Why doesn't Trash 2 get much love at this price ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've found that it is a bit heavy on resources based on it's feature set. It is also a relatively easy to replace processor with some of the replacements being better at what trash does. It's fine for the crazy low prices it's available at. I can see how it would be underwhelming for people who have a wide pallette of processors.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I'm actually getting into Trash at the moment. I've been experimenting with its Waveshaper creating manual shapes so I can better understand what it does in an audible sense.

It's extremely unstable for me. It should work perfectly if installed with admin rights but I just let their Product Portal do the job and it's not going well. Sometimes I can't open projects with Trash2 in them. It's a bug they know about but...

k

the higher the price the more praise ;-)

Perhaps Trash 3 is on the horizon . . . quoted from Izotope's Twitter feed:

"Research Team's newest paper (accepted at ICASSP 2021) is up on arXiv: "Lightweight and interpretable neural modeling of an audio distortion effect using hyperconditioned differentiable biquads" by Shahan Nercessian, Andy Sarroff and myself (https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.08709)."
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

-subscription only- :D

also heads up, don't buy the intro price. it's gonna be 30% cheaper via plugin boutique in a month.

Ploki wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 am -subscription only- :D
Oh, that's what hyperconditioned differentiable biquads means. 😆

I do really like Trash2 and look forward to Trash3. I hope they don't make it subscription though.

I feel like Trash is just a bit out of step with what people seem to want these days. Most distortions now seem to be analog modeled to some extent (or don't let you peek behind the curtain, at least) while Trash makes no bones about being a fairly straight digital waveshaper with roots in the time when that was all you could get in plugin format.

It's been a few years since I loaded it up but, back then at least, it was definitely a plugin that needed some love too. There are a few workflow niggles like the tabbed GUI becoming tabs-within-tabs in multiband mode, and some bizarre oversights like the convolver's maximum impulse length being so absurdly constrained that many of Izotope's own impulses from the expansions are cut short upon loading.

I really think the main issue with Trash 2 is the interface, which is terrible. It’s also not the best go-to for natural (analog modeled) distortions. There are much better choices for things of that flavor. However, if you overlook the janky UI, and like interesting distortion algorithms that are beyond the usual, it can get to places that other plugins don’t really go. I often use it as a one-stop processor for guitar when I want the guitar to sound... well, like trash.

Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think Trash is excellent. If you close your eyes and use conservative settings it does subtle saturation really well. It just doesn’t look like it because the interface isn’t modeled after some old rack equipment with glowing tubes and fake smudges on the faceplate.

Sound is one of the best features of Trash 2 for sure. When I think pure digital I think something more like https://distocore.online/disto_fx.html but even that can have some really nice sounds to it (only used free version)

cron wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm I feel like Trash is just a bit out of step with what people seem to want these days. Most distortions now seem to be analog modeled to some extent (or don't let you peek behind the curtain, at least) while Trash makes no bones about being a fairly straight digital waveshaper with roots in the time when that was all you could get in plugin format.

It's been a few years since I loaded it up but, back then at least, it was definitely a plugin that needed some love too. There are a few workflow niggles like the tabbed GUI becoming tabs-within-tabs in multiband mode, and some bizarre oversights like the convolver's maximum impulse length being so absurdly constrained that many of Izotope's own impulses from the expansions are cut short upon loading.
wha-da-you on about?
ya still gots-tha convolution which iz quite useful for a-lo-of shit

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:49 pm It’s also not the best go-to for natural (analog modeled) distortions
What would be your preference for analog modelled distortion these days?

I agree that it has an issue with the gui.

1. I think that 90% of the time, for the results (which are usually good; I like Trash) the gui is massive overkill in terms of what your ears hear vs what your brain and mouse hand deals with.

2. I think people expect something that more closely replicates hardware controls from a device that sounds like hardware (even if that hardware is a storage container, or a broken radio).

I like Trash, but I don't often use it because it slows me down due to the gui.

Return to “Effects”