Skins you're most impressed by

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Razzia wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:21 pm I still think for utility per square inch it's hard to beat Avenger. It's not the most eye pleasing UI ever but it does its job and packs a million things into a UI that is neither cluttered nor confusing. I Just wish the browser wasn't always open, maybe expand the FX section so you could work more comfortably with the FX a la phase plant.

I like it be in some ways is a bit overwhelming. I get it because it can do a ton, but the layout is a bit... much

My reskin of Hive 2.

Original

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

more purple sexys. need color in my life more now then ever.

EnGee wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am Anyway, from the most inviting GUI and design, Original Massive and Razor. I can spend long hours editing sounds with a smile using those two synths! I just love everything about them :)

Original Massive.jpg
I still do not understand or agree with Massive X's departure from Massive. Name me one thing about the synth that is the same? They didn't use the same design language (blue color, the logo, the fonts, the grid-like layout and UI elements) and it's certainly unrelated in the actual DSP and functionality.

It's a new synth, not Massive.

/rant over

dangayle wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:18 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am Anyway, from the most inviting GUI and design, Original Massive and Razor. I can spend long hours editing sounds with a smile using those two synths! I just love everything about them :)

Original Massive.jpg
I still do not understand or agree with Massive X's departure from Massive. Name me one thing about the synth that is the same? They didn't use the same design language (blue color, the logo, the fonts, the grid-like layout and UI elements) and it's certainly unrelated in the actual DSP and functionality.

It's a new synth, not Massive.

/rant over
There are many things similar, but also Massive X came with new things. The routing also is much more flexible than the original Massive.
Well, although I like the colours and design of original Massive more, I still think that Massive X is a masterpiece. Maybe when computers become faster after few years, MX will be more popular.

elxsound wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm Image

:love:
Even the site is dope. DedSec (Watch_Dogs) fans?
Aye, the promo vids, esp. the first one for MISHBY, are a fun, if not slightly unnerving watch :)

The crime hole is a nice touch if you're short of few sheckels.

Razzia wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:21 pm I still think for utility per square inch it's hard to beat Avenger. It's not the most eye pleasing UI ever but it does its job and packs a million things into a UI that is neither cluttered nor confusing. I Just wish the browser wasn't always open, maybe expand the FX section so you could work more comfortably with the FX a la phase plant.

I absolutely hate Avengers GUI, its the reason I won't buy it. Cramped, hard to work with and thats a deal breaker for me.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm My reskin of Hive 2.

Original

Sorry, but that's a good example of a skin made to look "impressive" but barely useable.

Everything is too dark, almost no contrast. The original Hive skin is much better in this aspect (and looks better overall, IMO)

Another example is a skin posted in the Vital thread with a bit similar color scheme, it looked nice on a screenshot but when I installed that skin it turned out that I don't really enjoy using it (actually can barely read it).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm My reskin of Hive 2.

Original

Sorry, but that's a good example of a skin made to look "impressive" but barely useable.

Everything is too dark, almost no contrast. The original Hive skin is much better in this aspect (and looks better overall, IMO)

Another example is a skin posted in the Vital thread with a bit similar color scheme, it looked nice on a screenshot but when I installed that skin it turned out that I don't really enjoy using it (actually can barely read it).
I tend to agree. What many people don't seem to understand about dark themes, is that something which is too dark is just as fatuiging as something bright.

Even the big boys like Microsoft don't understand this, check out the Settings panel in dark mode on Windows 10, it's horrible.

While I'm a happy Windows 10 user again now, I will absolutely admit that Apple "gets it" when it comes to dark mode. macOS in dark mode looks absolutely stunning and it seems that 3rd party apps respect this design language too. It's so gentle and pleasing on the eyes.

Of course, more power to anyone creating their own skins, and we all see the world differently.

recursive one wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am Everything is too dark, almost no contrast. The original Hive skin is much better in this aspect (and looks better overall, IMO)
I tend to disagree with disagreement.
The dark skin works for me fine. The only thing which doesn't - the knob position has been made less readable.
It's a shame the picture's gone.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I made an Ableton skin some time ago. I used a website with an app for it. But it was not easy balancing all the components.

I first wanted to make a really dark one--but visible for my bad eyes. I like thing dim to avoid the blare of backlit screens. I could not achieve this, however. When too dark, gridlines were hard to see. Labels were hard to see. And there are a good number of button types and pull-down menus to consider. When I finished, it was not dark at all. And somehow, the buttons on groups are really hard to see, and the unselected loop bar is hard to see. I just settled on this:

Diva's stock skin really got me. Before I got Diva--but when I had in mind to get it--I kept thinking of it every time I saw a deep red colored car. Not bad marketing effect.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:20 am

I absolutely hate Avengers GUI, its the reason I won't buy it. Cramped, hard to work with and thats a deal breaker for me.
To each his own. Lots of knobs close together, sure, but I don't personally feel that it's any more cramped than something like Hive, which I also love. Although I do agree that the always-open browser makes it feel more cramped than need be

What I love about it is the logical layout and the economy of space relative to the ridiculous amount of features. Lots of things that take up almost no space but save a bunch of hassle. Like each oscillator has its own white noise knob, and that noise osc has its own built in filter via rightclick + drag, and a small slider just beneath it with sample rate reduction for the noise osc. Same sort of deal with oscillator sync. In like a square centimeter of screen space you got something that potentially saves you a whole bunch of steps.

EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:11 pm Maybe when computers become faster after few years, MX will be more popular.
I find MX quite good on the CPU.

MX will be more popular when they add a browser, midi learn/automation and MSEG's.

Return to “Instruments”