.

KVRAF
2088 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Dunno, but stopped watching and following most of these channels, most of the guys are just anonymous endorsement whores catering to newcomers with clickbait titles and whatnot, good luck, maybe there's market for that kind of content or you could instead make music for fun, instead of trying to make money from music.

KVRian
716 posts since 29 Jun, 2020

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:03 pm

^ this. There ain't no money in music these days. Arguably there never was, except for a tiny minority. But it sure is fun to make and that should suffice for most people. Too many Youtuber influencer twats (some good stuff too, mind)

KVRist
73 posts since 8 Oct, 2019 from Lannion, France

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 pm

I support youtube music related videos that i find useful by buying some albums on bandcamp they may link to in their videos. That makes 2 happy people. Example : Dash Glitch for sound design, which i find very rich in content.
Some make Patreons also ; i subscribed to questforgroove to practice finger drumming.
I'm grateful to them for their content, and it's well worth the small tips.

KVRAF
8000 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 pm

There is literally no answer to the OP.

These guys make ad revenue (nowhere near as much as you might think) and also secondary revenue from multiple different sources.

What you need to consider is the investment of time. There is no way around the fact that you have to put hours and hours of your life into this for 2-3 years before you even begin to see a financial return. Don't underestimate how long it takes to prepare, record and edit videos. It's something I do for a living, and it's incredibly time consuming. If you're not in a position to quit your job and do YT full time, you can pretty much forget seeing anything out of it before say 5 years, if you're really lucky too. It is hyper, hyper saturated.

KVRist
227 posts since 2 Sep, 2012

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Go with what you think you’re going to enjoy the most. Money shouldn’t be the main motivator.

KVRian
688 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:16 pm

DMG68 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm
Go with what you think you’re going to enjoy the most. Money shouldn’t be the main motivator.
This.

You say you think you will do it just for the fun of it, but then spend the rest of the post speculating on monetizing it.

If you really want to do it for fun, then do it.
If EDM is your thing, then stick with that.
If your content is really good, people will share it and ask for more.
If you're doing it for fame and fortune, you'll likely be disappointed.

KVRAF
6433 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Forget youtube. Make it an onlyfans page if you want to make money :shrug:

KVRer
13 posts since 2 Mar, 2021 from Southport, UK

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:57 am

Even if you can make money at it, relying on someone else's algorithm is risky. By that I mean if YT decides to tweak their suggestion algo and your views go down OR change their payout-revenue calcs downwards and you're reliant on it you're screwed...
zedstarr HQ
zedstarr sounds
32.45% of statistics are made up on the spot...

KVRAF
4132 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:30 am

I'm not doing this for money for sure (quite the opposite), but for fame and recognition ;) The main advantage of Youtube is that it grows and can eventually reach pretty much every potential listener on Earth.
relying on someone else's algorithm is risky.
I recently learned that video tags need to match closely the main topic of the video. Otherwise people might see them in their search results, but never click or be dissapointed by lack of relevance. An example: Tagging "Serum" in a video that only uses Serum for one or two sounds at 7-minute mark is a bad idea :P

Another tip: Colorful miniatures get at least an order of magnitude more clicks than simple miniatures with just a text.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”